Video: Drunk Thai man escapes death after mauling from bear at Phetchabun temple sanctuary

webfact

Video: Drunk Thai man escapes death after mauling from bear at Phetchabun temple sanctuary

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

PHETCHABUN: -- A drunk Thai man who entered an enclosure at a Phetchabun temple to get a wild boar was mauled and dragged off by a bear.

Despite the screams of locals no one dared help him as he was mauled for more than 15 minutes.

He is believed to be recovering from the attack in the local hospital.

Tnews had a short video of Fon Phromlat, 38, being dragged off by "Jao Kaew" an eight year old bear. They also published horrific pictures of the man's puncture wounds and him being loaded in a pick-up and taken to hospital.

Daily News carried a full report with more pictures of the incident.

It happened at an enclosure run by a monk called locally "Luang Poo Lamai Herb Garden". The large one rai enclosure is used to house more than 100 wild boar.

It is also home to the giant, female bear that has been raised since a cub at the facility.

The temple had advertised that wild boars were available free. They wanted the species to grow so were offering the locals the chance to take one home for nothing.

Fon entered the cage because he wanted to get a boar. He offered grass to the bear and patted it on the head.

He was then attacked and dragged off suffering multiple puncture wounds.

Police arrived and found a lot of blood - Fon had already been rescued by the bear's trainer using a pole and taken to hospital.

Monk Thanet Tikhayano said that the bear had never attacked anyone before.

He said that Fon was drunk and that when the bear got a whiff of the alcohol she didn't like it and attacked him.

He said that the bear had been given to Luang Poo Lamai an old respected monk who the place is named after.

When Lamai died he entrusted the care of his beloved bear to "Aunty Aew" who fed her and bathed her every day.

Aunty Aew and Monk Thanet used a pole to get the bear away from the victim who had been "hugged" for more than 15 minutes as local screamed but did nothing to help for fear of their own lives, reported Daily News.

Sources: Daily News, TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-03

WARNING! Graphic content

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is so much wrong in this story it is impossible to know where to begin. From all sorts of illegal behaviour, justification of that with lame excuses and outright lies, pathetic decision-making, failure to plan, cowardice, lack of law enforcement and lots more. I would be listing them all for hours.

I won't comment on the:

"Fon entered the cage because he wanted to get a boar. He offered grass to the bear and patted it on the head."

because otherwise 8 hours from now it will be corrected and then for the next 3 days there'd be nothing but stupid comments about how I should READ the original article and stop spreading "misinformation" from all the people who think they are so superior to everyone else.

However, I suspect that if a drunk man was trying to "pat" a bear "on the head" (like it should say in the original post) it is likely the bear thought he was trying to do something else. It could have also thought he was an intruder and was just being protective of it's home. 

If the bear was really angry, after 15 minutes there wouldn't have been enough left of the guy to even bother trying to get to a hospital. It seems the bear has been raised around humans since it was a cub and I doubt that the smell of alcohol would, by itself, cause the bear to attack.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The temple had advertised that wild boars were available free. They wanted the species to grow so were offering the locals the chance to take one home for nothing.

I take it he politely declined the generous offer of the free bear ? :cheesy:

The conditions that the bear are kept in are a disgrace, and 100 boar per 1 rai !

no wonder they were giving them away,keeping wild animals at Temples is     just

a money making scheme,nothing to do with treating the animals with care.

regards worgeordie

I hate to admit it, but I was more enraged by the disgusting conditions that the bear and presumably the boars, that they were offering free,  have to live in. I hope the bear makes a full recovery.

The "large" one rai enclosure apparently, is home to 100 boars and the aggressive bear. That ain't much room for boar and bear to coexist.

"They wanted the species to grow so were offering the locals the chance to take one home for nothing."

I can guess where the hogs would likely end up.................................piggy.jpg.ac3859654e7136f5f3a14229d5fe5194.jpg

2 hours ago, tonray said:

He was mauled by a bear trying to steal a boar ?

they do get board drinking all day.

the bear thought it was HUG A THAI WEEK.

as for the drunk thai,will someone tell him the difference between a bear and a boar.

This bear was 8 years old and was found to be kept illegally at the temple in 2012, however authorities decided it could stay at the temple as they "had no alternative place" to care for her. The bear did not just bit the visitor but also started eating his flesh on his back after it pulled the man into the inside cage. Wondering what will happen now tot he bear as authorities finally took it away. Of course the monk denies any responsibility nor do the authorities accept any.

Just look at the dreadful environment and the horrific conditions that bear is kept in. I would hate to see the ways other animals are imprisoned there. It`s no wonder these animals go crazy.

Why are these places allowed to exist and not closed down?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

an enclosure run by a monk called locally "Luang Poo Lamai Herb Garden". The large one rai enclosure is used to house more than 100 wild boar.

I'm sure the monk has a license from the local authorities to operate for what is called a "sanctuary". Maybe the bear is more a refill station of bile sold to be used in TCM...

Archived