Old NGV canister takes off like a torpedo and ploughs into neighbor's living room

rooster59

Old NGV canister takes off like a torpedo and ploughs into neighbor's living room

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzYwNS8zMDI3Mzk0L2NkZm5naC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

Muang Rayong police were called to the scene of a bizarre accident yesterday after an old NGV canister shot off like a torpedo into a neighbor's living room.

The canister had been bought by second hand goods trader Chatree, 45, who lives 100 meters away.

He paid 400 baht for the 1.2meter long canister as scrap metal on Wednesday. It weighed 70 kilograms.

Yesterday he bashed the top of it in his yard and he said it started spewing gas and launched into the air.

It smashed through his own house causing masonry and wood to tumble on his aging gran Mrs Pan, 87, who suffered cuts to her right eyebrow.

The canister had shot off like a torpedo and then smashed through the wall of a house belonging to Mrs Khreuawan, 59, a neighbor.

It made a hole 80 by 60 centimeters in a 15 centimeters thick wall. A sofa was hurled away by the impact.

No one else was hurt as the canister came to rest in the house.

Mrs Khreuawan decided not to press charges as Chatree said he would pay for everything.

Chatree said that the old canister had been lying out in the sun.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-05

I deal with construction failures more often than I should have too. There appears to be re-bar going horizontally across the top of the bricks in RH corner which would indicate concrete wall being cast on top on a brick wall.With no ties between concrete so it 2 walls on top of each other with no bond except dry cement. Save it and zoom in and it's clear

I have been coming to Thailand for 10 years before moving here.  I have never seen a gas cylinder with a cap.  Those are dangerous.  Imagine a baloon that you blow up and let go.  Weot only manditory to keep the cap on when not in use but it is ll if it is a gas cylinder it will look the same except lots of damage.  In the US it is religious followed by everyone I have worked with.  Yes I have years of construction experience.

3 hours ago, masuk said:

What exactly in "NGV"  ?

NGV is just petroleum gas under pressure of course.  Normally it's quite safe but not like the guy said, it was lying in the sun and then he bang the top hard. He was asking to see Mr. Grim Reaper

1 hour ago, Dan5 said:

I'll comment anyway you jerk. This type of things happens also in the US and I'm sure in many other countries. But unfortunately this forum is loaded with jerks like you who need to get their kicks bashing Thais. 

Yer... it does... but we try to learn from our mistakes thru ongoing education and implementation of rules and safeguards... at home, the incidents of this nature are generally due to bottles falling over. Unsecured bottles are a cardinal sin.

last year another Thai scrap merchant destroyed his neighbourhood by trying to oxy cut apart an old mine

you say "what?"... I say "what?"... a true story of stupidity.

This accusation of Thai bashing really is tiring.  It's a government admitted fact that the education level is low in Thailand compared to the World and other Asian countries.

How many Thai's understand gas pressure?   You would think it would be common sense to relieve gas pressure in a gas cylinder prior to knocking the valve off.  Glad the outcome was no deaths or bad injuries. 

It reminds me of the report I read here on TV about 3 years ago where a scrap merchant in Bangkok managed to get hold of a WW2 bomb dropped by the RAF - I think they were using some form of welding apparatus to open it when it finally exploded  - some 70 years later!

When I was a kid in high school, a large oxygen bottle fell over and broke off the valve. I didn't see it happen but I did see the nice round hole through the block wall. No one was hurt and the cylinder stopped in the grass yard before it got to the street. From then on, the bottles were chained in place. It was definitely a good learning experience.

14 minutes ago, Gary A said:

When I was a kid in high school, a large oxygen bottle fell over and broke off the valve. I didn't see it happen but I did see the nice round hole through the block wall. No one was hurt and the cylinder stopped in the grass yard before it got to the street. From then on, the bottles were chained in place. It was definitely a good learning experience.

On a summer construction job during high school, I was nearly hit by oxygen and acetylene cylinders that fell from about 3 or 4 stories up when a freight lift gave way.  Fortunately they remained intact.

I hope someone was holding his beer when he did that.

The large green oxygen bottles for a cutting torch have no protection collar. They should have but they don't. I have a MIG welder and the CO2 bottle also has no collar. It contains about 3,000 PSI. It would also be a missile if the valve were broken off.

50 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The large green oxygen bottles for a cutting torch have no protection collar. They should have but they don't. I have a MIG welder and the CO2 bottle also has no collar. It contains about 3,000 PSI. It would also be a missile if the valve were broken off.

We have Alumiino thermic welders working with us to weld Rail.Gas and oxygen bottles used for pre heat have collars or they don't make it onto a site, Has been standard practice since I started 30 years ago.

Archived