Old NGV canister takes off like a torpedo and ploughs into neighbor's living room

rooster59

4 hours ago, Gary A said:

The large green oxygen bottles for a cutting torch have no protection collar. They should have but they don't. I have a MIG welder and the CO2 bottle also has no collar. It contains about 3,000 PSI. It would also be a missile if the valve were broken off.

I would say that on your welding bottles there is a threaded collar. This is for screwing on the protective cap to cover the valve. 

I know in CA it is illegal to store or transfer such containers unsecured and without the safety cap. 

11 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

I have been coming to Thailand for 10 years before moving here.  I have never seen a gas cylinder with a cap.  Those are dangerous.  Imagine a baloon that you blow up and let go.  Weot only manditory to keep the cap on when not in use but it is ll if it is a gas cylinder it will look the same except lots of damage.  In the US it is religious followed by everyone I have worked with.  Yes I have years of construction experience.

By cap you means these ?

Cylinder-Cap.jpg

Very very common here and I suspect most parts of the world, why are they dangerous ?

On 05/08/2017 at 4:42 PM, Dave67 said:

I deal with construction failures more often than I should have too. There appears to be re-bar going horizontally across the top of the bricks in RH corner which would indicate concrete wall being cast on top on a brick wall.With no ties between concrete so it 2 walls on top of each other with no bond except dry cement. Save it and zoom in and it's clear

Standard Thai construction methods meet's standard Thai dangerous materials handling practices.  Hes lucky he didn't try to cut the top off with a grinder.   I often look at these cages on big trucks that are intended to contain those huge NGV bottles and wonder how strong they really are.  It is a wonder we do not hear  about gas bottle disasters after truck and car wrecks.  Mr Koeniggsig is talking about running a supercar on compressed air.

On 06/08/2017 at 3:50 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

I would say that on your welding bottles there is a threaded collar. This is for screwing on the protective cap to cover the valve. 

I know in CA it is illegal to store or transfer such containers unsecured and without the safety cap. 

Yes, but do they have temples selling lucky amulets there??  Besides, if it is your day to go, nothing will save you, so why bother?  LOSaPD. Land of superstition and pre-destination.

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Yes, but do they have temples selling lucky amulets there??  Besides, if it is your day to go, nothing will save you, so why bother?  LOSaPD. Land of superstition and pre-destination.

This is true, 

On 05/08/2017 at 10:10 PM, Simons3 said:

ok  Question, shouldn't the debris on the floor be on the other side of the hole ?

Making a wild guess here that tidying up might have been done a long time before the newspaper guy took the photograph.

Just sayin'

?

Archived