New Bangkok "landmark" set to wow tourists - whatever you call it!

webfact

New Bangkok "landmark" set to wow tourists - whatever you call it!

8.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Daily News trumpeted the arrival of what they called Bangkok's newest landmark - but the news media were still a bit unfamiliar with the name.

What is likely to be known as a "Sky Walk and Sky Plaza" was referred to as a Sky Wall in their headline then something that might be pronounced Sky Wart in their story.

They also referred to a lift for the handicapped as a "Stair Life".

But we at Thaivisa think we know what they mean.

At a cost of 300 million baht the project is an overhead walkway at the busy Pathum Wan intersection in downtown Bangkok.

Building started at the beginning of last year and it is now going to be handed over to the Bangkok authority in a ceremony tomorrow.

Following the language confusion it is expected to be called the "Sky Walk and Sky Plaza" and joins up many of the well known stores and attractions in the area with the BTS.

Daily News reported that 85,000 people use the department stores daily and the walkway is expected to raise that to 100,000.

A total of 500,000 people are expected to use it in total per day.

One of its unique features is a stair lift at the Siam Kila BTS station for people in wheelchairs. This has been jointly funded by the owners of MBK.

81.jpg

Picture: Daily News

It is hoped to be an added convenience for the handicapped or aged and actually be a stair lift as mentioned in Thai and not a Stair Life as reported in brackets in English.

Daily News said that the skywalk would be a new feature of central Bangkok life and would be a landmark for the city attracting Thais and tourists alike.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-03

I used it at the weekend. It's handy as it means you can avoid travelling down to the street, around the street vendors and farious hazards, and you don't have to use the haphazard concrete obstical course that constitutes a road crossing. But I don't think you could really call it a landmark. Maybe in the sense of "meet you at the skywalk", but not in the sense of "I can't wait to visit the large concrete walkway i've heard it's so beautiful".

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I used it at the weekend. It's handy as it means you can avoid travelling down to the street, around the street vendors and farious hazards, and you don't have to use the haphazard concrete obstical course that constitutes a road crossing. But I don't think you could really call it a landmark. Maybe in the sense of "meet you at the skywalk", but not in the sense of "I can't wait to visit the large concrete walkway i've heard it's so beautiful".

So... no "wow" factor then?

A walkway that connects a few shopping malls is hardly a landmark.

I have a feeling "Sky Wart" might be more appropriate.

As for the "Stair Life", by the looks of it anyone using it will be taking their life in their own hands, so maybe these were not bad translations after all! 

:giggle:

22 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You couldn't have used it as it is blocked off currently. I walk past it everyday.

Archived