Worst flooding in Kalasin in 40 years as residents evacuated and roads paralyzed

rooster59

Worst flooding in Kalasin in 40 years as residents evacuated and roads paralyzed

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1owG7ExmIGLM5zD4.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

The mayor of Kalasin in Thailand's north east said that the city was experiencing its worst flooding in forty years after water from a reservoir inundated the city.

The runoff from the Huay Sithon reservoir to the north of the city flooded ten communities and made several roads impassable including Route 227 that had water nearly a meter deep.

Mayor Jaruwat Bunpherm said that power had been cut for safety reasons and that an emergency shelter had been set up at Wat Hor Traipitkaram to house residents who had to evacuate.

He said that his staff had manned boats to rescue people unable to help themselves as people moved valuables high up and fled ten inundated communities.

He told Thai Raththat the flooding was the worst experienced there in forty years.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-29

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I watched tropical storm Sonca form off the coast of Vietnam more than a week ago.

I texted my friends up north three days ago to get ready.

What is the Thais governments excuse?

Did you text the government 3 days ago too ?

If not, then that is they're excuse :)

With the sheer amount of water dumped by Storm Sonca across Isaan, I am guessing it is going to cause serious flooding all the way down the Mun and Chi rivers, eventually getting to Ubon and causing a lot of damage down there, especially where govt and people have built on the floodplain all sorts of structures in last decade. This will not only see them flooded, but will cause worse flooding upstream, as the roads, warehouses, Central, schools, houses, temples, etc., all act as one big barrier (i.e. dam) to the flow of water d/s. The poorly climate proofed infrastructure will both be a victim and cause of flooding, as it was in the Chao Phraya basin in 2011, when the floodwater lasted 3-4 months. Isaan is not quite so vulnerable as Central Plains, with less valuable infrastructure on the floodplain, but the inability to learn the lessons of past flood events and plan for future ones is identical.

6 minutes ago, plachon said:

With the sheer amount of water dumped by Storm Sonca across Isaan, I am guessing it is going to cause serious flooding all the way down the Mun and Chi rivers, eventually getting to Ubon and causing a lot of damage down there, especially where govt and people have built on the floodplain all sorts of structures in last decade. This will not only see them flooded, but will cause worse flooding upstream, as the roads, warehouses, Central, schools, houses, temples, etc., all act as one big barrier (i.e. dam) to the flow of water d/s. The poorly climate proofed infrastructure will both be a victim and cause of flooding, as it was in the Chao Phraya basin in 2011, when the floodwater lasted 3-4 months. Isaan is not quite so vulnerable as Central Plains, with less valuable infrastructure on the floodplain, but the inability to learn the lessons of past flood events and plan for future ones is identical.

And keep in mind that we are still in July and that the rain season still has at least 3 more months to go!

Thanks for the info on this guys.

I need to get from Ubon to Nong Khai next Tuesday.

Can anyone give an update(s) on the major route between the two.

I normally take the Roi Et to Khon Kaen option, Using the Baan Bo / 2116 rather than going through Sarakam. The the Yang Talat and Huai Mek roads. Could anyone local round there advise on the situation.

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I watched tropical storm Sonca form off the coast of Vietnam more than a week ago.

Local government has been "preparing" for at least 4 days ... http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321734

2,000 sandbags, apparently! :shock1:

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Local government has been "preparing" for at least 4 days ... http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321734

2,000 sandbags, apparently! :shock1:

We here was warned 5 days ago by head man. Villagers did there best but with no sand bags (not that they would have been any good.)

We did at least manage to vet all furniture and stuff up high in most homes before it hit.

As we ie our house is higher (built it up 2mtrs before building bloody glad we did now). We got all the elderly and vunrable at ours second night tonight. Rain stopped now but water not going down yet.

9 hours ago, Patriot said:

Thanks for the info on this guys.

I need to get from Ubon to Nong Khai next Tuesday.

Can anyone give an update(s) on the major route between the two.

I normally take the Roi Et to Khon Kaen option, Using the Baan Bo / 2116 rather than going through Sarakam. The the Yang Talat and Huai Mek roads. Could anyone local round there advise on the situation.

Thanks in advance

Kalasin City is sill ok.  Really bad outside the city itself though.

Sakon Nakohn has up to 6 feet deep water within the city.  Hospital there in pretty bad shape, patients were moved elsewhere or higher levels.

I was just in Sakon Nakohn and Kalasin and Khon Kaen and Udon Thani...all back in June.  Seemed like it only rained at night and wasn't too bad.

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

They don't need an excuse, this is the NE not Bangkok, not only don't they care, they're probably laughing....

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

global warming lol

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, NCC1701A said:

They obviously believed that Sonca wouldn't be granted a visa for Thailand!

Archived