Police Check Requirements

POLICE CHECK CERTICATE

If your friend resides in the UK, they must go to their local police station.

They have to request a form to complete. This will also need a signature and address of a professional person who has known them for a few years or more. I.e: a Solicitor, Teacher, Doctor. They may charge for this, or they may not.

They return the completed form to their local police station, accompanied with money valued £10 UK sterling.

ALLOW up to 40 days for the certificate to be sent out by post.

Phoning the police at any time to seek advice on where they are at as regards the check, will not speed up the time taken for them to receive the certificate from the police.

Hope this helps

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(spelling error corrected)

Please clarify if the person needs a clearance from the Thai police or the police of their own country. Check here and under the Thai Visas forum for topics such as that, which have been covered in confusing detail. Left handed Irishmen need to be on their giardia, for example; it's complex.

It is becoming evident that this requirement is not dying as quick a death as we'd hoped, though not much more information has become available. To facilitate discussion without multiplication of threads, I'm pinning this topic for now and will be merging some related threads.

• 2 weeks later...

seems like a good idea anyway.You would expect this to happen in your own country.I know minor offences are usually wiped within 6 years (cautions).If you are prosecuted they last much,much longer unless the details are lost which has been known after some period of time.As for the person who got caught for a minor shoplifting 20 years ago i wouldn't worry too much you could probably get a job as a policeman now.It all depends how strict they want to be but surely they couldn't bring that up now!

• 2 weeks later...
seems like a good idea anyway.You would expect this to happen in your own country.I know minor offences are usually wiped within 6 years (cautions).If you are prosecuted they last much,much longer unless the details are lost which has been known after some period of time.As for the person who got caught for a minor shoplifting 20 years ago i wouldn't worry too much you could probably get a job as a policeman now.It all depends how strict they want to be but surely they couldn't bring that up now!

The sybject access report will show all convictions wheter they are spent under the Rehabilitaion of Offenders Act or not. It doesn't matter if it occured yesterday, 10 or 20 years ago. It's not a matter of the the authorities being nice or not. You are asking for a report in black and white of what the authorities know about you ie are you on the Police National Computer. This isn't what Subject Access was originally designed for but at present is is being abused but as yet it hasn't been made illegal to do so.

Hi,

I have a minor shoplifting offence that happened over 20 years ago, paid a small fine etc, do you think this will go against me getting a teachers job or visas etc in thailand.......

Thanks

Barry

Barry, I hope you're still reading. Nobody knows. It depends first of all how minor your offence was considered by the record keepers in that country, and whether they have a statute of limitations on old minor offences. I would suggest you try to get a record of your police clearance and see what it says. If it's still on there, it will look bad. But 20 years is a long time, and if you've had responsible positions since then, it may be insignificant.

Hi peaceblonde,

(Sorry for the delay but there was a problem with the link)

I did write to the National Identification service about my conviction & they replied.

Under previous guidlines a single arrest & conviction would retain a record for a minimum period of ten years, More than three convictions or term of dentention/imprisonment of 6 months or more would retain a record for life, or any other serious offences would also retain for life, The weeding policy was implemented on a "come to notice" basis which means that if i had applied for my subject access prior to the 1st april 2006 my record would have been weeded, as this is not the case my record will remain for the foreseeable future.....They do go on to say that there will be new guidelines regarding the weeding of records at the end of this year.........Back to my offence, it was a petty offence, a won off, something that to this day, i am still ashamed of, saying that im all for Criminal Record Checks, but i just hope that i wont be punished for something i did a long time ago........

Baz

• 3 months later...

I've just had this surreal conversation with the HR department at the University where I work:

HR: You need Criminal record to work here

ME: Well I don't have one

HR: You have to get one

ME: I have a letter from the Police in the UK (Subject Access Request)

It is scrutinised then...

HR: It doesn't say anything, it is blank

ME: That's because I don't have a criminal record

HR: You need a criminal record to work here.....

Has it not occurred to the Police in the UK that instead of filling a page with gobbledegook about Data Protection followed by a blank page that it might, just might, be a tad confusing to a non english speaker. It is supposed to say what criminal convictions or entries on the Sex Offenders Register etc. (if any) the person named in the letter has and if they haven't got any then say so: The person named in this letter has no convictions what exactly is so difficult about that?

• 2 weeks later...
It is becoming evident that this requirement is not dying as quick a death as we'd hoped, though not much more information has become available. To facilitate discussion without multiplication of threads, I'm pinning this topic for now and will be merging some related threads.

Why is this not a good thing? Improvement usually costs money.

A criminal record check is necessary to protect the innocent. People who have done bad things should engage in other work. I recommend the document be presented as certified translation from stamped apostile document. The employer should cover the costs or at least specify a reaonable amount that they will cover up to based on actual costs. When the standards go up, the pay has to go up also at least in a tight labor market.

I cannot imagine that there are people beating the doors down for a low paying job. If they're then requiring a police background check it is a good idea, again to protect the innocent.

Will we now see Khaosan Road background checks?

I have seen far to many phonies in Thailand to think that raising the bar will not somehow benefit those who are qualified and can provide evidence of being of sound character. Why else would a person for no need lead a life devoid of criminal conviction if they did not expect to somehow be rewarded for choosing the straight and narrow?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Has anyone got any updates on what is actually contained in the subject access disclosures from the UK Police? Has anyone who had a minor conviction years ago or a conditional discharge actually applied and received one?

I have recently taken a job and applied for the subject access £10 a go report - I have a very minor conviction for public order back in 1989 and a conditional discharge from 1999 and I'm banking these will not included on the report.

Any insight from those in a similar position much appreciated

cheers

Richie

Hi,

Has anyone got any updates on what is actually contained in the subject access disclosures from the UK Police? Has anyone who had a minor conviction years ago or a conditional discharge actually applied and received one?

I have recently taken a job and applied for the subject access £10 a go report - I have a very minor conviction for public order back in 1989 and a conditional discharge from 1999 and I'm banking these will not included on the report.

Any insight from those in a similar position much appreciated

cheers

Richie

They will appear on the subject access report. You might like to try for the 'basic disclosure' which is available from CRB Scotland. It's unlear if the Thai authorities will accept it. It appears the Koreans do. Spent convictions will not appear on it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an Australian with a BA from a Sandstone University. What I'm reading in this thread scares me. Twenty Five years ago I was arrested for a small amount of POT I got a $200 fine. This will come up on my police check, will the Thai authorities still allow me to teach?

I do know that Thailand has very tough Drug Laws, I have also read in other forums that one can get ten years goal for one joint! However, from that time twenty five years ago I have never been arrested for anything or had any other trouble with the Australian police. Will this fact go in my favour or will the Thai authorities simply refuse me to teach.

Terry.

^Nobody knows!

Until things are made clearer, I'm afraid I couldn't recommend that you (or anyone else with a shadow of a doubt about the results) come here to try working as a teacher.

Hello

First post here, and I'm afraid not a positive start.

I am from the Uk, and got a caution for cannabis possession 14 years ago ( when I was 17). No trouble ever since - this was a one off.

Amazing how one indiscretion in one's youth, can have such an impact further down the line.

I was considering moving to Thailand in a few years. My wife has been with me in the Uk for the past two years. Plan was to wait until she had a british passport ( to end the visa issues here in the Uk), and then give it a go in thailand. Now have to think of another way to make some a living.

Although I gather that I could still teach adults..........

Ho Hum

Mike :o

^Nobody knows!

Until things are made clearer, I'm afraid I couldn't recommend that you (or anyone else with a shadow of a doubt about the results) come here to try working as a teacher.

Hello

I am from the Uk, and got a caution for cannabis possession 14 years ago ( when I was 17). No trouble ever since - this was a one off.

Amazing how one indiscretion in one's youth, can have such an impact further down the line.

I was considering moving to Thailand in a few years. My wife has been with me in the Uk for the past two years. Plan was to wait until she had a british passport ( to end the visa issues here in the Uk), and then give it a go in thailand. Now have to think of another way to make a living.

Ho Hum

^Nobody knows!

Hello

I was considering moving to Thailand in a few years. My wife has been with me in the Uk for the past two years. Plan was to wait until she had a british passport ( to end the visa issues here in the Uk), and then give it a go in thailand. Now have to think of another way to make some a living.

Ho Hum

Apparently it may not show - it depends on how well the the local cop shop kept records. The best thing to do is get the clearance cert and see if anything shows up.

There's also a lot of talk of the unfairness of all this (particularly in a case like yours) and it may well be that things change by the time you plan to go to Thailand. Let me know what shows up if you get the cert.

• 3 months later...

hi guys.....

just a quick one.....i`m want to submit my visa application in australia for a non b multiple entry.

i have 2 convictions in the last 5 years. one is for driving whilst disqualified , and the other is for speeding.

do you think my police clearance should be fine??? maybe i`m over worried???

aNDy

Maybe that is an unknown unknown. I do not know if honorary consulates require police checks for teachers now, then, there, etc. Driving violations may not count. What if you find a consulate that requires no police check, and get a copy of your report, separately? Then, if you are later asked for the report in Thailandm, you can submit what you have.

Maybe that is an unknown unknown. I do not know if honorary consulates require police checks for teachers now, then, there, etc. Driving violations may not count. What if you find a consulate that requires no police check, and get a copy of your report, separately? Then, if you are later asked for the report in Thailandm, you can submit what you have.

Thanks for you prompt response peace...

hmmm......i`m far confused still but i think i`m on the right track...(i hope)

not sure if i should be asking you on this thread either....BUT

my situation is ì came to thailand on a tourist visa did visa runs for 3 months.

now i am back in sydney ready to leave to thailand again applying for a NON IM B VISA

Enrol into SEE TEFL progame and get the paperwork and back up for my VISA

get a police clearence check

I have already purchased a ticket to BKK with thai airways which is only a (one way ticket) <---now is this o.k when applying for a one year visa or do i still need proof of a departing ticket???

submit all this to the thai consulate in brisbane for my visa.....

thanks peace if you could help guide me through this procedure, you would be a great help!

andY

thanks blondie!

I had a chat with MR John Quinn, very helpful guy.....he has helped me alot with my situation so i will definently enrol for his course.

hope all goes well with my visa and police checks!! and hope to SEE ya in chiang mai!

thanks for you help Blondie!

andy

I do like this link on the home page though:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/

"A criminal record is now required to teach"!

I love it- it sums up everything about thailand in a few words, and whats so beautiful is that they wrote it.

So, they don,t need foreign teachers don,t they?

I called them asked them if my speeding offences counted, that was over a year ago.

All the other stuff is easy to get around.

Theres books on it- paladin press, loompanics, etc

In order to immigrate to New Zealand, it is also necessary to provide a police clearance. So when I was thinking of immigrating to New Zealand a couple of years ago, I came across this file on a New Zealand government website with a list of where to get police certificates for 168 different countries. The information in this file might be helpful to some people.

policecerts.pdf

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the current situation in Vientiane regarding police checks? Are they needed?

I was planning to go in a couple of weeks to get my B visa.

There doesn't seem to be the facility to apply / pay for a subject access report from the UK and it takes about 40 days to come through (so I'm told).

Could I get my B visa without it in Vientiane? All my other documents (both mine and the schools) are present and correct.

Anyone been recently??

After 6 years living (but not working) in Thialand, I'm considering moving to Vietnam and to initially do some teaching, (I have Masters and Bachelor degrees from the UK, plus TEFL).

In order to minimise any problems in working legally in Vietnam, I want to obtain a police record check from the Thai police office in BKK, (as previously detailed on this thread).

I understand that one of the documents that is required for the application is your work permit or proof of residence. I have no WP and my name does not appear on the blue house book of my ex's residence in Phuket where I currently live.

Since I will have to come up to BKK from Phuket, I want to make sure that I have all the necessary documents.

How can I obtain proof of my residence address in Phuket? My name doesn't seem to appear on any documents, (although I do report my address every 90 days to Immigration).

Thanks

Simon

• 2 months later...

I don't plan on going to thailand for about 4 months. I'm currently in Korea (which also requires an FBI check, which I passed.)

If I send off for my criminal record report from the FBI now, will it be valid there in 4 months? Also, it's just a print off, and a stamp on the back that says "no record".

I don't plan on going to thailand for about 4 months. I'm currently in Korea (which also requires an FBI check, which I passed.)

If I send off for my criminal record report from the FBI now, will it be valid there in 4 months? Also, it's just a print off, and a stamp on the back that says "no record".

It is unknown. This whole subject seems to have gone silent, or blown over. Still, your better schools may ask for it, and you know how to get a new one. By the time you get it and arrive here, the FBI check will be current enough I think.

• 2 months later...

I have read the posts about police checks with interest.

Can I just ask, if the Thai police check is an internal check only.

I was advised that the Thai police, took your personal and passport information to check it against police records from your country of origen.This is in addittion to making checks in Thailand. Is this correct.

I am in the process of applying for a job in Thailand, but am worried about going through the whole visa application process, because it looks like a minefield.

I have appliad for a basic disclosure certificate from the UK. But I won't have it by the time I hit Thailand, and start my proposed new job. Also do I need to get the basic disclosure certificate signed by the Foriegn Office.

Any advice would be appreciated. :o

Edited by sunshine108