Chong Jom Vs Chong sa Ngam border crossing

dreaming

I will be travelling from sisaket to siem reap in a few days time. I see there are 2 border crossings close by. Can anyone give the current pros and cons of either crossing. I will be driving to the border with my elderly mother and thai girlfriend and leaving the car. So these are my questions:

1. Which one is quicker in terms of travel time and clearing immigration

2. Which one would have the better parking

3. My thai girlfriend has a passport. Does she need the same visa as us (aussies) or does she get something different

4. I exchanged some baht for US$, but only $100 notes. Is that going to be a problem with change at the border

5. From what I understand we need passport photos for the visa (Including girlfriend)

6. Is it easy to find a taxi straight after passing immigration (that is, do we have to walk far)

7. There is a bit of flooding around the area at the moment. Has it affected the roads between sisaket and siem reap

Thanks

I cannot help with most of your questions.

3. She will get a  free 14 day visa exempt entry. No need for a visa on arrival unless staying longer than 14 days.

5. Yes you will need photos yourself and your mother.

2)Parking at Chong Chom easy..100bt/day

4)Cambodian immigration both locations will relieve you and your mother of $35 for a visa (official price $30) They may even refuse US$ and insist on payment in baht, perhaps requesting 1,500baht each. No visa for your girlfriend, but at Chong Chom she will be required to pay 100bt prior to entry

6) Unlikely to find a taxi at chong-sa-ngam, although should find one at Chong Chom. May however only be a share taxi, where you are all crammed in like sardines.

I live only 23 km from Chong Sagnam, so went to talk to a border guard to book a taxi for 9am next morning. Maybe not the cheapest option. 1500 baht. If you have prebooked a hotel in Siem Reap, you should enquire with them for transport.

The roads are fine at the moment. I have been out and about a lot lately, and Chong Chom roads are all good as well.

Immigration take only a few monutes. No probs. Passport photos and cash for the visa, which will take up a whole page. I didn't have a photo first time I went, but the cambo guy took one with their camera.

If you come down to Chong Sagnam, take the time to have a look at Wat Phrai Phattana. 18 km directly north of the crossing, and about 500 metres from the main road.

Cheers.

Can I jump in here and ask if any of you guys know if you can take your Thai car into Cambodia from this crossing.

Other kind members have already written sound advice re paperwork required at Aranaypratet, just need to know if it's possible from Chon Chom.

Thanks 

31 minutes ago, yosib157 said:

Can I jump in here and ask if any of you guys know if you can take your Thai car into Cambodia from this crossing.

Other kind members have already written sound advice re paperwork required at Aranaypratet, just need to know if it's possible from Chon Chom.

Thanks 

Car can only be taken into Cambodia at the Chong Chom Crossing.

9 hours ago, yosib157 said:

Thanks 

Also wondering !

Many pages addressing the very same question (started 4 years ago but got updated for another 2 years thereafter) here:

Going through Choam Sa-Ngam would be quicker of you are driving to a border from Meuang Sisaket and you can easily get a taxi to SR at Choam Sa-Ngam border. I have always been approached - if not approached, ask the Thai immigration guys. Costs are similar at Choam Sa-Ngam and Chong Jom I think. You could check the relative timings and directions on Google Maps. I think I still have the phone number of a taxi guy who lives at the Choam Sa-Ngam border and who speaks Thai Khmer and limited English. He has been useful to me and for a couple of other parties who I recommended him to and he will stick around in SR if you want him to at rates that are at least as cheap as hiring a tuk tuk for the day in SR.

I have left my car several times for a few days at Choam Sa-Ngam. It is an official car park but there has been no overt security (though car parking guys and border guys tend to hang around it for the food available from huts there) and no barrier-ticketing system: I would have no hesitation to park there again with my older Fortuner (would have been 4 years old to 7 years old over the time period of my parkings) but probably not with an expensive new car.

In one of the earlier postings I advocated Chao Sa-Ngam partly on the basis that you could call by and see the charming Banteay Saray wat on the way into Siem Reap or on the way back - otherwise it's a time consuming tuk-tuk expense consuming 20km beyond the other more popular central wats. HOWEVER, please note that the last time I went to Siem Reap via Choam Sa-Ngam crossing 2 years ago you could not get into the Banteay Saray wat because there is strong security and you need a one day or longer pass that is not available (or was not available back then) at this wat. If that still applies it removes one of the benefits (but only one) of going through Choam Sa-Ngam.

44 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

And can go out at another border more in the south ?

As far as I recall you can take a car out of Cambodia at any international border crossing and in at most border crossings (but not in at Choam Sa-Ngam). I think you can check out current status by clicking on the Internetaional Border Crossings link of this excellent official Cambodia online guide to Cambodia:

http://www.canbypublications.com/

[It is possible that the Choam Sa-Ngam border crossing is open both ways to cars by now. Maybe worth calling Sisaket immigration in any event,]

5 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

And can go out at another border more in the south ?

Thats what I understand. I live by Chong Chom and can only give you direct info on the two crossings being talked about.

4 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

As far as I recall you can take a car out of Cambodia at any international border crossing and in at most border crossings (but not in at Choam Sa-Ngam). I think you can check out current status by clicking on the Internetaional Border Crossings link of this excellent official Cambodia online guide to Cambodia:

[It is possible that the Choam Sa-Ngam border crossing is open both ways to cars by now. Maybe worth calling Sisaket immigration in any event,]

I have been gone for the past 3 months but 3 months back the answer was still no and the one of the main reason this crossing is the removal of land mines in the that area. Also the road to Choam Sa Ngam is not the best where as the highway from Surin to Chong Chom has been developed into a 4 lain highway,

Maybe not 4 lane Kwaibah, but all the times I've been on it the journey was fast with very little oncoming traffic to hold you up from overtaking whatever stuff you followed (except for the last 30km between Banteay Saray and SR city).

12 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Only 3 borders allow car crossing on the way to Cambodia. But from Cambodia Thai cars can come back anywhere.

It s a great view but until till the Thai side straightens out the road over the mountain it will not be used for commercial traffic  and that multimillion baht custom house that was built 5 years back and not used will still be collecting cobwebs and spiders. Along with the clearing of land mines in the in the vicinity, no secured parking and no reliable transportation system private cars will not be allowed to cross over. Yes a Thai registered car with its import papers into Cambodia may be allowed to cross back over.

• 9 months later...

I just wanted to report i crossed at chong sa ngam for an in out. I have a one year non o multiple entry and was in the areas so thought i would try it. I could have sworn i went there years ago and it was different, honestly such a fog. 

But, Thai side was awesome, great parking with security. Doesn't hurt that my wife speaks with them im sure. 

Cambodia side was a mixed bag. Nice guy helped me out. Cool part was the stamping is right across the border, i didnt have to walk anywhere like i used to in poipet. Stamped in, forgot two photos, i think i got charged 200 baht for that because i paid 1200. 

I thought i was done paying thinking that wasnt so bad, the next grumpy guy asks if i want in out i say yes and he says thatll be 300 baht. Ok, i figured i would be part of the problem and paid him his 300 baht. 

All in all it was actually a very pleasant experience. I know people dont like overpaying at borders so that was a bummer, but for me the success of it all mattered more. Nobody was there either so that was cool, and man i mean nobody. 

7 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I just wanted to report i crossed at chong sa ngam for an in out. I have a one year non o multiple entry and was in the areas so thought i would try it. I could have sworn i went there years ago and it was different, honestly such a fog. 

But, Thai side was awesome, great parking with security. Doesn't hurt that my wife speaks with them im sure. 

Cambodia side was a mixed bag. Nice guy helped me out. Cool part was the stamping is right across the border, i didnt have to walk anywhere like i used to in poipet. Stamped in, forgot two photos, i think i got charged 200 baht for that because i paid 1200. 

I thought i was done paying thinking that wasnt so bad, the next grumpy guy asks if i want in out i say yes and he says thatll be 300 baht. Ok, i figured i would be part of the problem and paid him his 300 baht. 

All in all it was actually a very pleasant experience. I know people dont like overpaying at borders so that was a bummer, but for me the success of it all mattered more. Nobody was there either so that was cool, and man i mean nobody. 

Good information - thanks

A friend did Chong sa nam a week ago after doing Chong Chom many years. He told me that it’s more a rip-off at CC so won’t be going back. I believe he did t have to pay the 300b unofficial day-rate there either that CC has been doing for years & years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

A friend did Chong sa nam a week ago after doing Chong Chom many years. He told me that it’s more a rip-off at CC so won’t be going back. I believe he did t have to pay the 300b unofficial day-rate there either that CC has been doing for years & years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have not dobe chong chom but all other things equal as some of you know i thought the scenery was quite spectacular going chong sa ngam. We saw a huge black bird with sort of reddish wings and long tail, it was one of the most gorgeous birds i have seen in my life. still gotta figure what it was who knows maybe it is a common bird diwn there. 

11 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

i have not dobe chong chom but all other things equal as some of you know i thought the scenery was quite spectacular going chong sa ngam. We saw a huge black bird with sort of reddish wings and long tail, it was one of the most gorgeous birds i have seen in my life. still gotta figure what it was who knows maybe it is a common bird diwn there. 

Rooster. 555.

16 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Description fits the Greater Coucal. However, it may have been something else, as I wouldn't myself describe it as gorgeous (compared to may of the tropical smaller birds, parrots etc for example). Also, it's a common resident across Isaan and Thailand, so I'd be surprised if you haven't seen it before, if you are yourself a resident or regular visitor.

An impressive bird in flight nonetheless.

Yes, most likely the red eyed Greater Coucal. I live very near Chong Sangnam, and there are many about.

They have a distinctive call. I thought it was Gibbons calling, but wife said nok. Just did a search, and there you have it. Mostly you would see them rising at the side of rhe road as you drive past.

18 hours ago, Goanna said:

Yes, most likely the red eyed Greater Coucal. I live very near Chong Sangnam, and there are many about.

They have a distinctive call. I thought it was Gibbons calling, but wife said nok. Just did a search, and there you have it. Mostly you would see them rising at the side of rhe road as you drive past.

Great stuff! I tried to figure it out yesterday but could not. That is definitely it. Yes, maybe i am too impressed by birds. I don't see many in the states so when i see something more exotic i suppose i am overly flabergasted. 

Crazy part was, after that trip we parked at a construction shop. My wife was inside and a sunbird landing right in front of me on this little nest thing that was hanging from the fence. I was probably five feet away lookimg through the windshield. Most gorgeous bird i have ever seen lol. I waited for it to come back with the camera but it never did. Do you guys know the species? It had a yellow throat. At this point we were about an hour north of Chang sa ngam near phusing. 

I'm with you on the sunbirds - lovely little creatures. I have a pair of purple sunbirds nesting less than a foot from our lounge window and right in the middle of a huge picture window. The male has a habit of hovering for several minutes looking in and tapping on the window - think he wants to watch the TV with me!

The one you talk about is probably the olive backed sunbird - olive green across the back and a very broad yellow breast; both these sunbirds are common though you might not get a purple sunbird in Choam Sa Ngam - my Thai Bird book* shows that it's distribution makes it common in the 'Emerald Triangle' (junction of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia) and it stretches a little way westwards along the Cambodian border into South East Sisaket but not as far as Phusing/Choam Sa Ngam in South West Sisaket.

I have several favourite birds in Sisaket - I particularly like the Hoopoe which you see quite frequently if you go offroad in the fields around Khun Han and Khu Khan.

If tropical birds charm you and you are American I can highly recommend holidaying on the island of Tobago in the Caribbean/West Indies. Astonishing range of colourful birds all around you - my hotel balcony was like having an aviary at the back door!

*"A guide to the Birds of Thailand" by Boonsong Lekagul and Philip D Round". Recognised as an excellent look-up book by birders in Thailand (I'm not one but I go through phases of going out to look with my binocs and camera), but I'm not sure how available it is now. Mine cost 900 baht in an Asia Books branch in Bangkok in 2010

Awesome post. Thanks. 

There is one more i saw commonly near Khu Khan and could not get a handle on. It sat in mango trees and would flip its tail feathers up into a fan like shape. It seemed to be scaring bugs up so it could eat them but i am not sure. It was black and white but the "black" was more like a really dark grey not pure black. And a pretty small little guy. Sorry i can't describe it better, but i did see this guy about ten times. 

Archived