How much hassle is to redraw land boundaries?

I'd like to buy land at some point for my wife and I, but only a relatively small plot. Many of the areas I like have land for sale, but they're on plots that are 1, 2, 3 rai or even larger. I would only need roughly 250 square meters, so I'm wondering how likely it would be that a land owner would agree to sell only a small portion of their land. Obviously this would be up to the land owner, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to get the land bureau to come out and redraw the boundaries and what the costs could be. Is it simple enough that a land owner would consider doing this? In a case such as this should I offer to pay any costs associated with redrawing the property boundaries?

The Land Office will execute that. They do a survey and execute the subdivision. This can take a while (up to several months). It depends on the local situation. The costs also differs.

There is also quite some paperwork. You can hire a lawyer who will talk with the Land Office and prepare the papers.

ones you have your split-off land and have build a house on it ,

the big landowner sells the rest of the land to a Thai,

the Thai starts a pig farm (or garage...paint spray shop ......)

And you are not going to be happy.........

Advice1; buy land were the neighbors  are already settled , you can inspect it and then decide what you do.

Advise 2: dont buy land from your wife's family , you can be tempted because it is cheap (even free) ...dont do it .

As Juehoe says, the land office will do it. GFs old man had a chanote for one piece of land that over the years has split into two. One half had his house and the other was given to the oldest sister to build her house. When her old man gave GF the chanote she got the land office out who drew up 2 separate chanotes (one in her name one in sister's) and it took a couple of weeks. I think it was only a couple of thousand Baht but can't be sure.

As lucjoker says, it is all about location.

The process is simple. You and the owner agree on the sale and draw up a simple sales agreement. This agreement plus the buyer and seller go to the land office. At the land office you will have to pay a fee and get into line for the survey. The land office will phone you to inform you of the date of the survey. If this land has a common boundary with other land owners they must also be there on the date of the survey. If one land owner doesnt show up the new survey details will be displayed at the land office for a month. If this land owner has no objections a new chanote will be issued after a month. The process is not complacated  but it is time consuming. I would also recommend that you buy a full piece of land rather than to subsivide. But in the same breath I would recommend you to confirm the property's boundries which would be the same process as the above. After you buy the land get long cement poles and cement them into the ground next to the official boundary poles. If you arent building immediately fence the property in. Never buy a property with people staying on it. Never buy from family or friends. Make 100% certain you access to a public road. Dont fall for the one, we have been going over this guys land for many years. Goodluck

Please check what actual electrical supply is currently available for the plot of land. You can go with a copy of the land papers of the potential plot of land in person to the PEA.  Same exact process with the PWA to see if you can easily obtain a water meter. I will also suggest you buy at least one rai to give your home some space from neighbors. 

On 7/31/2017 at 1:18 AM, lucjoker said:

ones you have your split-off land and have build a house on it ,

the big landowner sells the rest of the land to a Thai,

the Thai starts a pig farm (or garage...paint spray shop ......)

And you are not going to be happy.........

Advice1; buy land were the neighbors  are already settled , you can inspect it and then decide what you do.

Advise 2: dont buy land from your wife's family , you can be tempted because it is cheap (even free) ...dont do it .

Totally agree. Buy land away from the family and enough so you can build high walls away from the neighbours ! There is no restrictions from industrial to residential . Or better still don't buy the land but buy some in your own country which is often cheaper these days !

Totally agree. Buy land away from the family and enough so you can build high walls away from the neighbours ! There is no restrictions from industrial to residential . Or better still don't buy the land but buy some in your own country which is often cheaper these days !

I don't recommend to build a high perimeter wall. First it can block the wind and looks horrible, second a high wall is good for buglers. So they can work unseen after climbing over the wall.

Our residence has only 1.6 m heigh walls and newer an incident with burglars.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:25 AM, juehoe said:

I don't recommend to build a high perimeter wall. First it can block the wind and looks horrible, second a high wall is good for buglers. So they can work unseen after climbing over the wall.

Our residence has only 1.6 m heigh walls and newer an incident with burglars.

The neighbours are fine until they build a factory right next door ! It happened to me but somehow I managed to sell

up ! Was a very lucky time for me . 

Archived