Lifeguards close ‘danger surf’ sections at Phuket beaches, tourist rescued

webfact

Lifeguards close ‘danger surf’ sections at Phuket beaches, tourist rescued

Eakkapop Thongtub

1501731896_1-org.jpg

Sections of tourist beaches along Phuket's west coast, including Patong, have been closed to prevent swimmers from entering dangerous surf. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: -- Lifeguards have closed sections at popular beaches along Phuket’s west coast to prevent tourists and other swimmers from endangering themselves in dangerous surf.

“Right now, we have roped off sections at the southern side of Nai Thon Beach, as well as dangerous sections at Surin, Karon and Patong beaches,” Phuket Lifeguards Service President Prathaiyut Chuayuan told The Phuket News today (Aug 3).

“The roped-off sections indicate areas where there are very dangerous rip currents,” he explained.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/lifeguards-close-danger-surf-sections-at-phuket-beaches-tourist-rescued-63304.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-03

14 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Without guards in attendance there will surely be some fool who will go in, and pay the price. The rip on Karon is a killer !

I agree.  I am a great swimmer, grew up in the Ocean state, have done mile swims, etc.  I was in Karon in October and action was pretty strong.  It was hard to stand.  Got knocked over a lot.  I didn't fight it, or resist it.  I was having fun.  But if one panicked, went out a little deeper and tried to swim against the tide as it were, things could get dicey.

Archived