Aus Tourist Visa

My GF is currently in Aus on a tourist visa. She arrived with a 3 month visa that we had extended for a further 3 months in Aus, but that had an 8503 (no further stay) condition placed on it. That visa will expire soon.

My question is, when she returns to Thailand would any questions be asked if she immediately applies for a new tourist visa? What are the odds of a 6mth multiple entry visa? What do other guys do to rack up 12months together before applying for a spouse visa?

My GF is currently in Aus on a tourist visa. She arrived with a 3 month visa that we had extended for a further 3 months in Aus, but that had an 8503 (no further stay) condition placed on it. That visa will expire soon.

My question is, when she returns to Thailand would any questions be asked if she immediately applies for a new tourist visa? What are the odds of a 6mth multiple entry visa? What do other guys do to rack up 12months together before applying for a spouse visa?

If an 8503 was put on your gf latest Visa, i am not sure how this will affect a new application.

The only thing to do is to apply and see what will happen.

While she is in Australia, go to the offices of immigration in your location, explanin the circumstances and ask the question.

Sometimes you will get a decent immigration officer that will take the time to explain things to you.

If you do immediately reapply, try to back up the application with as much documentation as you can muster.

As you have already been through this process, you know what is needed.

Show that she has complied with the Visa conditions on her original Visas. This does hold some weight.

Back this up with photos, emails, phone records ect.

She will need to show that she has a reason to return to LOS, and is not just trying to live in Aust. on tourist Visas.

Without knowing the lenght of your relationship and other circumstances. it is difficult to give you specific advice.

You may find that it is necessary for her to stay in LOS for a while before re applying.

My gf spent the first 15 months of our relationship in Thailand, and i visited as often as i could (about 10 times).

After this she was issued with a 12 month multi entry tourist visa for Aus.

Hope some of this helps...

She will need to show that she has a reason to return to LOS, and is not just trying to live in Aust. on tourist Visas.

That is my concern. When we were given an extension here it was touch and go whether it would be granted, the compromise was an 8503 condition. We will play up the 'complied with previous conditions' angle in the new application too.

Does anyone else have an experience to share?

Interestingly when applying in Aus we supplied all the same info as when applying in BKK (phone records, emails, photos etc) and this was what made them reluctant to give an extension. If I had only provided a simple letter of support and bank statement to back it up we could have probably gotten any visa we wanted.

You must have had some extenuating circumstances for the grant of an extension on the first visa...did it have the 8053 condition on it.

You wont get a further extension now unless there are extenuating circumstances and even then I would imagine it would be hard.

She can reapply as soon as she gets back...on the application tick the 12 month box....they may give her a 12 month multi entry visa. There is no 6 month multi entry visa and 6 month straight visas ? I havent heard of any being given out recently. I would suggest that she would get a 12 month ME visa without too much hassle, they seem to be the flavour of the moment with the Embassy...it has cleared up a lot of their workload.

I take it you are looking at getting a spouse visa on defacto basis....if you look at the Immi Website then you will find the conditions on this and how long you need to have actually lived together before you can apply on defacto grounds. If you go into the booklet section you will find a download for Booklet One Partner Migration, you need Adobe to read it. Alternatively just follow the migration links and you will find some info as well.

This is the link to the Partner Migration booklet...

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Edited by gburns57au

It is not unusual for the Embassy to issue three tourist visas before they strongly suggest that you will need a Spouse Visa if any more visits to Oz are required.

It has been the case in the past that the Embassy won't issue a second tourist visa in the same calendar year, but this is not a documented rule but possibly used as an excuse by the Embassy for doubtful cases.

I'm rather surprised that an extension was granted on your first TV. You must have impressed someone.

The advice given by Aussietraveller is sound. Make some enquiries in Oz and make some more in Thailand, either personally or by email, before submitting another TV application.

If you can give them a good reason for requiring another TV so soon, I don't think you'll have a problem.

A detailed covering letter from you would help.

With regard to providing a reason for her to return to Thailand, this will need to be done but as she has (or will) complied with all conditions re her first and extended visa, she has demonstrated that she is trustworthy.

If you believe that this relationship has a rosey future, I suggest that you start gathering evidence now to support a subsequent Spouse Visa application.

You'll find plenty of information on this subject in past threads throughout this forum.

Thanks guys, we will give it a go in BKK. No point in doing anything locally due to the 8503.

The extension in Aus wasn't too hard, we just said she wanted to stay and have an Australian christmas/new year.

We have already read all about the spouse visa and have a running file of what we will need.

my gf was just granted a 12month multiple entry visa. Her application letter stated she was to visit for a 2week holiday with a letter from her employer stating she was due back to work in 2weeks.

so i reckon you'll be right.. i put forward the strongest application possible, with A LOT more information then would be required, so just flood them with evidence and i'm sure you'll be right mate..

if only there was 12month TS visas (so you could go for a spouse after) instead of wasting money on re-entry flights and having to be apart during that 12months... oh well :o

Edited by smacko

One more question.

My GF will have spent 6 months in Aus when she returns and will be unemployed, having lost her job due to the time spent here (previously she worked as a receptionist at a restaurant). This would technically weaken the 'reason to return' case. Would compliance with her previous visa conditions outweigh this?

It's a bit nerve wracking thinking a decision that will affect the rest of your life hangs on the decision of someone based on their gut feel for the application.

One more question.

My GF will have spent 6 months in Aus when she returns and will be unemployed, having lost her job due to the time spent here (previously she worked as a receptionist at a restaurant). This would technically weaken the 'reason to return' case. Would compliance with her previous visa conditions outweigh this?

It's a bit nerve wracking thinking a decision that will affect the rest of your life hangs on the decision of someone based on their gut feel for the application.

If you are sponsoring her then it should not be a problem....you will need to provide evidence of your income for this and be listed on the form as a funds provider.

Her previous compliance will be taken into account but so will the extension.

If you are sponsoring her then it should not be a problem....you will need to provide evidence of your income for this and be listed on the form as a funds provider.

Thanks. I will be sponsoring her and will have all the required evidence for this, including photos of the house she will be staying and proof of ownership of the house.

I figure if they approve the application they will consider the previous extension and add the 8503 (no further stay) condition to any visa they grant, no big deal really.

Thanks. I will be sponsoring her and will have all the required evidence for this, including photos of the house she will be staying and proof of ownership of the house.

I figure if they approve the application they will consider the previous extension and add the 8503 (no further stay) condition to any visa they grant, no big deal really.

The 12 month ME has no 8053 clause..... :o