Bangkok Administration appeals for public to adopt stray dogs from shelters

webfact

BMA appeals for public to adopt stray dogs from shelters

By The Nation

337a291c61db6c9f35549b7366e1f0a3-atwb.jpg

Puppies wait for adoption at Prawet shelter of the BMA.

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is urging the public to visit its two shelters for street dogs and consider adopting them as the city has to pay about Bt15 million every year to feed them.

The plea was made by Thaweesak Lertpraphan, deputy BMA governor, who said the BMA is caring for 5,500 dogs at its shelter in Uthai Thani and 800 more at its Prawet shelter.

Thaweesak said so far only 70 to 100 dogs have been adopted from the shelters. He added that they have been tamed and taught basic tricks so they could be adopted by families.

He said food for the dogs costs about Bt8 per dog a day for a total of about Bt15 million a year.

He said there are an estimated 100,000 street dogs in the capital and the BMA has received about 4,000 complaints from 2005 until now.

Once a complaint is made, BMA officials capture the dogs and take them to the Prawet shelter for temporary quarantine before they were moved to the Uthai Thani shelter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322529

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-02

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

the city has to pay about Bt15 million every year to feed them.

Well stop feeding them..if they haven't been claimed by old owner or new owner after 2 months then give an injection to put them to sleep

no need to add more to the 100,000 roaming around the Capital city causing accidents ,nuisance and spreading disease  rabies !!!!

Euthanasia is the only soulution to get rid of the millions of free roaming dogs and clear up this unholy mess of mangy, rabbies carying beasts.

This problem is a blight on the good landscape of Thailand.

A dog here and there, wont worry anybody if they are looked after, but these big packs etc of ownerless dogs, should meet an expidited sniff of gas, then zoom off to the next life.

3 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

good choice as a dog is not just for christmas, its for life

I told my wife that I wanted to adopt a baby. That was followed up by a whack on the side of the head. I was rudely told that a 21 year old girl, is not a baby. 555.

8 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

I told my wife that I wanted to adopt a baby. That was followed up by a whack on the side of the head. I was rudely told that a 21 year old girl, is not a baby. 555.

In my experience I would say you got off lightly, back to the drawing board for plan B

• 4 months later...

Well it looks to me as though the vast majority of posters here are in the same mind as me, put the mangy, dangerous, disease ridden, pesky mutts down or failing that neutre the bloody lot from North to South, no exceptions.

Yes, I am well aware that this is a Buddhist country but surely even they can see that this is a major problem.  

I pity these dogs. I have two and they are like children to me. If Thais, who act well at being good, actually cared about these little animals they would take better care of them. However, I look at the way they raise their children and I am sad to say that the dogs are better off on the sois.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:13 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

I understand that the Phillipines also love their dogs and eat the ones they don't.

Maybe shipping off a few thousand there may be a start as well.

Just a thought.

Geezer

Cheaper to ship them to Issan or Laos where dog is on the menu.

These stray soi dogs are basically a public health issue/danger and is long overdue having a solution applied to it. The amount of people injured from being attacked (especially children) and from motorbike accidents should be enough to get the authorities off their backsides and do something about it.

Archived