wanting to learn basic south words

obagz88

yeh, someone just pointed that out to me in the other thread!

Yes they have seed grown and grafted, I didn’t ask the price but should go down from last year. ‘Ngan Dern Sip’ Sep20-oct 20? the annual fair at ‘Toong Talat’ here (nst zoo) will have.

I picked up grafted one for 450 last year and doing good at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, surfdog said:

yeh, someone just pointed that out to me in the other thread!

Yes they have seed grown and grafted, I didn’t ask the price but should go down from last year. ‘Ngan Dern Sip’ Sep20-oct 20? the annual fair at ‘Toong Talat’ here (nst zoo) will have.

I picked up grafted one for 450 last year and doing good at my house.

Thanks for that. Will try to get up there. I have a friend in Pak Panang who can get them from Pattaya by EMS and one of his is nine feet high already..but there is something about sending living organisms through the mail that doesn't sit well with me...

• 1 month later...

Reminded of this one the other day, definitely our region.   'kot' which works just like the English "very" as far as syntax, it precedes the adjective.  Which is strange that syntax would change as well, but it it can not follow the adjective like 'mak, mak mak, mak hmai'

'kot nao' - very cold - nao mak mak

'kot rawn' - very hot - rawn mak mak

I'm guessing it may be spelled 'คต', but unsure at this time.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:22 AM, surfdog said:

Reminded of this one the other day, definitely our region.   'kot' which works just like the English "very" as far as syntax, it precedes the adjective.  Which is strange that syntax would change as well, but it it can not follow the adjective like 'mak, mak mak, mak hmai'

I am pretty sure that's one of the words spilling out of my mo-in-law all the time, so will keep my ears perked up to try and catch it in action. Thanks once again.

• Like 1

I don't know about the syntax, but I believe it's spelled โคตร.
  • Like 1

that’s cool example because shows subject and verb deletion, technically only think subject deletion is allowed, was the most difficult part of learning Thai for me I think.

• Like 1

also ยังที yung tee
in which the negative verb is deleted
full example of one that can be sortened to this: ยังไม่ได้ทำที yung mai dai tum tee
“I didn’t do it yet”
you can just shorten to “yung tee ยังที”

This can work with any verb but it has to be negated with somethimg similar to past perfect tense in Thai -mai dai + verb, also important can only be an answer to a question.

examples:
กรุงชิงไปยัง
—-ยังที (ยังไม่ได้ไป)

การบ้านทำยัง
—-ยังที (ยังไม่ได้ทำ)

• 4 weeks later...

'haa roey!' (ฮาโรย) is an old Southern  interjection of excited exasperation similar in meaning to 'Jeez', 'Just do It' or 'Get on With it'...this came out of my wife's mouth as she was playing Snakes&Ladders with a bunch of 7-year-olds...Also, that game in Thai is called 'bandai-ngoo' (ladder-snake for the literally)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, nrasmussen said:

I don't know about the syntax, but I believe it's spelled โคตร.

Surely not and 'kot' written by the op is simply the abbreviation of weather (ah-gaht) อากาศ .

• 3 weeks later...

The word for tailbone is different in Southern Thai.

Central Thai =kraduk kon kop [กระดูกก้นกบล]  literally 'frog's add bone'

Southern Thai 'moong'

Now you know...

• 5 months later...

wow just found a treasure of words I think havn't mentioned yet here https://www.sanook.com/campus/1390689/ while looking for a spelling of "kot" (very)

As always will only mention the ones I've heard before, many on the list already mentioned.

หึงสา - heung sa - jealous, I'm apt to say "sa" is only a particle because have heard "heung" without it used as a verb. As a standalone phrase with "sa" it is like "jealous! right!?"

ไซร์ - sai - why, mentioned aready but not this spelling, interesting use of garan.

ภาษาใต้ : หลบ, หล็อบ (หล๊อบ)
หมายความว่า : กลับ - return - mentioned before?

ภาษาใต้ : ทั้งเพ
หมายความว่า : ทั้งหมด ทั้งสิ้น - all, mentioned before? I almost hear "tung paeng" more then "tung pae"

เมล่อ, เบล่อ - this website says... however I hear เม่อร์ and เบ่อร์ sometimes followed with adjective "ขาด" - mer kaad, to pronounce it id very long sounding like - hmeerr- used to describe someone stupid, stubborn, foolish, in website they translate as "nonsensical" guess that works, I've heard both from same person, so I guess "mer" and "ber" are synonyms... possibly different slightly.

ok well on to find that spelling of "kot"

no luck at this websire for "kot"

http://www.thamnong.com/hs9dmc/phasatai.htm

interesting one, for the language as well as the species:

อ้อดิบ - ต้นคล้าย ๆ ต้นเผือก ใช้ก้านใบแกงส้ม

oor -dip - it is a rare species of elephant ear plant that the stems can be eaten raw. Regular elephant ear would poison you causing your throat to swell up. From oxyalic acid (spelling?) Have planted extensively at the house for species collection, if you need let me know.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, surfdog said:

no luck at this websire for "kot"

http://www.thamnong.com/hs9dmc/phasatai.htm

interesting one, for the language as well as the species:

อ้อดิบ - ต้นคล้าย ๆ ต้นเผือก ใช้ก้านใบแกงส้ม

oor -dip - it is a rare species of elephant ear plant that the stems can be eaten raw. Regular elephant ear would poison you causing your throat to swell up. From oxyalic acid (spelling?) Have planted extensively at the house for species collection, if you need let me know.

I'll ask my daughter about it...thanks for the links; very useful.

เข็ด ('khade' low tone): in S. Thai means 'hurt' or 'to be in pain'. It can be used as either a verb or adjective.

Additionally, If someone says เข็ดแล้ว it commonly means "enough" or "I give up" (eg. because the pain or suffering is too much)...hopefully we won't need to use it too often!

เข็ด ('khade' low tone): in S. Thai means 'hurt' or 'to be in pain'. It can be used as either a verb or adjective.

Additionally, If someone says เข็ดแล้ว it commonly means "enough" or "I give up" (eg. because the pain or suffering is too much)...hopefully we won't need to use it too often!

I havn't heard this one, but wife confirm :)

Check this video:

a small rosetta stone of southern Thai, not just for the 6 words they present, but for the subtitiles which spell out many southern words, some I have mispelled earlier in this thread

for example ที is ถิ ยังถิ

outside of this video I thought of บันได-ขันได

bandai (ladder + stairs) = kandai

Relevant to yours also shows a B-->K switch

All in all with a previous posters mention of Farang-->Kalang so many phonemes can switch to K regardless of close they are in the mouth, e.g. not having to do with typical Southern Thai 'lazy tounge.'

• Like 1

3:15

อะโรซู่ อย่าเที่ยวทำตัวพันนั้นที(ถิ)

aroh su ya teeow tam tua pan nan tee

This sentence stood out and so much to talk about.

อะโร - aroh - emphatic sigh, like aiyah, aii,

ซู่- you, used for people equal of age, is perfectly polite unlike กู the difference between below is Su can be used by children

เติ้น - "tun" you, for adults or talking to adults, both these are new for me, but very interesting.

ที/ถิ = สิ - see - in depth explanation https://www.thailanguagehut.com/speak-thai-particle-word-สิ-si/

had no idea ที/ถิ could be used as particle in south, I always thought and wrote before in southern it means "yung ยัง" "yet, still" but this will help knowing there is another meaning.

so my best translation

อะโรซู่ อย่าเที่ยวทำตัวพันนั้นที(ถิ)

Hey you! Don't come around here and act like that, ok?/ok!

• Like 1

Good posts by Surfdog. The problem I am having now with Southern Thai is a kind of low-grade frustration. I learned to speak Thai in Bangkok and never felt the need to learn Southern Thai when I lived in Phuket, Songkhla Town or Hat Yai...But now living with my elderly peasants-in-law, it seems I will need to learn it if I ever want to communicate effectively with them. (sometimes it is a blessing not to understand what they are saying, that's for sure!)

But then I wonder if it is really worth the effort. After all, when the current elderly generation dies off I think the Southern Dialect will begin to die out too...or will it? Anyway, I guess I just want to open up a discussion on whether Southern Thai is on the way out or not...

1 hour ago, surfdog said:

like the point of the video, outsiders not knowing when southerners are insulting them, yes kind of ignorance is bliss, but ignorance nonetheless. Having no idea who you friends really are ????

Good point...I think when I was a young man living in Bangkok I would go into this heightened state of listening awareness whenever I heard the word 'farang'...maybe it was from a slight kind of paranoia, but it really helped me pick up the language quite well. Now, with the Southern Thai, my inclination is just to tune out.

Good point...I think when I was a young man living in Bangkok I would go into this heightened state of listening awareness whenever I heard the word 'farang'...maybe it was from a slight kind of paranoia, but it really helped me pick up the language quite well. Now, with the Southern Thai, my inclination is just to tune out.

weird post went through twice and can't edit or delete, anyways... reminds of first month in Thailand living in Don Muong, I made it 5 min before being 'adopted.' Everybody always asking me ไปไหน and all I could think about is why all these people who don't me are so concerned where I'm going.

Hey my first couple years in the south also was to just tune out or look down on southern Thai, the ups and downs of volume and lazy tongue made comprehension near impossible, and wasn't too hard to imagine I was the subject of an innocent or not so innocent joke on my behalf. So why bother listening to these people. Now that I know which is which it is nice to make longstanding business connections and people I can trust.

But to delve deeper into Thai language and why southern Thai is important to Thais and foreigners alike.

It is my opinion in Thai culture, meetings are very transactional, first greetings assess through language:

1. gender
2. sexual preference
3. class
4. region

Therefore when a southerner greets you subconsciously or consciously they are investigating 3 + 4 for value in any current or future transactions. 1 + 2 are not as important in business because then comes the 5th factor of business, knowing the price and negotiating.

Therefore first your Thai language is tested, standard Thai greetings like "ไปไหน" or sawatdee are thrown out. If you answer fluently, a further test will be initiated "แรงใต้ไหม" (can you speak southern).

This happens to me when shopping at any small businesses where prices are negotiated daily.

I have at many times negotiated prices lower than my in laws can, Durian is not cheap and with inflation and poor exhange rates, gratuity is not a luxury I can afford like 10 years ago.

So yes, in my opinion it is everybody's best interest to be able to listen and to speak southern when living down here. e.g. แรงใต้ได้ครับ

Especially if you are being assesed for nefarious purposes like robbery, rape, con-job, etc., or if you eat a lot of Durian.

Sorry for the longwinded essay. :)

• Thanks 1

I like your 1-4 breakdown, but when Thais are dealing with me I still seem to get the overwhelming Farang! Farang! reaction.

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be an ethnic non-Thai Asian living here, like the many Filipino teachers I have met.

One of the things I like about living in Ranode, after 15 years in Phuket, is that I don't feel the average local person is out to take advantage of me on a deal.

I love durian as much as anyone and continue to suspect that it may be the single greatest evidence of extraterrestrial tampering, as it really is out of this world...so far my attempt to grow my own have failed...

Anyway, I will try to sniff out some new words today to get this thread back on topic!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Let's talk about รถถีบ "rot teep"
why I hear a P even though spelled with a B...

Anyways I was caught off guard but easily guessed in context the รถถีบ is a bicycle. Teep = Pedal

I figured this was southern but it is just "old"

I learned ปั่น = pedal จักรยาน for bicycle = "Pun Jakayan"

Perhaps there is a preference for word Rot Teep in the south?

maybe not... but it is not specifically southern language but possibly a preference for usage.

Maybe I'm just talking with too many seniors.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, surfdog said:

Let's talk about รถถีบ "rot teep"
why I hear a P even though spelled with a B...

Anyways I was caught off guard but easily guessed in context the รถถีบ is a bicycle. Teep = Pedal

I figured this was southern but it is just "old"

I learned ปั่น = pedal จักรยาน for bicycle = "Pun Jakayan"

Perhaps there is a preference for word Rot Teep in the south?

maybe not... but it is not specifically southern language but possibly a preference for usage.

Maybe I'm just talking with too many seniors.

Yes, my elderly peasants-in-law always use all the seniors รถถีบ and I never heard it until I moved in with them. Among the younger ones it tends to be จักรยาน

I just realized there is a thread about Southern Thai Language on Wikipedia. It says that Southern Thai is also known as 'Dambro', which is a surprise to me because I have never heard of it before.

My daughter, who is fluent in English as well as Central and Southern Thai, says she has never heard of that name for it either.

So I am just wondering if any others are aware of it.

Overall, the Southern Thai Language thread there is pretty interesting and worth a read if you haven't seen it already.

Have not, perhaps just an academic term coined by linguists.

There is sort of campaign to pad the numbers of official languages, Tampro/Dambro may sound more like a language, while southern Thai would only be a dialect.

That sort of padding leads to research grants.