Male tourist ignores red flags, saved from drowning by Phuket lifeguards

snoop1130

Male tourist ignores red flags, saved from drowning by Phuket lifeguards

Eakkapop Thongtub

1501841534_1-org.jpg

The man was ulled from the sea at Patong Beach at 2:30pm today (Aug 4). Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET:-- Lifeguards stationed at Patong Beach saved a male foreigner from drowning this afternoon after he ignored red flags posted along the beach.

Phuket Lifeguards Service today (Aug 4) posted four pictures on their Facebook page along with the message; “Patong Lifeguards just rescued a man from the rip. He is safe.”

One of the lifeguards said, “The incident happened at 2:30pm. A male tourist was pulled out by a wave while he was swimming in the sea. Three of us took paddle boards and rushed towards him. He was very tired from swimming. We let him rest on the beach before advising him to go to a hospital to have his body checked.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/male-tourist-ignores-red-flags-saved-from-drowning-by-phuket-lifeguards-63324.php#63T5veTE1SWRpchd.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-8-4

I think people who normally swim in a pool think swimming the sea is the same thing.I don't mind a paddle in a pool but knee deep in the sea is about as near I get to swimming in it.

33 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I think people who normally swim in a pool think swimming the sea is the same thing.I don't mind a paddle in a pool but knee deep in the sea is about as near I get to swimming in it.

In fairness, the red flagged surf in Thailand is usually a lot less rough than where a lot of us swim and surf on a regular basis.  If I had spent a year saving up for a beach adventure and thousands of dollars on tickets and hotels, I'd be tempted to chance it.  Especially after living in Surf City, USA where we prayed for - and reveled in- big surf.

Not that it would be a good idea, because it's the rip tides that catch them off guard. 

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not that it would be a good idea, because it's the rip tides that catch them off guard

Genuine Surfers are well aware of rips and know how to manage them.  Also a genuine surfer is unlikely to enter the water on a red flagged public beach --- thus encouraging the idiots to follow. 

Archived