Advice sought on medical insurance and personal accident plans

andyr45

Just found this in regards to a question I raised with Pacific Cross: "we actually have lifelong renewals as long as you are insured with us before the age of 75, and so renewals will never be denied."

To make it affordable and you have sufficient savings go big on your excess, drop OPD and only pay 30% of the premium.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Caiman said:

Contemplating http://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/ for medical insurance. Range of plans with variable deductibles and excesses. Covers most big hospitals in Thailand with direct pay subject to any excess (40K = 25% discount up to 300K = 50%). I'm under 60 but the problem I see for many is getting your first initial cover after 65 which is the age that many retire and relocate to Thailand. Also seems that specific Thai insurance companies just drop you when you reach a certain age.

When I was getting quotes last year, though I was 66, I got at least 6 or 8 quotes. Wasn't a problem at all. I ended up buying from MSH and they say that my second year premiums will be lower. We'll see.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:11 PM, Kwasaki said:

The one l had mentioned about alcohol levels found in the blood on admittance to hospital could annul payment or affect full payment to the hospital.

Seeing as l like a couple beers found that a bit unsettling making me wonder what other get out clauses there are.

Sounds more like accident than health insurance.

12 hours ago, Caiman said:

Contemplating http://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/ for medical insurance. Range of plans with variable deductibles and excesses. Covers most big hospitals in Thailand with direct pay subject to any excess (40K = 25% discount up to 300K = 50%). I'm under 60 but the problem I see for many is getting your first initial cover after 65 which is the age that many retire and relocate to Thailand. Also seems that specific Thai insurance companies just drop you when you reach a certain age.

What is there phone number ? Any offices in the north?

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

Sounds more like accident than health insurance.

I was in the hospital in June and they did all kinds of tests trying to figure out what was wrong. I looked at the blood work results. There must have been 20 some things measured and none of them were alcohol.

20 hours ago, Dan5 said:

I was in the hospital in June and they did all kinds of tests trying to figure out what was wrong. I looked at the blood work results. There must have been 20 some things measured and none of them were alcohol.

And that sounds like health insurance.

4 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

My health insurance has a clause that says it won't cover any illness that is the result of drinking.

So basicaly your cover is worthless if you have  drink then have an accident

34 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So basicaly your cover is worthless if you have  drink then have an accident

Probably not. It says an illness that is the result of alcohol use/abuse. And like I said above. I was admitted to the hospital and got extensive array of blood results because they didn't know what was wrong with me and none of the tests were for alcohol. Seems like hospitals or  at least my hospital don't routinely check for alcohol. So unless  drunk driving was suspected as the cause of the accident, I don't think it would be  a problem. But if it was, you might have a problem collecting from any insurance policy. I think some people are over doing it about drinking and going to the hospital. Don't think it really matters if you have couple drinks before going to the hospital. Drinking isn't a moral issue in Thailand like it is in the USA.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:13 PM, Wake Up said:

Get a quote from Cigna Global online. 1200 USA dollars a year for 57 year old man with 1,000,000 of USA dollar coverage 

$3,180 dollars a year for a 61 year old man with $837,000 of coverage that excludes the USA.

They called me up after the online quote and I told them that I was only interested in country-specific coverage, i.e. Thailand and didn't think I would ever need $837,000 worth of coverage a year. They told me they were currently working on something along those lines and would get back to me within a few days.

I'm still waiting for the call.

Archived