The end of Walking Street as we know it? Bars ordered to rip down signs

Jonathan Fairfield

14 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Know a little about the place, built a home 12 yrs ago, married to a Thai have kids, thai friends and family and they have the same opinion of Pattaya and say farangs like it but thais don't. 

This kind of reminds me of the old race track near my home. It had been there for year. It was there before I was born. More that 60 years. The people moved in around it, because the land was cheap. The land was cheap because of all the noise from the cars on the track. Then these new owners near the track complained about the noise to the city counsel, and now that they residences of the city, the city shutdown the track. Eventually the housing prices dropped even lower as the main attraction was gone and so was the businesses.

Walking street was there long before you built your house or had your kids. If you don't like it don't go there.......

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family resort on his  way..:smile:......can not..shall never...wel it seems they are persistent what ever the oppostion to it think...remember this are the guy's who gave themself power and amnesty  for taken it...so...:sick:

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Is an eyesore and only advertising prostitution.  It's  a step towards cleaning up Thailands seedy international reputation.  Still a long way to go before they can replace sex tourism with quality tourism.

so what??? it is what it is!!! it's only Pattaya and parts of Bangkok and Phuket (and Koh Tao, of course) that

have a "seedy" reputation (although the powers that be seem to be hellbent on soiking the rest of their reputation daily)... prostitution is the world's oldest profession, and was very lucrative for me in USA ,

even up until my early 50's...the neon signs are actually the ONLY thing i LIKED about Pattaya!!!

and WHAT exactly is "quality tourism"?!?!?!? who decides??? is it according to morals or class or money-

or race?!?!?!?!? what is the criteria? i've seen several sex tourists who were actually quite upper class,

and non-sex tourists who oozed sleaze with every step...

once again, what is the criteria, and who decides???

calm down folks, it says in thai papers that the problem is that firetrucks can't raise their ladder and fight fire effectively with all those signs around, not that they can't drive down the street. If a fire does occur, the public will blame them for allowing signs, hence they want to signs taken down or be flat on buildings instead.

2 minutes ago, mike324 said:

calm down folks, it says in thai papers that the problem is that firetrucks can't raise their ladder and fight fire effectively with all those signs around, not that they can't drive down the street. If a fire does occur, the public will blame them for allowing signs, hence they want to signs taken down or be flat on buildings instead.

Have BKK not got areas like this    ????    if so do a national flattening of all streets including electric wires hindering ladders  

Just now, ginjag said:

Have BKK not got areas like this    ????    if so do a national flattening of all streets including electric wires hindering ladders  

it sure does,  but i think you still need to take a chill pill

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Before cleaning up the streets, how about cleaning up the beach and the sea water in the area?

Sorry,  but that doesn't  have the same kind of moral righteousness  and indignation that many on TVF like   to  attempt to imply.

There I was, thought I was gunna die!

whilst attempting to negotiate my way around a new and dangerously large hole in the pavement... wham... head butted a sign that was right at "that" height ( you know... forehead height)... fell on my butt... everyone laughing 

if the signs are a hazard... they should go! (higher up, obviously) :cheesy:

A lot of noise for nothing. Just look at the original article on Bangkok Post and you will see that only a few signs misplaced or too low may be concerned. This TV "article" is written as if all signs had to be removed, and it's obviously false news.

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Exactly. Just look at the original article on Bangkok Post and you will see that only a few signs misplaced or too low may be concerned. This TV "article" is written as if all signs had to be remove and it's obviously false news.

Within context,  I wonder if that could possibly address the issues a few years ago in Bangkok where the fire department stood by  at a high rise fire because they didn't have owner permission to enter the building.     sad.gif

I forget how many people died in that fire.

There is a very easy solution.  Take a big bomb and blow up the city and rebuild it.:stoner:

Since that is not a possibility then the next best thing is to have a REAL NGO do a study and then set up the proper filtration plants to get the sh!t out of the water.

Set up garbage cans on the beaches that are emptied nightly.

Set up a beach force that fines anyone they see littering.  a thousand a pop is not a bad price to start.

Clean up walking street.  It can still be walking street if you get the big neon signs down. 

It will save the businesses money and look better.

Hell you can even do like Vegas and set up a place that tourists can go to see the old signs

"WHAT exactly is "quality tourism"?!?!?!? who decides??? is it according to morals or class or money-

or race?!?!?!?!? what is the criteria? i've seen several sex tourists who were actually quite upper class,

once again, what is the criteria, and who decides???"

This an easy definition.  A quality tourist is one that flies into the airport, drops off their wallet and all their cash and then turns around and flies back out!

5555 Don't get mad, it is just my opinion!:smile:

5 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

There is a very easy solution.  Take a big bomb and blow up the city and rebuild it.:stoner:

Since that is not a possibility then the next best thing is to have a REAL NGO do a study and then set up the proper filtration plants to get the sh!t out of the water.

Set up garbage cans on the beaches that are emptied nightly.

Set up a beach force that fines anyone they see littering.  a thousand a pop is not a bad price to start.

Clean up walking street.  It can still be walking street if you get the big neon signs down. 

It will save the businesses money and look better.

Hell you can even do like Vegas and set up a place that tourists can go to see the old signs

Lot of set-up going on there Dude .. 

13 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

"WHAT exactly is "quality tourism"?!?!?!? who decides??? is it according to morals or class or money-

once again, what is the criteria, and who decides???"

This an easy definition.  A quality tourist is one that flies into the airport, drops off their wallet and all their cash and then turns around and flies back out!

5555 Don't get mad, it is just my opinion!:smile:

For quality read Chinese .. or Russian .. and thats official .. ( say's T A  T ) 

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

This is a excellent idea...I would like to see Disney characters like

Micky Mouse and Goofy passing out ice cream to all quality tourist children on Walking Street....Walking street can be a real family destistination..

I thought Mickey and Goofy were there already  - wearing black uniforms! :whistling:

Archived