Incomes: bar work vs conventional?

JSixpack

Serious friend of mine discussing Thailand asked me about comparative incomes. Question is whether the bar girls are being exploited. (Most of us will laugh at that idea: who's exploiting whom?) I don't have recent stats. Say

To compare for example:

public high school teacher

beginning public uni instructor

entry level nurse

accounting clerk, BA degree

7/11 cashier

Big C cashier

front desk clerk, small/medium hotel

server in resto chain like Fuji

I looked online but ran into paywalls for the latest info. No doubt it's out there if I dig more but maybe our members know offhand or have a link to a nice table. This one's not bad but seems out of date:

http://www.worldsalaries.org/thailand.shtml

We had one thread about salaries in BKK that might be useful:

It seems the subject of bar girl income hasn't been considered since 2003:

So then what's the latest on the average bar girl income, you dawgs you? The average go-dancer income? (Both including average rate of client appts and money sent from abroad) 'Course you might throw in any stats you may have about the low/high end as well. Have at it!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A successful bargirl, i.e. one who gets lots of ladydrinks and barfines, can easily make 100,000 a month.

At 1st glance I laughed when I read your comment. However when doing the maths, its possible. One needs to add that only a very few girls, with discipline and high motivation, would be able to do it. She needs to be in the looksdepartment too.

The deceitful ones would probably be able to make between 150 and 200k a month with various ignorant sponsors abroad. Who do not know the game and each other ofcourse.

Be careful not to get into specifics, or thread will probably be locked due to forum rules.

Probably not a valid comparison, as most bargirls will have unacknowledged income.

In my experience, most bargirls will not make a great deal of money as I doubt many get taken out more than a few days a month, if that. In Chiang Mai, I reckon most are making sod all at the present time, other than wages.

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

One a day by an exceptional attractive lady 2 days off a week Bkk 100,000 a month easy.

When I used to hang out on Nana way back, in one bar I frequented a very attractive lady used to leave and return a couple times most nights I was there.

It's the same as in the "normal life"

The high achievers / hottests chicks make fortune

The low to average make accordingly on how much crap then can take... ie drunk, vulgar, 70y old supermans

As per many reports the hot ones say that they only go with Japanese or Koreans... 3 inches for 3 minutes and 5000+ thb

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A successful bargirl, i.e. one who gets lots of ladydrinks and barfines, can easily make 100,000 a month.

Very rare I would think. Definitely not easy.

What does the OP mean by a "bar girl" . A girl at a bar beer makes small money. A girl at an a go-go might have a monthly salary of 10,000 - 14,000 per month. Plus whatever additional she can earn. Some guys throw out crazy numbers. Some girls might hit it once in a while but most girls don't make much. But it still is decent money if you have no other prospects.

Some of the girls in the go-gos in Pattaya have the chance to do 10 days on 10 days (or up to her) off. But have to sell a certain number of drinks to be able to take time  off. It is a boring, stressful, tiring life. They girls get worn out and often their personality changes and they become hard. They often have to deal with jerks. A hot girl I know wanted to take time off to be w her kid. She was lucky to have an English guy buy her 6 drinks and another bought her 4. She got to take time off. Normally they get about 2 days off a month. This does not coincide with their periods.

A friend of mine who has a masters degree and works for the government in research makes 8,000 a month. But has some perks. No perks for bar girls. No health care or retirement. They are necessarily freelancers or the bar would be involved in prostitution which is illegal. Some bar girls have degrees (not from top unis as their family is poor) but found they make very small money in a regular job.

I am friends with several girls whose fathers are in bad shape and they try to pay for better hospital care for him. No, they do not ask me for money. These are real people trying to do the best they can. Wereas a government worker might get free health care for their family.  Although a friend who works for the BoT had to pay for the quality health care her dying mother received. 

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Now that is just  total rubbish .

were do you get your  information from ?. 

In possible to get that much money ,

3,300 thai bht a day in 30 days no way unless she is 10 out of 10 in looks and body then she gets her day of the month and that can run for up to 5 days if she is lucky.

8 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

3,300 thai bht a day in 30 days no way unless she is 10 out of 10 in looks and body then she gets her day of the month and that can run for up to 5 days if she is lucky.

Not rubbish at all. 

Many of the young good lookers go 2 or 3 times S/T a night .

I know of several who who make 15-20k alone in lady drinks a month.

150k a month is a minimum for them. 

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I used to hang out on Nana way back, in one bar I frequented a very attractive lady used to leave and return a couple times most nights I was there.

Yeah l guess l was off topic didn't really mean ladies that work from bars.

Way back yeah l luv the company of some of the girls that did all different kinds of work in bars, made it a good holiday for me at the time.

Funny. OP requested input for wages in many categories. Seems like the greatest member knowledge is in the area of bar girls, not general workers and other more legitimate occupations. 

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I am friends with several girls whose fathers are in bad shape and they try to pay for better hospital care for him.

That don't make sense to me what so ever if you are talking Thailand

I'm friends with a girl that works in a restaurant whose mother is in hospital and it costs her zero only time & maybe 30 baht.

My Ma-inlaw was in hospital for several weeks at a time for 2 years before she passed and costs to hospital was zero.

I'm just basing it on my personal knowledge.

17 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

Not rubbish at all. 

Many of the young good lookers go 2 or 3 times S/T a night .

I know of several who who make 15-20k alone in lady drinks a month.

150k a month is a minimum for them. 

Read what I said ok if she is 10 out of 10 could get that money but the average bar mole  no way .

you no of several do you , and tell me how many bar moles talk bs lots of them do , I would not believe a bar mole at all .

yes the top 10 out of 10 can make great money but not ever month .

Funny. OP requested input for wages in many categories. Seems like the greatest member knowledge is in the area of bar girls, not general workers and other more legitimate occupations. 

I wonder why!! The admin staff where I work are on a basic of between 15,000-25,000, with the possibility of making commission. A junior doctor I know makes over 100,000. A Thai friend who's an assistant to the ECOs at the British Embassy makes around 30,000.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

So whats your input? Funnily it seems like nothing.

The average wage for a clerk in a shop seems around 8-10k, as far as bar work, there's girls doing over 7 st a day, ( thats from managers)

9 minutes ago, neeray said:

My take from rural area of what l know or hear only.

Ok monthly wages bar-girl.... zero to whatever a month you can work out.

public high school teacher....6000 - 60,000 + in rural school.

beginning public uni instructor....Only know Uni teacher 25,000.

entry level nurse....locally 6,000.

accounting clerk, BA degree.... Don't know S/Employed maybe earn more.

7/11 cashier....They get minimum day rate and can work overtime.

Big C cashier....Same as 7-11.

front desk clerk, small/medium hotel...Don't know usually family member.

server in resto chain like Fuji...If a franchise minimum day rate.

1 minute ago, kaorop said:

So whats your input? Funnily it seems like nothing.

The average wage for a clerk in a shop seems around 8-10k, as far as bar work, there's girls doing over 7 st a day, ( thats from managers)

No need to get snarky. I was making an observation. Didn't see any rules that say I can't observe and comment. 

But here you are, my input, and much more than nothing pal. 

Worker in tire manufacturing plant, 20,000 a month. 

Accounting position in government hospital, 12,000 a month. 

Accounting position in hotel, 20,000 month (long hours, dedicated worker). 

Thai massage therapist in upscale hotel, 15,000 to 25,000 depending on season. 

Textile factory worker, 300 to 500 per day. 

Milk sales/delivery (on scooter) girl, 15000 to 20000 month. 

7-11 supervisor (of 6 stores), 22,000 a month. 

Okay, good enough or do you want more to take me off your "nothing" list?

Can you give us a few more than your measley 2 guesses?

Have a great day. 

This is just what I can verify;  freelance massage lady ( massage only ) 135 bht/hr, at the moment averaging 3-4 hrs a day, high season 7-8 hrs a day 

Boss lady of Spa who organises staff , 600 bht a day for 13 hr day 30 days a month.

Bellhop at local resort on 300 a day about 20+days per month, low season.

Competent builders/ carpenters working 6 days a week 400 a day with the odd bonus thrown in.

I also read somewhere that Toyota was going to pay its line workers 480 a day, I don't know if it has happened yet.

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, and maybe even more. You have to remember, the girls have the "marvelous product," you know, the one you have, and when you sell it, you still have it. And the smart girls figure out how to best use it.

I know a good looking Thai lady who now owns two resorts on holiday islands, a speedboat, a luxury car and has a grand house on the mainland--all acquired through proper use of her marvelous product.  She is now in her late 30's does not have a steady man, but plays the young farangs like a drunken sailor on holiday. She spends money like an expat and always seems to have an entourage of hangarounds continually sucking off her.

Never underestimate what a smart girl with that amazing marvelous product can do.  There seems  to be an endless supply of dumb farangs to finance them.

The programmer in my company earns 21,000 per month, but she is a freshie and will easily move up from there.

The sales girl gets a base salary of 10,000, but with commissions does up to 30,000 months. Average 20k+

A friend who works in a call center earns 10,000 per month.

Graphic designer with 10 years experience and skill earns 45,000.

Girls in Nana, typically a 10-12,000 base salary. Most were averaging between 20,000 to 30,000 per month.

One girl who worked at the "massage" place was making 60,000 to 80,000 per month, easy.

100,000+ is rare, but they do exist. Need to be a stunner, smart, disciplined, and in the right venue.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Very rare I would think. Definitely not easy.

What does the OP mean by a "bar girl" . A girl at a bar beer makes small money. A girl at an a go-go might have a monthly salary of 10,000 - 14,000 per month. Plus whatever additional she can earn. Some guys throw out crazy numbers. Some girls might hit it once in a while but most girls don't make much. But it still is decent money if you have no other prospects.

Some of the girls in the go-gos in Pattaya have the chance to do 10 days on 10 days (or up to her) off. But have to sell a certain number of drinks to be able to take time  off. It is a boring, stressful, tiring life. They girls get worn out and often their personality changes and they become hard. They often have to deal with jerks. A hot girl I know wanted to take time off to be w her kid. She was lucky to have an English guy buy her 6 drinks and another bought her 4. She got to take time off. Normally they get about 2 days off a month. This does not coincide with their periods.

A friend of mine who has a masters degree and works for the government in research makes 8,000 a month. But has some perks. No perks for bar girls. No health care or retirement. They are necessarily freelancers or the bar would be involved in prostitution which is illegal. Some bar girls have degrees (not from top unis as their family is poor) but found they make very small money in a regular job.

I am friends with several girls whose fathers are in bad shape and they try to pay for better hospital care for him. No, they do not ask me for money. These are real people trying to do the best they can. Wereas a government worker might get free health care for their family.  Although a friend who works for the BoT had to pay for the quality health care her dying mother received. 

Look at the number of bar girls who are now farang's wives and have houses, cars, liquid assets and other possessions including family support, housing, transportation and medical care. 

2 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Well now, in a local girlie bar where sexpats drink Chang, never buy ladies drinks and want a short-time for B500, you may be right. However, there are many upper-class and Jap/Kor bars where a girl can make >B5k a short time and B300-B500 a drink. A good looking massage girl in Danok can get three or four customers a day; more if she works O/T.  And don't forget those who hit the jackpot and find a farang to marry.

get your head out of the sand 

bar girls being exploited :clap2:

its their chosen career path,   where else would they make 40-50k a month with various suckers sending monthly payments

many many bar girls tell me they love their job, they have fun, they have companionship with their female friends,  they get drunk when they want to free,  they have suckers taking them on holidays, they have idiots buying them new phones, clothes.............

c,mon ? 

High School teacher: 20k

University Teacher: 30k up depending on university

Nurse: 15k up depending on specialty. Free room in dorm.

Clerk : 20k

7/11: 7k to 9k

BigC: 7k to 11k depending on shifts

Hotel Clerk: 15k

Restaurant Chain Server: 12k

All prices per month. Varies from region (Phuket pays more). Some jobs have perks such as free food and room.

Source of info is GF who has friends in each of these jobs.

NOTE:  teachers earn a lot more with over time or private tutoring or weekend teaching. Easily double up. And of course with good university and distinctions will get paid more

35 minutes ago, timendres said:

The programmer in my company earns 21,000 per month, but she is a freshie and will easily move up from there.

The sales girl gets a base salary of 10,000, but with commissions does up to 30,000 months. Average 20k+

A friend who works in a call center earns 10,000 per month.

Graphic designer with 10 years experience and skill earns 45,000.

Girls in Nana, typically a 10-12,000 base salary. Most were averaging between 20,000 to 30,000 per month.

One girl who worked at the "massage" place was making 60,000 to 80,000 per month, easy.

100,000+ is rare, but they do exist. Need to be a stunner, smart, disciplined, and in the right venue.

massage girl named " superstar " makes 100k a  month easilly ,  she is the talk of soi honey in pattaya.  

first massage shop on left as you walk from soi buakhao

Archived