Rabies outbreak in downtown Hua Hin - authorities cordon off area

webfact

Wiki said only 6 people lived after symptoms appeared and they lived after using the Milwaukee  protocol treatment. Basically a month induced coma.  

I guess this got deleted the first time since I didn't include the link.    Or I also tossed in a question about if earth and man had a creator would he create rabies.   

Read the hydrophobia section.   Increased saliva production and inability to drink or swallow helps spread the virus.  It's like some mad scientist invented this in his lab. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies

soy dogs are more than people who live at the same soy.

What do you expect ❓most of those dogs are suffering skin diseases and other health problems. But government has no control on the population. 

Less dogs , more care.

I'm wondering,SOI dogs, rabies, bombs, heads kicked in, long lines at the airport, air pollution, trash, undrinkable water, sewer in the ocean, #2 in road deaths, gold ripped off your neck, murders in prison, Skywalker fails,  why do we visit LOS?

My vet in Rayong tells me that it's also a problem with the family pet. Dog lays around all day. Never goes off the property. Never around other dogs. But dog gets bit by a rat. 

This happened with a golden retriever. The dog wasn't vaccinated or hadn't got the yearly shots. Bit all five members of the family. They all got rabies. 

On 8/8/2017 at 3:46 AM, natway09 said:

A controlled culling is called for. Some of the temple & Soi dogs are a danger to society in general & must be controlled

It will never happen here as religious teachings are more important than public health (unfortunately).

I do not consider myself an " ignorant jerk" & have been involved in the front line of deer culling in the past.

Did you know that Temple dogs are more likely to be vaccinated than other dogs?

A deer "cull" has no similarity to that of  domestic dog  killing. The deer population is thinned because man has killed the natural predators of the  deer. The  proven effective means of controlling soi dog populations is to spay and neuter.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:20 AM, Orton Rd said:

Not so easy as idiot do gooders stick collars on strays so they will not be carted off, there is only one cure for 4 million strays and that's killing them and burning the bodies. Offering a bounty of a few baht for every soi dog corpse brought in would soon get over any Buddhist morals. 

Let's start with the disease carriers who present a far greater health risk to the population at large. If we identify the carriers of bacteria resistant infections, especially the disgusting STIs and TB, we can save  thousands of lives every year and   hundreds of millions of baht. To this I would add carriers of Hepatitis, HIV, and some of the deadly fungus strains. If we rounded up all these carriers, they would number in the thousands and your crematorium would be working 24/7, 365 days a year.  There would  be no dogs  in that group since dogs  don't carry and transmit these diseases to humans.  Perhaps we can have compulsory screening of all people. I am sure we could identify 1 million+ in the first year.

On 09/08/2017 at 2:21 AM, Mooner said:

Been ripped off. How would a average Thai afford to pay 19000? 

Google quotes around 400 baht.

How much does rabies vaccine cost?

Rabies vaccine and immunoglobulin is very expensive. A typical vaccination series with the rabies immunoglobulin can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $7,000+ per person. 

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Let's start with the disease carriers who present a far greater health risk to the population at large. If we identify the carriers of bacteria resistant infections, especially the disgusting STIs and TB, we can save  thousands of lives every year and   hundreds of millions of baht. To this I would add carriers of Hepatitis, HIV, and some of the deadly fungus strains. If we rounded up all these carriers, they would number in the thousands and your crematorium would be working 24/7, 365 days a year.  There would  be no dogs  in that group since dogs  don't carry and transmit these diseases to humans.  Perhaps we can have compulsory screening of all people. I am sure we could identify 1 million+ in the first year.

Bacteria?, Deadly Fungus?  I didn't see this on THAT website it brochures.  I'm not sure I want to know the details as I'm a admitted germaphobe

Why can't people face the facts ..... this problem is out of control in every Thai Village.

The safest, quickest and most effective way is to eradicate every soi dog.

Only then can the kids and elderly walk safely in their own streets.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Why can't people face the facts ..... this problem is out of control in every Thai Village.

The safest, quickest and most effective way is to eradicate every soi dog.

Only then can the kids and elderly walk safely in their own streets.

Pure ignorance. This is not how rabies is controlled. Your strategy ignores the fundamentals of epidemiology. For any epidemic  there must be a reservoir, a vector and a vulnerable population.

Your strategy is  a guaranteed failure. Obviously, you don't want to hear that. You want a simple solution. Quick fix solutions do not work with  rabies.

Vaccination is the only way to prevent and control an infectious disease like this.

There will always be a reservoir unless there is vaccination of both domestic and  wild animals. This means  baiting all areas within 200 Km of Hua Hin. Animals migrate from zones. Just as avian flu spreads, so too will rabies.

If you eliminate the  dogs and cats,  Hua Hin will be over run by rodents. Rodents can carry rabies along with other lethal diseases.  Your solution then would be to  kill all the rodents, but that is impossible without killing every  living animal in a zone. It would also result in hundreds if not thousands of poisonings as the poison found itself into the water and food of residents.

Your strategy is not sustainable. It is irresponsible and has never ever worked.

As has been stated, there must be an end to the open garbage dumps and raw food waste dumped about. This is what keeps the  rodent  population going. The rodents are the primary rabies reservoir in Thailand. Spaying and neutering and an end  to the puppy mills and  abandoning of animals through law enforcement and education will support  a long term solution.

The rabid dogs are an indication that the  rodent population is out of control. The rabid dogs are a warning.  If there is rabies, there are rodent borne diseases in Hua Hin.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The rabid dogs are an indication that the  rodent population is out of control. The rabid dogs are a warning.  If there is rabies, there are rodent borne diseases in Hua Hin.

Kill the rats as well as the dogs, as many as possible.

Do dogs get off their butt and catch rats?   They don't look to motivated or act like hunters to me.  

That may be good and scientific to not kill the dogs but spay and neuter them.   But if that is done 100% wouldn't that mean all dogs would be gone in a typical dogs lifetime? 13 years?

Did you know that Temple dogs are more likely to be vaccinated than other dogs?
A deer "cull" has no similarity to that of  domestic dog  killing. The deer population is thinned because man has killed the natural predators of the  deer. The  proven effective means of controlling soi dog populations is to spay and neuter.

OK, let's see that "proof" please. WHO DOES this spaying and neutering of soi dogs? Who WOULD do it?? And you'd spay and neuter, and THEN what? How can something that never happens possibly be "effective"?

Round them up and euthanize them. Go about it as gently and painlessly as possible, but that's actually the compassionate solution. But of course that isn't culturally acceptable . I guess having to submit your child to a painful rabies treatment (and leave them at risk of worse) must somehow be more acceptable.

22 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

OK, let's see that "proof" please. WHO DOES this spaying and neutering of soi dogs? Who WOULD do it?? And you'd spay and neuter, and THEN what? How can something that never happens possibly be "effective"?

Round them up and euthanize them. Go about it as gently and painlessly as possible, but that's actually the compassionate solution. But of course that isn't culturally acceptable . I guess having to submit your child to a painful rabies treatment (and leave them at risk of worse) must somehow be more acceptable.

a box of bullets is not very expensive ....  even in Thailand.

This problem is not just Hua Hin its everywhere in Thailand, another subject that no one wants to tackle until its some VIP that cops it then there will be a short term crackdown until the powers that be can settle back down to an easy life and ignore it until the next time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 0:31 PM, johng said:

Any dog or cat (bear,tiger,elephant,crocodile,snake etc etc ) that is wandering around in an urban area without owner should be rounded up and sent to the pound..if after 2 months the owner or a new owner is not found then they should be humanely
"put to sleep"
At the same time owners should be required to take proper care of their animals...that includes health care and not letting them be a nuisance to the community.

Does this Include sex tourists.

Does this Include sex tourists.

Dont know if sex tourists have owners...but if they where going around causing noise,accidents,defecating on the street and biting poeple they would be quickly rounded up maybe locked up and fined...not given a doggy treat , pat on the head and left to carry on causing mayhem.

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Rabies in this day and age only in the 3rd world, lets hope it says there

Rabies is quite prevalent in North America.There is a reservoir in the wild. It does not  easily spread into the domesticated animal or human population because of vaccination programs.

On 8/11/2017 at 8:29 PM, hawker9000 said:

The proof is readily available if you were not so lazy. You can check with your homeland  MoH or WHO.

I appreciate that many people who have the most extreme of views come from marginal backgrounds and an internet forum allows them to adopt a persona far above their actual station in life created by their limited education, laziness and low social status. Sadly,  engaging in displaced aggression against homeless dogs speaks to their ignorance and  explains why they were repeatedly left out of decision making roles in society and why they  are themselves treated like crap by  society.

For reference sake, the common approach agreed upon by those who make the decisions in society is as follows;

Past rabies elimination strategies included the reduction of population density through culling, based on the rationale that rabies transmission is density-dependent with disease density increasing proportional to host density. However studies have shown that culling is an ineffective means of elimination and mass vaccination is most efficacious to reduce disease incidence in all species. The Bangladesh canine rabies elimination program focuses primarily on dog bite management and mass dog vaccination to reduce the incidence of human deaths. Since 2011, dog vaccines have been administered in 58 of the 64 districts, combined with local capacity building and knowledge transfer, resulting in a 50% decrease in human rabies deaths, demonstrating the effectiveness of mass vaccination. WHO 2016 statement

This is the summary of public rabies prevention as decided upon by contributing public health agencies that included USA, Japan, EU, Australia, Canada New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and others.  Apparently they are all wrong, while you with your non existent knowledge of epidemiology and infectious disease management  have all the answers.

http://www.who.int/rabies/control/Poster_Global_framework_for_the_elimination_of_dog-mediated_human_rabies.pdf?ua=1

17 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The proof is readily available if you were not so lazy. You can check with your homeland  MoH or WHO.

I appreciate that many people who have the most extreme of views come from marginal backgrounds and an internet forum allows them to adopt a persona far above their actual station in life created by their limited education, laziness and low social status. Sadly,  engaging in displaced aggression against homeless dogs speaks to their ignorance and  explains why they were repeatedly left out of decision making roles in society and why they  are themselves treated like crap by  society.

For reference sake, the common approach agreed upon by those who make the decisions in society is as follows;

Past rabies elimination strategies included the reduction of population density through culling, based on the rationale that rabies transmission is density-dependent with disease density increasing proportional to host density. However studies have shown that culling is an ineffective means of elimination and mass vaccination is most efficacious to reduce disease incidence in all species. The Bangladesh canine rabies elimination program focuses primarily on dog bite management and mass dog vaccination to reduce the incidence of human deaths. Since 2011, dog vaccines have been administered in 58 of the 64 districts, combined with local capacity building and knowledge transfer, resulting in a 50% decrease in human rabies deaths, demonstrating the effectiveness of mass vaccination. WHO 2016 statement

This is the summary of public rabies prevention as decided upon by contributing public health agencies that included USA, Japan, EU, Australia, Canada New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and others.  Apparently they are all wrong, while you with your non existent knowledge of epidemiology and infectious disease management  have all the answers.

http://www.who.int/rabies/control/Poster_Global_framework_for_the_elimination_of_dog-mediated_human_rabies.pdf?ua=1

Vaccinations also should be done every 3 years, not annually like the Thai officials do. Each area is given x amounts of vaccines, they try and round up every dog they can and call out for locals to bring the dog to be vaccinated. Say they are given 200 vaccines, but there are 600 dogs. Generally what happens is they vaccinate the same 200 dogs every year, as they are the easiest to find. Which is completely useless as the old vaccine blocks the new one. Need to have something like a tattoo process or even an ear tagging process to tell the officials which dogs have been immunised already. Then over the 3 years they will be able to vaccinate 3 times as many dogs - hopefully leading to some sort of herd immunity. 

Archived