Chong Jom Vs Chong sa Ngam border crossing

dreaming

I will be travelling from sisaket to siem reap in a few days time. I see there are 2 border crossings close by. Can anyone give the current pros and cons of either crossing. I will be driving to the border with my elderly mother and thai girlfriend and leaving the car. So these are my questions:

1. Which one is quicker in terms of travel time and clearing immigration

2. Which one would have the better parking

3. My thai girlfriend has a passport. Does she need the same visa as us (aussies) or does she get something different

4. I exchanged some baht for US$, but only $100 notes. Is that going to be a problem with change at the border

5. From what I understand we need passport photos for the visa (Including girlfriend)

6. Is it easy to find a taxi straight after passing immigration (that is, do we have to walk far)

7. There is a bit of flooding around the area at the moment. Has it affected the roads between sisaket and siem reap

Thanks

I cannot help with most of your questions.

3. She will get a  free 14 day visa exempt entry. No need for a visa on arrival unless staying longer than 14 days.

5. Yes you will need photos yourself and your mother.

2)Parking at Chong Chom easy..100bt/day

4)Cambodian immigration both locations will relieve you and your mother of $35 for a visa (official price $30) They may even refuse US$ and insist on payment in baht, perhaps requesting 1,500baht each. No visa for your girlfriend, but at Chong Chom she will be required to pay 100bt prior to entry

6) Unlikely to find a taxi at chong-sa-ngam, although should find one at Chong Chom. May however only be a share taxi, where you are all crammed in like sardines.

I live in Sisaket and always chose to use Chon Chom even thought it's further away because of the reasons mentioned above by Pk Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live only 23 km from Chong Sagnam, so went to talk to a border guard to book a taxi for 9am next morning. Maybe not the cheapest option. 1500 baht. If you have prebooked a hotel in Siem Reap, you should enquire with them for transport.

The roads are fine at the moment. I have been out and about a lot lately, and Chong Chom roads are all good as well.

Immigration take only a few monutes. No probs. Passport photos and cash for the visa, which will take up a whole page. I didn't have a photo first time I went, but the cambo guy took one with their camera.

If you come down to Chong Sagnam, take the time to have a look at Wat Phrai Phattana. 18 km directly north of the crossing, and about 500 metres from the main road.

Cheers.

Can I jump in here and ask if any of you guys know if you can take your Thai car into Cambodia from this crossing.

Other kind members have already written sound advice re paperwork required at Aranaypratet, just need to know if it's possible from Chon Chom.

Thanks 

31 minutes ago, yosib157 said:

Can I jump in here and ask if any of you guys know if you can take your Thai car into Cambodia from this crossing.

Other kind members have already written sound advice re paperwork required at Aranaypratet, just need to know if it's possible from Chon Chom.

Thanks 

Car can only be taken into Cambodia at the Chong Chom Crossing.

9 hours ago, yosib157 said:

Thanks 

Also wondering !

Many pages addressing the very same question (started 4 years ago but got updated for another 2 years thereafter) here:

Going through Choam Sa-Ngam would be quicker of you are driving to a border from Meuang Sisaket and you can easily get a taxi to SR at Choam Sa-Ngam border. I have always been approached - if not approached, ask the Thai immigration guys. Costs are similar at Choam Sa-Ngam and Chong Jom I think. You could check the relative timings and directions on Google Maps. I think I still have the phone number of a taxi guy who lives at the Choam Sa-Ngam border and who speaks Thai Khmer and limited English. He has been useful to me and for a couple of other parties who I recommended him to and he will stick around in SR if you want him to at rates that are at least as cheap as hiring a tuk tuk for the day in SR.

I have left my car several times for a few days at Choam Sa-Ngam. It is an official car park but there has been no overt security (though car parking guys and border guys tend to hang around it for the food available from huts there) and no barrier-ticketing system: I would have no hesitation to park there again with my older Fortuner (would have been 4 years old to 7 years old over the time period of my parkings) but probably not with an expensive new car.

In one of the earlier postings I advocated Chao Sa-Ngam partly on the basis that you could call by and see the charming Banteay Saray wat on the way into Siem Reap or on the way back - otherwise it's a time consuming tuk-tuk expense consuming 20km beyond the other more popular central wats. HOWEVER, please note that the last time I went to Siem Reap via Choam Sa-Ngam crossing 2 years ago you could not get into the Banteay Saray wat because there is strong security and you need a one day or longer pass that is not available (or was not available back then) at this wat. If that still applies it removes one of the benefits (but only one) of going through Choam Sa-Ngam.

44 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

And can go out at another border more in the south ?

As far as I recall you can take a car out of Cambodia at any international border crossing and in at most border crossings (but not in at Choam Sa-Ngam). I think you can check out current status by clicking on the Internetaional Border Crossings link of this excellent official Cambodia online guide to Cambodia:

http://www.canbypublications.com/

[It is possible that the Choam Sa-Ngam border crossing is open both ways to cars by now. Maybe worth calling Sisaket immigration in any event,]

5 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

And can go out at another border more in the south ?

Thats what I understand. I live by Chong Chom and can only give you direct info on the two crossings being talked about.

4 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

As far as I recall you can take a car out of Cambodia at any international border crossing and in at most border crossings (but not in at Choam Sa-Ngam). I think you can check out current status by clicking on the Internetaional Border Crossings link of this excellent official Cambodia online guide to Cambodia:

http://www.canbypublications.com/

[It is possible that the Choam Sa-Ngam border crossing is open both ways to cars by now. Maybe worth calling Sisaket immigration in any event,]

I have been gone for the past 3 months but 3 months back the answer was still no and the one of the main reason this crossing is the removal of land mines in the that area. Also the road to Choam Sa Ngam is not the best where as the highway from Surin to Chong Chom has been developed into a 4 lain highway,

Archived