OK to ride motorbike from Mandalay to Naypyidaw?

simon43

Although I assume it's OK (I shouldn't really assume anything in Myanmar), does anyone know if there are 'issues' to ride a motorbike on the main road (motorway) from Mandalay to Naypyidaw (I live in NPD)?

On Saturday, I plan to take the bus up to Mandalay, buy an off-road motorbike from Zach (Mandalay Motorbikes), and then drive back to NPD, where I'll use the bike for weekend trips etc.

I have my Foreigner's Registration Certificate etc, in case of problems at check points.

Update: :shock1:

I note this comment from the Highway Police in MM Times:

Right now, if a motorcyclist is killed by a car in a highway accident, the driver of the car holds no responsibility, he said. Highway law cannot be practised, he said, because the road is not perfectly finished.

As far as i know, motorbikes are not allowed on highway. I am not riding bikes in Myanmar so I am not 100% sure of that.

What I am sure is when I was based in Mandalay for 3 years (I am based in Yangon since 1 year), i was doing often Mandalay- Nay Py Taw by car through the highway and saw motorbikes stopped by the police. When I asked my driver what was the problem, he told me that the motorbikes was not allowed on the highway.

Indeed, i never saw much motorbikes on the highway. This was mostly between the first toll gate from Mandalay and the toll gate at Mandalay airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ask Zach as he knows 100%

And the answer is ... no!

When I cam up from NPD on the bus, I saw many signs forbidding motorbikes on the motorway.  Zach confirmed that they were not allowed from the Mandalay tollway (near the airport), and that if you want to use the motorway, then you have to drive around that tollbooth and the Mekila tollbooth etc, without being spotted by the police.

The alternative (which is what I did), is to take the old Yangon highway.  It was a longer journey, but I arrived safely in NPD.  

I got one of his Honda XR125's.  Sound, reliable bike.  (When I lived in the UK, I rode bikes from an early age, bought my first car when I was 28 years old. My last back was a Honda Goldwing GL1000).

I'm going to use this bike at the weekends and holidays to visit the 'sights', as well to get to some remote schools/orphanages.  I have a long weekend in a few weeks from now, so plan to ride up to Loikaw region.

BTW - Mandalay was full of western tourists, not the same as Naypyidaw!

Archived