Chaos at Don Mueang as unstaffed immigration desks leave thousands of passengers stranded

rooster59

And from another article today:-

"Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi Airports enter top ten for on-time service

BANGKOK, 7 August 2017 (NNT) – Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi Airports have made to the top ten list of Asia Pacific airports providing on-time service. 

Airports of Thailand (AoT) has reported that website flightstats.com, a portal for real time aviation information that collects data from across the globe, has recognized both Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports for their on-time service in June of this year."

Hmmm?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I cannot confirm this.
April of this year we have flown from BKK to Germany changing in Vienna. There incredibly fast service in the early morning. In Germany no control when leaving the airport  ... because of Schengen-Visa, checked in Vienna!

I was referring to the well documented delays at airports in Southern Europe in the last few days. I am sure German airports are the height of efficiency!

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I was referring to the well documented delays at airports in Southern Europe in the last few days. I am sure German airports are the height of efficiency!

The recent chaos in Spain seems to stem from increased security protocols, labor disputes and possibly even some Brexit politics.

The increasing delays at DMK are not new and appear due to abysmal management until proven otherwise.

7 hours ago, sambum said:

And from another article today:-

"Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi Airports enter top ten for on-time service

BANGKOK, 7 August 2017 (NNT) – Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi Airports have made to the top ten list of Asia Pacific airports providing on-time service. 

Airports of Thailand (AoT) has reported that website flightstats.com, a portal for real time aviation information that collects data from across the globe, has recognized both Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports for their on-time service in June of this year."

Hmmm?

'... website flightstats.com ... has recognized both Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports for their on-time service in June of this year."' Only eleven months to make up, then.

While the BKK experience is less than stellar, I'm not sentimental over DMK...recalling the extraordinary jams to/from, really from late seventies right through to the time BKK opened. Two hours from DMK to town was pretty average, could be three on a bad day/peak. Outbound was a nightmare at anytime after 6.30am. Add to that the slow immigration and it was usually a frustrating experience. 
At least now the traffic flow has improved.

Yep, I've never really understood the sentimentality for DMK other than the usual TV posters whinging that things were better in the old days and romantising over their younger days.

Don Muang (old spelling) was a terrible dump. It was a nightmare to reach and return from - especially before they extended the toll way. It had awful facilities. It had awful carparking. Taxis were a nightmare. It was just terrible.

I gladly pay extra now to avoid it.

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep, I've never really understood the sentimentality for DMK other than the usual TV posters whinging that things were better in the old days and romantising over their younger days.

Don Muang (old spelling) was a terrible dump. It was a nightmare to reach and return from - especially before they extended the toll way. It had awful facilities. It had awful carparking. Taxis were a nightmare. It was just terrible.

I gladly pay extra now to avoid it.

One day folks will be writing the same about Suvarnabhumi...

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

And no doubt your looking for any opportunity to criticize.

If the general was spending a lot of time on all such matters you'd say he shouldn't be looking at these low level matters which should be handled professionally and with efficiency within the responsibilities and capabilities of the seniors in the agency concerned.  

Neither of which is happening, soooooo...

On 8/6/2017 at 5:22 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

The UAE doesn't use forms at all.  The information they want is on the passport. <deleted> does immigration need to know where you are staying, with absolutely no idea that what you write is true anyway. If they can manage, why not Thailand or anywhere else.

Europe never had such paperwork too ;-) 

Good news.  It's just been announced in the Royal Gazette that the now redundant TM6 landing and departure forms will officially become history from October 1st. The ministerial order was signed by Prayut himself. That should cut some seconds off processing time and save some trees too.  

Good news.  It's just been announced in the Royal Gazette that the now redundant TM6 landing and departure forms will officially become history from October 1st. The ministerial order was signed by Prayut himself. That should cut some seconds off processing time and save some trees too.  

I thought that they were replacing them with an updated version - or have they sacked that idea?

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, SnackmasterB said:

Has anybody gone through DMK immigration lines very recently?

Just wondering if the queues are still 3 hours on average, or have they lessened at all...

I waited about 2.5 hours in late July.

Also appreciate any up to date comments / information about immigration waiting time for departing passengers at DM?

Thanks.

Archived