Motorbike umbrellas can pose a danger, says Thai official

webfact

Motorbike umbrellas can pose a danger, says official

By The Nation

f3cac9ee4bdd0e0a9b8f251e92f4b48a-atwb.jp

BANGKOK: -- Make sure that your umbrella structure is properly secured on your motorcycle, warns the Transport Department.

A new product that is making inroads in the Thai market this rainy season could pose harm to both motorcyclists and those sharing the roads with them.

Department chief Sanit Phromwong said on Friday that his office has asked officials to talk to motorcyclists who have installed the device. Officials are likely to require removal of the umbrellas.

Sanit cited an inspection of umbrella structures that motorcyclists were installing as protection from wind and rain. They found the device had no engineering stability and could cause harm if the structure began to shake, swing side to side, or fall off while the motorcycle was in motion, he said. The rather tall structure could also adversely affect balance of the motorcycle or block the rider's visibility, he warned.

“Any modification and installation of parts onto cars or motorcycles must undergo stability and safety tests and be granted permission from the registration officials first, so such approved structure would also be recorded in the car/motorcycle registration booklet,” he reminded motorcyclists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322072

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-28

What a stupid idea, new product just somebody trying to make money, with no thought given to safety.

Those things should be sold with a health warning....Using 1 of these is dangerous to your health and well being.

Can you still fit 5 kids and a dog or do you have to now limit passengers to 3 and dog?

Well, I had a look at one today in town. I reckon you could get me (big boned), Best Beloved (5'3"), Little Miss JAG(12 yrs old) and Snowball and Cookie ( chihuahuas) on board.

Little Miss JAG thought it looked cute, but I don't think it would fit with my lean mean steely eyed killer image. Mind you the chihuahuas don't help with that either...

59 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well, I had a look at one today in town. I reckon you could get me (big boned), Best Beloved (5'3"), Little Miss JAG(12 yrs old) and Snowball and Cookie ( chihuahuas) on board.

Little Miss JAG thought it looked cute, but I don't think it would fit with my lean mean steely eyed killer image. Mind you the chihuahuas don't help with that either...

Stick with the tried and tested one hand job..rainy2.jpg.efa77254db4837eada41e7d13a494001.jpg

or get the family on board with 2 hand jobs.rainy.jpg.b7a563365f088176197cc9f0b59a46b4.jpg

and get a sidecar for the perros .              .chih.jpg.818d59333247f873eb2f1e2e6a2570b3.jpg  

1 hour ago, JAG said:

These things are a danger IMHO, i find 2 up a motorbike a drag.. you trying 3 and a dog (if your serious that is).. i take it you are in my weight level (or heavier) would that bike still move ? Just be careful with such a thing.. im sure you would take it slow.. but IMHO these things are an accident waiting to happen for those that drive to fast (or are passed by a truck that gives a wind burst too). 

1 hour ago, losworld said:

what is the point of the c1 it offers minimal rain protection from sidewindes and the glass would magify the heat... bad engineering...

The main point in Germany at least by law you did not have to wear a helmet riding one .Also the windshield had a car wiper blade .They did not sell well though .From memory they first had a 125 cc engine ,which made it under powered  ,but later increased to 200 cc .

9 minutes ago, anto said:

The main point in Germany at least by law you did not have to wear a helmet riding one .Also the windshield had a car wiper blade .They did not sell well though .From memory they first had a 125 cc engine ,which made it under powered  ,but later increased to 200 cc .

Pity they stopped making them. However, I tried one some years back and when turning, the whole thing felt like it was going to fall down due to the higher gravity center...perhaps a matter of habbit?...

However, to get back to topic, better get drenched then crushed as the plastic stuff on the picture is not tested, seems highly dangerous at the slightest gust of wind and I would never never put one on my scooter...

These cheap scooter plastic gimmicks are much more dangerous for people then say the E-Vap electronic cigarettes that are banned!!!!

28 minutes ago, anto said:

Can't see the wiper cleaning off the side of your head if a truck goes by or a strong rainstorm with heavy winds lol...

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Department chief Sanit Phromwong said on Friday that his office has asked officials to talk to motorcyclists who have installed the device. Officials are likely to require removal of the umbrellas.

and at the local level, who might those officials be ? doubt anything will happen

15 hours ago, webfact said:

"Any modification and installation of parts onto cars or motorcycles.....so such approved structure would also be recorded in the car/motorcycle registration booklet,”

According to this, anything connected additionally to a vehicle must be listed in the "registration booklet" Guessing it means the green owner's document?

Following that, does it mean a shopping basket on the front/rear of a motorbike, or a rear box and rack, have to be listed in there too, in order to comply?

19 hours ago, robblok said:
These things are a danger IMHO, i find 2 up a motorbike a drag.. you trying 3 and a dog (if your serious that is).. i take it you are in my weight level (or heavier) would that bike still move ? Just be careful with such a thing.. im sure you would take it slow.. but IMHO these things are an accident waiting to happen for those that drive to fast (or are passed by a truck that gives a wind burst too). 

I have no intention <deleted> getting one!

2 hours ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

I have ridden both in the past. Comparing the Quasar to the C1 is like comparing a sports car to a milk float. A fantastic machine to ride and light years ahead of the newer C1.

I lived for 20 years plus in the UK and never saw a Quasar .Saw several BMX C1 though .

No wonder i never saw a Quasar ,and i used to go to the BMF , Pererborough Motorcycle Show every May .I found this ,

>>

Although they had launched a publicity campaign to gain interest in the bike, even after they began to receive enquiries Wilson Brothers did not provide enough funds for production to meet demand. Between December 1976 and October 1979, they only produced a total of six vehicles. In 1980, John Malfoy, who had originally designed the Quasar's unique fluorescent rear light, persuaded his employers, Romarsh, of Calne, to manufacture five Quasars under licence from Wilson Brothers. All five vehicles were sold by December 1981, and a further batch of ten was prepared starting in August.

When Romarsh collapsed, John Malfoy bought the remaining parts and assembled several more machines, and Malcolm Newell independently made at least one more from parts. Only 21 Reliant engined Quasars were produced, <<

13 hours ago, anto said:

The judgement of the concept is in your own words - "They did not sell well though."

I remember a ~120km ride on a Guzzi 850 Le Mans in very wet conditions. With a bikini fairing and a pair of silly-looking leg guards, it kept me completely dry except for the toes of my boots, with an occasional dribble off the helmet down the back of my neck at slow speed. My sun faded summer gloves were still more brown than black. That is engineering excellence.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

The judgement of the concept is in your own words - "They did not sell well though."

I remember a ~120km ride on a Guzzi 850 Le Mans in very wet conditions. With a bikini fairing and a pair of silly-looking leg guards, it kept me completely dry except for the toes of my boots, with an occasional dribble off the helmet down the back of my neck at slow speed. My sun faded summer gloves were still more brown than black. That is engineering excellence.

I had a BMW R80RT myself and toured around Europe with it .The fairing was the best in its class at the time and the Horizontal engine cylinders kept the feet warm ;-) 

1 minute ago, anto said:

I had a BMW R80RT myself and toured around Europe with it .The fairing was the best in its class at the time and the Horizontal engine cylinders kept the feet warm ;-) 

But tilting them up 45 degrees stops them dragging on the ground.

Archived