Ford Ranger 3.2 new battery

My 2 year old Ford Ranger battery is coming up for replacement, and I was wondering if anyone knows the best brand for its replacement? if I leave it to Ford they will probably sell me something they get a good commission on not what is the best. Any experience would be good.

Please search back through this forum a few weeks ...battery for Everest/Ranger discussed.

Fords have a smart charging system and it's not advisable to fit just any battery. Also in the topic someone says what make of battery Ford rebrand.

Also it is probable that the smart charging system will require re-calibration ...all discussed previously and can be googled ...

At service the smart charging system is checked ....

Suggest that you also maintain the circuit when changing the battery ...

My last replacement battery for my Navara was a FB battery, and it lasted 3 years and 11 months, while during it's lifespan i had it run completely dry twice.

I just replaced it last week with a new FB 85 Ah Hybrid battery, at 2600 Baht minus 500 Baht for the old one.

I replaced my ranger battery with a panasonic brand one for 3000 baht and the battery dealer replaced it straight away , no problems and worked fine

Ford wanted 3800 baht for their battery and the vehicle in their workshop for 4 hours to do the replacement

5 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I replaced my ranger battery with a panasonic brand one for 3000 baht and the battery dealer replaced it straight away , no problems and worked fine

Ford wanted 3800 baht for their battery and the vehicle in their workshop for 4 hours to do the replacement

Was this a new Ford ranger? 

CC, have a read at this pdf if you haven't already looked back at the earlier Ranger Battery saga.  http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/2945759434DDE6E8714173.pdf

Have a look at BBBattery Delivery, or whatever their name, and see what they recommend ... http://www.batterybbdelivery.com/  you might need a little help from Ms CC :smile:

I agree with MM2 about Panansonic, I like their MF series ...

Here is the topic I suggested that you look at 

I have to admit that I through The Ford battery was a re-badged Bosch but someone who should know says it's a GS Siam ...  

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

CC, have a read at this pdf if you haven't already looked back at the earlier Ranger Battery saga.  http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/2945759434DDE6E8714173.pdf

Have a look at BBBattery Delivery, or whatever their name, and see what they recommend ... http://www.batterybbdelivery.com/  you might need a little help from Ms CC :smile:

I agree with MM2 about Panansonic, I like their MF series ...

Here is the topic I suggested that you look at 

I have to admit that I through The Ford battery was a re-badged Bosch but someone who should know says it's a GS Siam ...  

Ford is indeed a GS battery. Nothing wrong with that, it's basically a Yuasa :-)

On 06/08/2017 at 2:56 PM, colinchaffers said:

My 2 year old Ford Ranger battery is coming up for replacement,

My factory-fitted battery lasted 4 years (not Ford) almost to the day. I only replaced it when it was almost dead, and that was only noticeable for the last few days. What makes you think that yours is "coming up for replacement" so early?

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My factory-fitted battery lasted 4 years (not Ford) almost to the day. I only replaced it when it was almost dead, and that was only noticeable for the last few days. What makes you think that yours is "coming up for replacement" so early?

Battery life is usually related to the usage the ride gets..There is no guarantee of life span..

This will make you chuckle, when my "genuine" Toyota battery failed at 2 years I phoned them to deliver a replacement, it's an auto ride so could not push start it, anyhooo, it came with a 90 day guaranty... facepalm.gif.fb12eee2e7f82160bba6e967a41032b0.gif

14 hours ago, JoeW said:

Ford is indeed a GS battery. Nothing wrong with that, it's basically a Yuasa :-)

Ah, I see that there has been some 'joining' of GS Siam and Yuasa at least in the Traction Division.

I also understand that Yuasa don't produce or didn't produce the so called Silver Calcium battery but said that it is suitable to be used in the Ford Smart Charging System (at least in the UK).

So some  here are using none Silver Calcium grid batteries with the Ford system and having no apparent problems. But else were I read many are.

Hopefully when I need a new battery for the EV all will be clear ....:smile: 

11 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Ah, I see that there has been some 'joining' of GS Siam and Yuasa at least in the Traction Division.

I also understand that Yuasa don't produce or didn't produce the so called Silver Calcium battery but said that it is suitable to be used in the Ford Smart Charging System (at least in the UK).

So some  here are using none Silver Calcium grid batteries with the Ford system and having no apparent problems. But else were I read many are.

Well Yuasa is GS's parent company ;-)

27 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Why would a smart charge system need a special battery?

Smart charge is a software, and silver calcium is still a lead acid battery, so the software wouldn't be able to notice the difference.

Just another ploy to rip off their customers.

There are no problems with replacing silver calcium batteries with regular ones in a Ford.

http://www.platinuminternational.com/ford-calcium-silver-batteries

The problem lies with installing silver calcium in a car without a smart charge system.

http://www.necon.co.za/agcabatt.php

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Because yours wasn't in a 3.2 Ranger? Everyone's experience will vary but there is a higher likelihood that Ford's OEM batteries as fitted to Rangers, and especially the 3.2 Rangers, will go tits-up sooner than later.

There's no need to get Ford to replace it or Ford to do any smart-charge re-calibration either. Some 'tradies' (commercial users) in Australia (and those in the know in Thailand) have disabled smart-charge as it is related to electrical issues on vehicles with additional, after-market electrical add-ons such as electronic trailer brake controllers, tow-trailer electrics and dual battery installations. It doesn't do squat for most standard users with a single battery as it is primarily a green "energy-saver" feature. I have had the batteries disconnected and in and out several times while doing electrical modifications and there never been any issues with charging after reconnecting.

I recommend the Boliden 12TL85 SMF battery pictured below, installed in my 28 month-old 3.2 Ranger. I replaced the OEM box of sparks around 12 months after purchase when I had one-too-many spontaneous flat batteries! Like the (slightly smaller) Boliden I replaced the dud Ford battery with in the previous 2.2 Ranger, neither truck missed a beat after installing this brand. It's rated at 85 AH and 770 CCA so trumps the Ford OEM battery in the aspects that count. Easily should be less than 4000 baht, definitely so with the trade-in (disposal discount) on the old battery.

59892fd221f70_P_20170808_101614(Small).jpg.5ce9f10319889f33f40a0ae43524fc69.jpg

I reali

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Why would a smart charge system need a special battery?

Smart charge is a software, and silver calcium is still a lead acid battery, so the software wouldn't be able to notice the difference.

Just another ploy to rip off their customers.

There are no problems with replacing silver calcium batteries with regular ones in a Ford.

http://www.platinuminternational.com/ford-calcium-silver-batteries

The problem lies with installing silver calcium in a car without a smart charge system.

http://www.necon.co.za/agcabatt.php

I realise the problem of fitting a Silver Calcium battery to a none Ford (or other) none smart charge system.

However I was under the impression that the SCS is set to a higher voltage and controlled by the PCM. Thus it would continue to try and charge a fully charged none SC battery unless the charging voltage level is reset ... I have previously read the Megapulse thing and assumed that it's purpose is to reset the charging voltage level ... must have not understood it very well.  

Ford check/reset the SCS at service.

Thanks for the info ....

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Because yours wasn't in a 3.2 Ranger? Everyone's experience will vary but there is a higher likelihood that Ford's OEM batteries as fitted to Rangers, and especially the 3.2 Rangers, will go tits-up sooner than later.

What has likelihood got to do with it? I just wonder why anyone would want to replace a battery before it was showing clear signs of dying, and especially after such a relatively short time. I certainly wouldn't. Lots of people with my brand of vehicle have had to replace their batteries after two or three years. Should I have done the same and wasted one whole year of use?

13 hours ago, transam said:

Battery life is usually related to the usage the ride gets..There is no guarantee of life span..

Yes, I've owned cars for 40+ years and I know that battery life varies. But to me that's just all the more reason to wait until it is actually dying before replacing it. One cant possibly know in advance if it will last 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or more years. So why not just wait and see?

Unless perhaps the OP lives alone many miles from any battery shop or assistance and so does not want to be stranded one morning? For me it's no big deal as there are dozens of battery shops within a short baht-bus ride of my condo, and all of them will come out and fit a new battery at the drop of a hat. I had the same thing with a flat tyre once also.

What has likelihood got to do with it? I just wonder why anyone would want to replace a battery before it was showing clear signs of dying, and especially after such a relatively short time. I certainly wouldn't. Lots of people with my brand of vehicle have had to replace their batteries after two or three years. Should I have done the same and wasted one whole year of use?
I had the dealer informing us for around 2 years that we needed a new battery before it did eventually fail.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

My battery life update.....:stoner:

Vigo  4x4 with auto trans, now 10 years old and has been used mainly for short trips with lots of starting, very few long trips..

Original Toyota L/acid lasted exactly 2 years, replaced with the same battery but obviously not from the same batch, lasted exactly 2 years. So I sourced a sealed Boliden silver calcium battery but sadly getting it to me they lost half the liquid content...:sad:...I was stuffed but fitted it anyway, it lasted 3 years..:thumbsup:

It failed when I was out, lucky l was at a superstore so l bought the only one they had with the correct amperage and post configuration, a cheap 3K L/acid.

With this battery every time l get home l lift the hood to get rid of the heat, it is now 3 years old, shows 12.3V in the morning and 12.6V after a short run, of course l have no idea of the available amps, but it cranks easy and starts immediately...:smile:

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

I had the dealer informing us for around 2 years that we needed a new battery before it did eventually fail.

It seems unusual that they would send a letter about batteries. The only letters I've ever had from my dealers were for regular servicing appointments and recalls.

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Even with all the added emphasis, maybe you missed the bit about the...

On 8/8/2017 at 10:39 AM, NanLaew said:

...higher likelihood that Ford's OEM batteries as fitted to Rangers, and especially the 3.2 Rangers, will go tits-up sooner than later.

In my long, deep and personal Ford Ranger battery relationships, in a similar way as a fair few others in Thailand, Australia and the UK, there's been no warning of them going to fail. Certainly there was a degree of obfuscation with various dipsh!t dealerships in LOS, Australia and UK blaming after-market doo-dads and 'resetting' the SmartCharge rigmarole but the bottom line is batteries made under license by GS Siam for Ford have a higher failure rate. In other words, Ford Thailand's OEM batteries as fitted to Rangers are a pile of sh!te.

Came home from a 3-day business trip and the bugger was dead as a a maggot in airport parking.... no warning. Sitting in the driveway untouched for a whole day and dead flat when I wanted to go the pub. Parked up outside the hotel overnight and totally dead in the morning. The last straw was dead after turning it off at the PTT pumps just to gas up; this after running around between home, market, restaurant and school since before dawn with multiple trouble-free stops and starts. There was never, ever any slow or prolonged cranking issues that usually precede the regular 'I think I need a new battery' scenario that you seem to think is the universal standard because that's been your experience. They went from live to dead within a few hours and in the last case, in the time it takes to pump 1000 bahts worth of go-juice. Not even enough amps to rattle the starter solenoid. Dead.

Maybe some folks are like yourself and find that a flat battery is a minor nuisance. Plenty Aussies who were camping in the outback in their new Ford ute and woke up to a dud battery in the back of beyond thought otherwise. Personally, I didn't get any warm 'n' fuzzy feeling from being on first-name terms with the Mondial Assist jump start guy... but did note that his battery of choice was a Boliden.

11 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

On my last battery rodeo and just after the driveway deadness, the Ford guys tested the battery and charging with their hand-held digital tester and passed the battery and charging as OK. Two days later, it totally carked it at the PTT station so I gave up on them and went and bought my own battery.

Maybe you had a 'good' one.

10 hours ago, transam said:

My battery life update.....:stoner:

Vigo  4x4 with auto trans, now 10 years old and has been used mainly for short trips with lots of starting, very few long trips..

Original Toyota L/acid lasted exactly 2 years, replaced with the same battery but obviously not from the same batch, lasted exactly 2 years. So I sourced a sealed Boliden silver calcium battery but sadly getting it to me they lost half the liquid content...:sad:...I was stuffed but fitted it anyway, it lasted 3 years..:thumbsup:

It failed when I was out, lucky l was at a superstore so l bought the only one they had with the correct amperage and post configuration, a cheap 3K L/acid.

With this battery every time l get home l lift the hood to get rid of the heat, it is now 3 years old, shows 12.3V in the morning and 12.6V after a short run, of course l have no idea of the available amps, but it cranks easy and starts immediately...:smile:

I will admit that lately, I have gotten into the bonnet-lifting game but if in public. I then feign disinterest so as not to be lumped in with the sad looking ones that appear fawn over their poor, hot mills.

However, I refuse to join the wipers lifted off the windows brigades. I just replace them when they start streaking and squeaking.

On my last battery rodeo and just after the driveway deadness, the Ford guys tested the battery and charging with their hand-held digital tester and passed the battery and charging as OK. Two days later, it totally carked it at the PTT station so I gave up on them and went and bought my own battery.

Maybe you had a 'good' one.
We were in Udon at the time. They appear to be better than the few that always get moaned about.

57 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Even with all the added emphasis, maybe you missed the bit about the...

No, I didnt miss it at all. You said that batteries on that particular vehicle are likely to fail sooner rather than later. I say that I would not care as regardless of when they are likely to fail I would not replace them until they do fail (or at least until they start showing real signs of failing, which is what I did with my own battery).

Archived