Stop building now - luxury Phuket villa named and shamed on social media ordered halted

webfact

Stop building now - luxury Phuket villa named and shamed on social media ordered halted

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manger

PHUKET: -- Building at the luxury villa in Phuket that we featured yesterday that was ruining the view at Krathing cape has been halted.

Following pictures that were posted on social media the local Rawai mayor went with his minions and soldiers to investigate.

And they found a host or irregularities.

But if people wanted the structure pulled down they will be disappointed.

There is permission to build but the owner, from Bangkok, has exceeded height limitations and certain other aspects of the development.

Mayor Arun Sofat scurried into action as social media started getting on his back. He checked his GPS and found that the building was too high and there was a car park not in the plans.

Apparently regulations state that a building only 20 meters from the sea can only have a height of six meters. They have to be 50 meters back before the height can be 12 meters, reported Manager.

So building work has been suspended. Anan Janthamas - the representative of the owner - said all the matters would be complied with.

He said the owner was a Bangkok man and the property was on his land. It will comprise four buildings with two bedrooms each and include two swimming pools. It is being built at a cost of 20 million baht, excluding decorations.

It is due for completion in April next year.

Anan said it was news to him that you had to have permission for a car park but so be it, that will be sorted too.

Many people had complained on social media that the building blights views of the sunset in the area. Drone footage of the development has also emerged online.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-01

Looking at the opposite side of the road, one could just sit back and hope for a landslide of a huge scale, because as many have posted, the problem will go away as some top brass will tell the local Rawai mayor that the envelope was bigger than his position would ever have to stop the build, and if he wants that promotion and cut his been getting since day one, he will have to turn the other way. 

The Baan Krating guy that already had a resort illegally built while Thaksin was in? No, no, this guy has huge pull and extra deep pockets. Envelope for you, oh, you too, of course you, done deal. I guess the news gets the mayor and extra thick envelope  to throw it back to Sea Gypsy harrassment :happy:

I have seen the title map of this area from my attorney years ago. Its government forest land. But envelopes can magically produce a chanote land title deed. If social media pressure continues this should come to light.

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

long live social media - the gate for democracy to come in opened.

Yes I agree. There has been a lot of things built in Rawai that a blind eye has been turned too.

I do like like the part about the mayor scurrying around.

Caught like the a rabbit in the headlights. If you know what I mean 

5 hours ago, trogers said:

All matters to be complied with?

Those columns seen in the photos are less than a metre from the edge of a public road when they should be at least 3 metres away...

Perhaps the local authorities will co-operate  and move the road.   "In the intersts  of improved safety for road users , of course!"   Surel;y that would be the very leas tthe l;ocals coud do for a HiSo from Bangers.

12 minutes ago, monspencer said:

So catman20 says he would settle for it...right...until a bus load of Chinese tourists misjudges the bend and ends up in his swimming pool :whistling:

As previously posted this road leads nowhere and not much chance of any coaches.

The headdline:  Named and shamed!!!!  What name?  What guaranteed shame?  The only name wax the local agent or perhaps builder.  O.P. not very clear on that.  Shame?  I greatly doubt it.  See if it is still against compliance in a year, and if not so, which changed,  the structure or the local bylaws.

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

a deckchair and a VB, i rekon i could handle watching the sun go down from there

Your right, it's a kick ass location and view. One could argue if it's completed the best in NH Rawai area!

Really nice piece of land at a scenic viewpoint.  I've seen similar restaurants with great views like this along Malibu highway 1 but this ones really cutting it close to the street so imo shouldn't have been granted a license.

I'm guessing the local authorities approved of it both formally and informally but didn't think it would be a problem.

So the soap opera of givin them a slap on the back of the hand begins until the social media ruckus dies down.

Thai internet netizens love to play out injustices but unfortunately tend to have short attention spans and the authorities involved will play on that by dragging their feet in charade penalties.

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

stupid location......no way to the sea......50 cm away from a road..........

Typically Thai.  They built the same way next to me.  Use 95% of the land for building, and ignore all building codes.  Then try getting it remedied.  

Archived