Aussie falls down the stairs to his death in Hua Hin

snoop1130

16 hours ago, trogers said:

A reason why I stay in a condo in my retirement.

Here here, I agree..the manager here at my condo calls me or comes to my door if she doesn't see me come or go..as does her assistant.. probably not happening everywhere that's why I like it here..

8 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Here here, I agree..the manager here at my condo calls me or comes to my door if she doesn't see me come or go..as does her assistant.. probably not happening everywhere that's why I like it here..

Just add some adhesive ducks to the base of the bathtub or floor of the shower to prevent slip and fall incidents.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

My immediate reaction is ....   did he fall or was he pushed    ????

his cleaner seems to know all his details possibly including his ATM pin and mobile phone.

Really? Did you know him and his cleaner personally and also know every intimate details of their relationship?

If you didn't then you are speculating as you always do and getting it wrong again as you always do.

If you have all the facts then by all means respond and tell the world.

If you don't then why are you bothering to post in the first place.

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you don't then why are you bothering to post in the first place.

My thoughts exactly. But then, some posters take any chance to bash a Thai, even if they have to make crap up to do so

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

One thing I swore I'd never do as I got older, live in a 2 storey house, or anything with stairs. Some of those stairs in townhouses are more like ladders without any grab rails.

A clever Thai lady will look for townhouse with the ladders that you mentioned above, they know it's the perfect design for her purpose. Next step is to persuade her darling to buy insurance. Last and final step is to stock up on alcohol in the fridge.

Things will take care of itself.

She said, "sitting down quietly doing nothing I achieve everything".

Before you know it, the TV forum has another case. 

For those like steven100 who cannot believe that older people can fall.

I am 73, live in a 2 story house and 3 times in the last 2 years I have caught my heel on the stairs and fallen 2 or 3 steps. The last time I bounced on my ass down the last 3 steps and now they creak a little when anyone uses them.

The first 2 times I was on my own and the 3rd time my THAI wife was lying on the sofa and couldn't see me to begin with to give me any help.

I have an 81 year old mate, living in a bungalow, who has a balance problem and sometimes falls over and needs help in getting up. He has a THAI wife also.

It has been suggested  that just prior to his death Mr Lawrie was on the verge of completing a huge land deal that would have netted him a few million Baht in commission.

This fact apparently came to the notice of a few undesirable members of Hau Hin society who set about plotting to relieve Mr Lawrie of this windfall.

Rumour control has it that the killer(s) laid in wait for the victim and when he returned home threatened that if he didn't give them the land documents it would not bode well for him.

Mt Lawrie being a shrewd cookie kept the documents hidden in an upstairs room, he went up to retrieve them but forgot where he had hidden them, as he descended the stairs his cat (a stray that he rescued a few months back) crossed his path on the stairs causing him to fall and bang his bonce on the tiled floor causing his demise.

The nair do wells scarpered with out the documents.

No, I have no idea what happened either but I can make up as good a story as some you part time Sherlocks, so unless you know or have reliable info as to the truth, forget it.  :whistling:

Get up in the middle of the night for a drink or something, don't bother to switch on the light cos had a few drinks earlier so cant be bothered.  Miss a step.. Concrete landing. Case closed!

Or??

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

One thing I swore I'd never do as I got older, live in a 2 storey house, or anything with stairs. Some of those stairs in townhouses are more like ladders without any grab rails.

me too.  Here in the USA my retirement home on my shopping list is going to be very easy to get around in. Wide hallways easy for a walker or wheel chair.  One floor.   No stairs, no sunken living room. .Good grab rails in the shower, which itself will be an open type of shower as many I have seen in Thailand are.  Can wheel in a chair.  My Dad could not walk up two steps, and could not step over a bathtub to get in the shower.  No throw rugs that can slip or be tripped on.  Safety first in every feature I can think of.  Lots of good ideas out there on sites for people with disabilities

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

No, I have no idea what happened either but I can make up as good a story as some you part time Sherlocks, so unless you know or have reliable info as to the truth, forget it.

It's one thing to make up stories.  It's another thing completely to hope for some reasonable diligence in the investigation.  If it was my brother, I'd certainly be wanting to know that the popo did more than a quick look at the scene.  For all of us (including a very HiSo Thai in a fairly recent SUV crash), it would reduce the risk of an untimely demise if there was some reasonable risk of being caught out for anyone hatching such a scheme.

On 8/4/2017 at 7:17 PM, tomwct said:

I was thinking the same! An unhappy customer comes over for a visit! RIP to his family!

Buffoon comment of the day. Is your life that messed up that everything is a TV detective show plot?

On 8/4/2017 at 9:16 AM, trogers said:

A reason why I stay in a condo in my retirement.

And? How does  staying in a condo protect you? When I was in Patong in a   very busy condominium,  they found one old Finn  several days after his death, only because of the  smell that was coming out of his place. Another guy had been dead for awhile and the only reason he was found was because maintenance had to check a  burst water pipe. Sadly for many foreign retirees, they have no friends, nor anyone who cares about them and so they die and rot in their rooms.

5 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Buffoon comment of the day. Is your life that messed up that everything is a TV detective show plot?

And? How does  staying in a condo protect you? When I was in Patong in a   very busy condominium,  they found one old Finn  several days after his death, only because of the  smell that was coming out of his place. Another guy had been dead for awhile and the only reason he was found was because maintenance had to check a  burst water pipe. Sadly for many foreign retirees, they have no friends, nor anyone who cares about them and so they die and rot in their rooms.

You don't need to climb up a floor to get to your bedroom.

With age, it is much safer to have houses on a single level and to avoid having staircases at home, as much as possible.

Always, always  be careful when using the swimming pool or on exiting a bathtub if you have one at home. Slippery steps are a killer.

Thai Road rash is not the only thing that kills in Thailand. So be safe mainly to our elderly posters out there.

Requiescat in pace to the poor chap.©

20 hours ago, trogers said:

You don't need to climb up a floor to get to your bedroom.

One can have a single level dwelling home,  and one can have a  multi story condo. There are a number of  places where one can have a roof top terrace reached directly from the  unit. A one story unit is not exclusive to a condominium. Sadly more people  slip and fall in the bathroom than elsewhere in a home.

The key of course is to have a cleaner and/or security and/or  attendant to check the unit daily. One can do that in  a private home, or a condominium or a long stay hotel. The ideal place for an elderly or infirm foreigner is a mixed hotel with longstay/residential residents with CCTV and  someone monitoring the CCTV.

24 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

One can have a single level dwelling home,  and one can have a  multi story condo. There are a number of  places where one can have a roof top terrace reached directly from the  unit. A one story unit is not exclusive to a condominium. Sadly more people  slip and fall in the bathroom than elsewhere in a home.

The key of course is to have a cleaner and/or security and/or  attendant to check the unit daily. One can do that in  a private home, or a condominium or a long stay hotel. The ideal place for an elderly or infirm foreigner is a mixed hotel with longstay/residential residents with CCTV and  someone monitoring the CCTV.

All to do with choice from a limited budget.

Equate the budget of this case of a townhouse. The equivalent rent for a condo unit would just be a 1-bedroom unit, and not a duplex or one with roof garden.

One thing I recommend is to get those non-slip plastic mats that have suction cups and put them in all the showers and on bathroom floors for entry/exit from any baths/showers. For some reason Thais seem to like glossy (and slippery) tiles, and I guess when you weigh only 50-60kgs it is not an issue. But for us bigger (fatter) westerners then it can be a big problem, and as you get older it can be very dangerous. I cant remember where I got them - Home Pro or Global House I think - maybe Big C.  Cheap and well worth the investment.

Plus, you can get stick-on anti-slip strips from any hardware stores back home for the stairs. I have not seen them in Thailand - but did find this on the web:  http://th.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/223004976991/

and on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Floor-Stair-Anti-Slip-Tape-Anti-Skid-Safety-Tape-Roll-Non-Slip-Sticker-Strip-/222310616751?var=&hash=item33c2beceaf:m:mVO8DNeDDR8x8ljS1x8JhvQ

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

One thing I recommend is to get those non-slip plastic mats that have suction cups and put them in all the showers and on bathroom floors for entry/exit from any baths/showers. For some reason Thais seem to like glossy (and slippery) tiles, and I guess when you weigh only 50-60kgs it is not an issue. But for us bigger (fatter) westerners then it can be a big problem, and as you get older it can be very dangerous. I cant remember where I got them - Home Pro or Global House I think - maybe Big C.  Cheap and well worth the investment.

Plus, you can get stick-on anti-slip strips from any hardware stores back home for the stairs. I have not seen them in Thailand - but did find this on the web:  http://th.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/223004976991/

and on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Floor-Stair-Anti-Slip-Tape-Anti-Skid-Safety-Tape-Roll-Non-Slip-Sticker-Strip-/222310616751?var=&hash=item33c2beceaf:m:mVO8DNeDDR8x8ljS1x8JhvQ

I don't have a bath in the house (TBH I can't remember the last time I had one) but the floor tiles are definitely not glossy or slippery and have small ridges.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it is an accident?...Steps...staircases....no way and at any age...always a risk factor...

However, by pure curiosity, it would be interesting to see if his Chanot/Tabien Ban and other title deeds were still around, if he owned the property....And perhaps, if his bank accounts strangely start to evaporate?...and if by a strange divine hand, his property get's transfered to x y z!?

Requiescat in pace to the unfortunate..

On 26/08/2017 at 7:15 PM, observer90210 said:

Of course it is an accident?...Steps...staircases....no way and at any age...always a risk factor...

However, by pure curiosity, it would be interesting to see if his Chanot/Tabien Ban and other title deeds were still around, if he owned the property....And perhaps, if his bank accounts strangely start to evaporate?...and if by a strange divine hand, his property get's transfered to x y z!?

Requiescat in pace to the unfortunate..

Would this curiosity extend to anyone falling downs the stairs globally or restricted just to Thailand to fit nicely into the stereotypical profile ?

Archived