Wife opening a food stall in Nakhon Phanom.

freethinker

Many many tricks of the trade mean the uninitiated go under, the restaurant business is not cooking at home for a family. Try helpi g out a friend for a while to learn the trade.

Don't bother unless you have something that distinguishes. Whatever it is, it will be copied within months. Hence need to constantly think of new things to keep ahead.

It is survival money only if you are successful, most fail in a year. To survive you might find yourself having to do things that disagree with you.

Could it be that your wife lacks a skill she could pick up in a year's study that would render something more stable, interesting and profitable long-term?

As a holding operation it will produce very valuable experience and a nice extension. Not sure you evident compassion will really work out long term. Verdict: consider this a first step.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, freethinker said:

Thanks for your reply. 

I suppose I'm just being cynical after having read thread after thread about failing farang funded businesses. 

Buying second hand is probably a good idea. I will shop around next time I'm up there and see how much money she will actually need. If she asks me for 100k she can probably make due with half of it if she forgoes making it "beautiful". 

In any case I can live with losing the money as much of it will go to actually improving the house and buying utilities so worst case scenario she gets some new stuff. Hell I spent almost twice that buying a new TV and sound bar for my self last month :D 

I don't usually get involved with these posts, but I have to admit, what your wife is proposing sounds good, is reasonably priced, (in my opinion), and she has compiled a list of extra equipment, target customers, a place to prepare, etc., (thinking ahead) and you appear to support her initiative.

I would think that combining your own input into this venture, (she is already successful in what she does, but limited in space, etc.), your contribution is about two thousand UK pounds. 

If you can afford that money, are prepared to 'write it off' if it all goes to rats, then I personally think you have an opportunity to show your wife you care, are interested in her future, agreeable to her aspirations and may be the one thing that binds you both much closer together.

Me? I would do that for my partner.

good luck

On 8/31/2017 at 3:42 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

My take on this is 100,000 B is about half what you will need, especially if she needs to buy inventory - here are my points (I have 'assisted' several Thai girls in starting small businesses in their home towns)

• Fund 100K to upgrade your house, keep 100K in reserve
  • Have her keep a list of what she spends on inventory, electricity, water, gas and another column for profit............make her keep it up to date - this way she can see if she is really making a profit - most small Thai business are hand to mouth, what they make today is what they use to live on, and buy inventory - so don't even know if they are winning or losing.  "Look Honey, I made 2,000 baht today, but the bills were 3500."
  • I don't agree with 2d hand, shiesters here want as much as new most times, you can find non-commercial stuff cheap enough. 
  • If she is a good cook already - convince her to provide something no one else is doing as a test to her regulars - I eat at a small place  on Jomtien Beach road, always packed, they do roast chicken, roast pork, Lap, Somtom, and a few seafood 'soups'  -  that's all - and it is always packed at lunch.  I go at 1130 to beat the crowd.
  • ensure you have enough group seating, nothing frustrates customers more than having to wait to eat lunch, Thais don't mind sharing tables with each other even as strangers.
  • I wish her luck, some 'mom & pop' places have turned into good entities, they have certainly made money off me  :thumbsup:

I will respond to the second hand remark since I believe it was reference to me?  Not sure about upcountry but here in Pattaya, I think I can safely say I've been to every second hand restaurant or second hand facility store, auction like Collinborne etc.

What I do in my spare time to just go around and look, I spent a number of years visiting stores who sell new like the one across the Soi from Tony's on 3rd roll so I know the prices for new! 

Maybe it is a Farang due pricing but I'm not white and it takes a moment for them to figure it out but once they do, same response, if I really want something I talk Thai to them and try to chew them down as much as possible. Majority of the time I smile and walk away. Recently I wanted a stainless steel large sink on 4 legs, new it runs around 10,000 baht, I saw the exact one second hand ask the guy 9000 baht, I laugh and smile just walk. I came back a few months later still there look older ask again, this time a lady she said 7000 baht, told her now it has been here for a few months, do you want to sell it and get your money back, it was basically a stare down, moments later she blur out 4,000 baht. 

The problem if you don't know what you are doing in a hurry, it won't be cheap!

I don't doubt my wife's work ethic or good intentions however I have no idea what kind of profits a small restaurant/food stall can even generate. I realize I will never get my seed money back however if she can become self sustaining i would call it a victory.

"Self Sustaining" in a way that money is still coming from you, then okay.

100 K will get you a lot of decent stuff, ask those who had to shut down their businesses for understandable reasons and buy it second hand.

I'm slightly worried that the locals will see a farang funded food stall as a "free lunch" and will try to get out of paying and expecting free meals. I also have no idea how much money the villagers have or how large the potential customer base is. The good news is that her house is very close to a large government office and she claims most of her customers come from there. 

Tell her that she won't do eat now and pay later/never. Once they've tried it a few times they'll give up on her.

My main concern is local free loaders who "borrow" food or will "pay later" as I don't know how "jai dee" my wife is when it comes to dealing with the villagers. 

Have a long chat with your wife about your idea(s) how such a shop should run. Once you've got the government employees coming from Monday to Friday, there's a chance to actually make money.

Good luck with your new business. 

On 2017-08-31 at 5:55 PM, Ulic said:

As the new/upgraded restaurant is up and running now on a 20k baht

budget I am just wondering how your wife is doing now ?

Here's whats happened since:

She now rents one of those Thai 'Tiki huts' basically just a roof with chairs and tables under (I'm sure you guys know what I mean as they are all over the place) in a location closer to the government building so we put the house adjacent restaurant idea on hold for now to see how it will work out. 

My wife is currently employing her sister (who has experience in the business and to help with cooking) which eats away some profits. She doesn't take any salary herself at the moment and want to wait to the end of month to assess the situation.

She thinks she will be able to show a net profit for herself at the end of the month but she doesn't seem to have worked out exactly how much (if any) profit she will make after deducting the cost of raw materials and gas etc over a months period. 

I'm willing to finance the purchase of more inventory and raw material for a while longer if needed but if the business fails to become self sustaining we will talk about it. 

Anyway she seems happy with it and it gives her something to do (even though she complains about the rain and heat every day) and she's out there every day working so time will tell. 

Good for her she has get up and go. And good for you standing by her and helping her on the first rung of that ladder.

The doubters out there of which there are many will never see a positive in helping your wife/girlfriend getting started.

100k will buy an awful lot of things.

Without going into great detail i gave my wife (gave as i wanted to was not asked).

50k to get her buisness started. She now runs 3 very successful online buisnesses and a beauty salon on site at our house.

The salon was built by me and her brother 

Total cost with his money factored in all equipment needed was 40k its nothing fancy a 5m by 5m room two windows and door. With a toilet shower room attached to it.

All electric done by brother qualified Thai electrician. 

I paid for that in the form of a loan so in total 90k with the 50k i gave her.

She paid the 40k back in 4months

She wanted to pay it back in 2 i stopped her

So she had money for stock.

She now averages over 100k a month with a profit of about 40k which half of which she ploughs back in to the stock for her online buisnesses. So it does work and 90k initial outlay 50k after pay back is nothing.

Yes two other salons opened up within 1 month her  physical through the door customer base obviously varies month to month. But with the online buisnesses she easily rode out the opening of the other salons which by the way have now closed.

She employs one of the closed shops lady now on a part time basis. 

39 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Good for her she has get up and go. And good for you standing by her and helping her on the first rung of that ladder.

The doubters out there of which there are many will never see a positive in helping your wife/girlfriend getting started.

Without going into great detail i gave my wife (gave as i wanted to was not asked).

50k to get her buisness started. She now runs 3 very successful online buisnesses and a beauty salon on site at our house.

Total cost with his money factored in all equipment needed was 40k its nothing fancy a 5m by 5m room two windows and door. With a toilet shower room attached to it.

She now averages over 100k a month with a profit of about 40k which half of which she ploughs back in to the stock for her online buisnesses. So it does work and 90k initial outlay 50k after pay back is nothing.

Yes two other salons opened up within 1 month her  physical through the door customer base obviously varies month to month. But with the online buisnesses she easily rode out the opening of the other salons which by the way have now closed.

I applaud you sir I wish there were more like you in Thailand. one point though what was your reason for not allowing her to pay you back. 

Great positive story. Dispels the many negative stories about Thai women and their families.

Well done to you and her. Shows what trust and working together can achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, oldgent said:

I applaud you sir I wish there were more like you in Thailand. one point though what was your reason for not allowing her to pay you back. 

She did as i explained shevwanted to pay it back in two months.. reason i said no was she would need the extra 10k pm for stock and other overheads. So she paid me back in 4 months 10k a month

Archived