US Veteran Health Care cover Info

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for doing the homework on this and posting.

i am a retired veteran with 20% disability for blood pressure and back problems.  64 and will soon be switched to Tricare for Life.  I have my final yearly physical under Tricare Monday and then transfer to Tricare for Life.

I visit Thailand, at least, two times a year for under 30 days.  I will be in Pattaya beginning February 15, 2019 for 30-55 days.  

I seem to have a nerve injury in my hand that goes up into the shoulder area or vice versa.  We believe it is a pinched nerve in the shoulder.  The Doctor will, probably, put me on 800mg Ibruprophren, three times a day and may give me a sling.

My concern is that it gets unmanageable while traveling the 30 hours to Thailand or it gets worse in Thailand.  

If I go to Pattaya Hospital or another medical provider in Thailand, would it be best to buy insurance before leaving or can I get reimbursed for expenses.

Appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks.

Thought that I would post the below link.  Seems I would only be covered for stuff associated with blood pressure and back??

https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/veterans/fmp/index.asp
That site is not talking about Tricare. Not all veterans are eligible for Tricare.

If you have Tricare for Life it will cover any medically necessary procedure here but on a reimbursement basis.

BTW what you describe could also be a priblem with the cervical spine.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you have Tricare for Life it will cover any medically necessary procedure here but on a reimbursement basis.

Sheryl,

Outstanding information.  I would never had known this but for your postings.  Unbelievably helpful.

One more question please.  What would your opinion be for my wife?  She did 16 years in the Navy but did not retire.  She is 61 and she uses Tricare at present.  

She was with me in Pattaya during April-May 2018 visit and will be visiting Thailand with me later on in the year.

Thanks Again.

P.s.  Appreciate the cervical spine part.  I will discuss with my provider in my yearly physical on Monday.

Edited by George36
Spelling

• 1 month later...
Sheryl,

Outstanding information.  I would never had known this but for your postings.  Unbelievably helpful.

One more question please.  What would your opinion be for my wife?  She did 16 years in the Navy but did not retire.  She is 61 and she uses Tricare at present.  

She was with me in Pattaya during April-May 2018 visit and will be visiting Thailand with me later on in the year.

Thanks Again.

P.s.  Appreciate the cervical spine part.  I will discuss with my provider in my yearly physical on Monday.

If you're qualified for Tricare, you could call them before your travel dates to switch to Tricare overseas select, the coverage will begin on the dates you provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 10 months later...

Anyone on an OA visa will face this problem.

There is no exception made for people with Tricare.

Nor for people  covered under Thai Social Security.

Anyone in this situation should consider changing to an O visa.

• Thanks 1

Great info and thanks.  I did not know you could email your FMP claims in.  I put my first FMP claim in via Thai Post snail mail on October 19, received by FMP October 27th (relatively fast I thought), check received in the mail at my box here in Thailand January 19th for full amount claimed.  I figured it would take longer.  Lucky I have a bank I can E-deposit my check to.  In this day and age not sure why issue a checks especially to folk who live overseas.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, George36 said:

Thanks for doing the homework on this and posting.

i am a retired veteran with 20% disability for blood pressure and back problems.  64 and will soon be switched to Tricare for Life.  I have my final yearly physical under Tricare Monday and then transfer to Tricare for Life.

I visit Thailand, at least, two times a year for under 30 days.  I will be in Pattaya beginning February 15, 2019 for 30-55 days.  

I seem to have a nerve injury in my hand that goes up into the shoulder area or vice versa.  We believe it is a pinched nerve in the shoulder.  The Doctor will, probably, put me on 800mg Ibruprophren, three times a day and may give me a sling.

My concern is that it gets unmanageable while traveling the 30 hours to Thailand or it gets worse in Thailand.  

If I go to Pattaya Hospital or another medical provider in Thailand, would it be best to buy insurance before leaving or can I get reimbursed for expenses.

Appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks.

DO NOT take 800mg Ibruprophren...

• 4 months later...

Veteran Evaluation Services have started scheduling exams again.  Just finished my appointment this week at Bangkok Mission Hospital, originally scheduled in March this year but cancelled.  Searched but didn't find a forum dedicated to US Military Veterans Medical Care here in Thailand. If there is one please post it. 

1 hour ago, Saraburi121 said:

Veteran Evaluation Services have started scheduling exams again.  Just finished my appointment this week at Bangkok Mission Hospital, originally scheduled in March this year but cancelled.  Searched but didn't find a forum dedicated to US Military Veterans Medical Care here in Thailand. If there is one please post it. 

If you're a US veteran in Thailand, you'd be wise to join a local post of the VFW.  Udon, Korat, Bangkok, among other places have posts.  Every post has a service officer who can provide guidance/assistance concerning VA claims.  If you have a verified service connected disability, you can file claims for any treatment (on that disability) direct to the Foreign Medical Program.  Again, if you're a veteran in Thailand, you owe it to yourself to get in touch with a VFW post.  

18 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

If you're a US veteran in Thailand, you'd be wise to join a local post of the VFW.  Udon, Korat, Bangkok, among other places have posts.  Every post has a service officer who can provide guidance/assistance concerning VA claims.  If you have a verified service connected disability, you can file claims for any treatment (on that disability) direct to the Foreign Medical Program.  Again, if you're a veteran in Thailand, you owe it to yourself to get in touch with a VFW post.  

Have been a member of the VFW for a while, just transferred to Post 12146. Posting here for those Vets who may not be in touch or aren't eligible for membership.  Good advice!

• 5 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 7:29 AM, gk10002000 said:

Suggest changing the title of the topic.  The contents of the post are geared towards a very specific group of veterans.

Yeah.  Veterans who are excluded (as we're not actually considered to be veterans)?  Those of us who served between 1975 and 2001.  We're just chopped liver.  Benefits: I was offered a VA home loan that was more expensive than an conventional loan.  And maybe an America flag if I hurry up and die (but maybe not).  But healthcare?  Oh my goodness, don't make me laugh.  Like I said, the VA really doesn't consider us to be "real" veterans.  The message I got from the VA was clear.  You get nothing!  Neither does your spouse if you die.  So go away non-vet and stop bothering us.  Go find a street corner to die on.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Are there any Retired Veterans who are receiving treatment for Metastatic Prostate Cancer, using the recently FDA approved (23 March 22) drug 177Lu-PSMA-617 (Pluvicto), at a private hospital in Bangkok, that will accept using the VA-FMP for payment?

Have been using enzalutamide (Xtandi) for the past few years but it is now letting my PSA to rise to fast according to my Oncology Doctor.

The VA-FMP has been paying for all my Metastatic Prostate Cancer (Vietnam 64-65) Therapy and do not know if they will also accept the new drug Pluvicto.

If so, would you please PM me. Thanks.

Coconut

On 4/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, coconut said:

Are there any Retired Veterans who are receiving treatment for Metastatic Prostate Cancer, using the recently FDA approved (23 March 22) drug 177Lu-PSMA-617 (Pluvicto), at a private hospital in Bangkok, that will accept using the VA-FMP for payment?

Have been using enzalutamide (Xtandi) for the past few years but it is now letting my PSA to rise to fast according to my Oncology Doctor.

The VA-FMP has been paying for all my Metastatic Prostate Cancer (Vietnam 64-65) Therapy and do not know if they will also accept the new drug Pluvicto.

If so, would you please PM me. Thanks.

Coconut

I'm afraid Pluvicto is not yet available in Thailand.

Indeed, it was only approved by the US FDA last month.

You should discuss with your oncologist what options are available in Thailand -- or perhaps consider a return to the US.

Hi Sheryl

Thanks for the reply.

Been living full time in Thailand for the last 31 years, so no return to the USA for me. Plus at 87 years old and many medical problems, can not fly any more.

Actually Pluvicto has been available in Thailand for a few years from Australia and

Germany, even though not approved by the US FDA.

I know mCRPC patients, who have been treated with Pluvicto, in the private hospital in Bangkok, where I have been receiving cancer, heart and urology therapy for the last 4 yrs, paid for by the VA-FMP  directly to the hospital.

• 3 months later...

I have lived in Thailand for the past 15plus years. Came in 2005 went out once in 2006 and since I have not left the country. I am a retired 22 years USAF person. I do not have any VA qualified issues so I cannot use FMP. I have been using Tricare Overseas Program all these years. Since 2016 wehn I had neck and tongue cancer Tricare has saved me from going broke as it is my only insurance to cover me. Tricare requires that a retired military person belongs to Medicare  and pays the costs of Medicare to be able to use Tricare Overseas.

A person like me can go to any hospital or doctor and get treatment here but the invoice must be paid up front and then the member must file a claim for reimbursement at a rate of 75% for covered treatments and 25% copay. When the max out of pocket is reached before the end of a calendar year Tricare will pay back 100% of an invoice. Back 15 years ago several hospitals would agree to accept a person as an IPD patient and that hospital would accept 25 % paid up front and they would agree to file a claim direct to Tricare for the 75%. To date I am not sure how many hospitals will agree to this payment process any longer as there were to many people trying to game the system and the hospitals got burned so they stopped doing the 25/75 deal for IPD patients. As far as I know BPH is the only one that contiues to allow this payment deal. I have used that at least 4 times now. BNH did have the plan but since Covid they stopped as it was too much work for them to file the claims to Tricare and wait 3 or 4 months for the money. Bangkok Med Center had the plan a long time ago and got burned very bad and now they hear the word Tricare and will not even talk about using IPD scheme.

Anyone with Tricare Overseas  or other Tricare cover can use a hospital or doctor here in Thailand and file a claim for OPD services and get reimbursed the 75% of the invoice with the proper paperwork sent to Tricare. So far this I have filed at least 20 claims and been paid for all at the 75% return. I have reached my max cap so now all claims till Dec 31 are paid at 100 %.

Hope his helps some and I did not confuse too many folks. But as said before any VFW post service officer can help you they do not require a person be a Post member to get help

• 3 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 7:29 AM, gk10002000 said:

Suggest changing the title of the topic.  The contents of the post are geared towards a very specific group of veterans.

You have to be a very special category of US veteran.  For many of us?  This is worthless.
Why?  We're not "special."  Not 20+ years retired.  Not combat vets.  Served during the wrong years.  Unable to obtain post-enlistment evaluation and treatment.

If you're "special?"  Wonderful.  For the rest of us?  Maybe your family gets a flag when you die, but probably not.  Gotta cut back on services somewhere.

• 9 months later...

Quote "You have to be a very special category of US veteran."

As far as I understand it, if you are not a retiree, what you have to be is someone who a VA doctor has examined and officially determined that you have a condition considered to be "Service Connected" condition.  Then, only that condition is covered by the VA.

At BHC (Chiang Mai} there is a record of some folks with a VA approved Service Connected disability getting treated for non approved conditions and then not paying for it.  VA of course did not reimburse BHC, and BHC is understandably not happy about dealing with it.