wanting to learn basic south words

obagz88

7 minutes ago, mlkik said:

I think this thread would benefit from being transfered to the Thai language forum.

or by removing your posts, do you even live in the south?   You want to summarize two years of work by members of the southern forum into "you guys are idiots this is all central Thai" and then move the thread to another forum where we'll likely run into more 'help' like you are providing?

I think this thread would benefit by you outlining what is not southern Thai, back up your comment man!

19 minutes ago, surfdog said:

or by removing your posts, do you even live in the south?   You want to summarize two years of work by members of the southern forum into "you guys are idiots this is all central Thai" and then move the thread to another forum where we'll likely run into more 'help' like you are providing?

I think this thread would benefit by you outlining what is not southern Thai, back up your comment man!

555 bit of an over reaction to someone who only discovered this thread yesterday and has spent  quite a bit of time compiling a list of the words which have been posted that are spoken throughout Thailand and not specificaly used only in the south.

I made a genuine suggestion as there are some very advanced Thai speakers who post on the Thai language thread and thought they could be of help.

No I do not live in the south.,I previously lived in Samutprakarn but now am living in Issarn. My comment was based on the fact many of the words posted are used also in central and north east Thailand.

You appear to be one of those people who think they are fluent in a language but quite clearly are not as you throw your toys out of the pram as soon as someone has an alternate view to you.

Where did I suggest you were all idiots ? 555 Talk about toutchy 555.

Shame I wasted my time compiling a list of words that I was about to post in reply to you asking for examples.

Edited by mlkik

• 1 month later...

Here's a new one that I have been told is only used in the South:

แหมเห้ย Mae Heuy. This is an interjection to be used when some loudmouthed, know-it-all starts in on the same sermon for the upteenth time.

Similar to the meaning of 'here we go again!' used in English under similar circumstances -- or at least that is my take on it. Any other thoughts?

• 2 months later...
Here's a new one that I have been told is only used in the South:

แหมเห้ย Mae Heuy. This is an interjection to be used when some loudmouthed, know-it-all starts in on the same sermon for the upteenth time.

Similar to the meaning of 'here we go again!' used in English under similar circumstances -- or at least that is my take on it. Any other thoughts?

long live this thread!

yeh Mae Hery reminds me of the american "what the f$&@$"" w-t-f
hopefully not filtered.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

"น้ำตาหยดแหมะ โอ้ยน่าเอ็นดู"

namta hyot hmet. oi! na en duu

friend wrote on facebook, she's a Phattalung girl, in context to her daughter excessively crying.

ok for once stumped on part of this,

just goes to show a 3 hr drive more south than me has some dialect never heard before. These two words:

หยดแหมะ I can't even guess really,

maybe Hyot = Hmot (หมด) (ran out, none)

hmet = hlet (แหละ) : particle like "for sure" "indeed"

but for my definite contribution:

en, "เอ็น" = เห็น hin "see"

together with "na" and "duu" =

น่าเห็นดู pitiful

not a lexicon difference just a consonant deletion of "H", in line with a lot of southern "lazy" tongue dialect

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'll have to check with the experts on that one. The Phattalung accent has a reputation for uniqueness even in nearby, surrounding areas.

I always though น่าเอ็นดู meant something like 'cute' or 'precious'; something you would typically find describing a young child.

Anyway, I will let you know later. Thanks Surfdog...

My daughter says most of this is not really Southern Thai.

on หยดแหมะ , she confirmed what I thought, that หยด is just the central Thai verb for 'to fall' and the แหมะ is just an onomatopoeia (word based on a sound) used to describe the sound of dripping water, akin to 'drip-drip' or 'pitter-patter' in English.

She said that น่าเห็นดู is just a Southern pronunciation of น่าเอ็นดู , and said that it really means precious or cute, as I suspected, but can also carry a sense of pity as well.

yeh your right in context, pitying is a weird instance used in that way to like "cute" pity

Like describing a baby "oh it can't even walk" "na en du"

Thanks for the "Yot Meh" help, lost on that one!

so it means pitter patter... never would have guessed that!

your transcription makes it quite unreadable, however some words like เหย็ด obvious, but not particular to south

I-pray better transcribed as E-praet

Also transcribed previously from Sanskrit as " Preta"

and is favorite foul language for us southerners

อีเปรต

On 9/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, surfdog said:

your transcription makes it quite unreadable, however some words like เหย็ด obvious, but not particular to south

I-pray better transcribed as E-praet

Also transcribed previously from Sanskrit as " Preta"

and is favorite foul language for us southerners

อีเปรต

Good one...can also use ไอเปรต...
อีเปรต is generally for women; ไอเปรต can be used with either gender. So nobody is out of range...

• 2 weeks later...
Good one...can also use ไอเปรต...
อีเปรต is generally for women; ไอเปรต can be used with either gender. So nobody is out of range...
Sorry to be nitpicking, but wouldn't the correct spelling be ไอ้เปรต?

• 2 months later...

Hello all... Can anyone in this forum recommend a professional Thai language tutor in one of the three provinces of the deep south (Yala, Pattani, or Narathiwat)? I've studied standard Thai for about 1.5 years at my university in the US, but am hoping to improve my speaking/listening through private tutoring and language immersion in the southern dialect this June-August, before I begin my research in Yala later in 2021. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

6 hours ago, jsw47 said:

Hello all... Can anyone in this forum recommend a professional Thai language tutor in one of the three provinces of the deep south (Yala, Pattani, or Narathiwat)? I've studied standard Thai for about 1.5 years at my university in the US, but am hoping to improve my speaking/listening through private tutoring and language immersion in the southern dialect this June-August, before I begin my research in Yala later in 2021. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

Do you want to learn Southern Thai  (and there are many local variations) or Patani Malay? I think you could conduct research down there just as easily in Central Thai, which is really a lingua franca in the region now.

30 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

Do you want to learn Southern Thai  (and there are many local variations) or Patani Malay? I think you could conduct research down there just as easily in Central Thai, which is really a lingua franca in the region now.

Thanks for your reply, phuketsub! I would like to become competent in the the deep south's variation of Thai (ตากใบ or เจ๊ะเห). I am fluent in Malay (which is quite different from, but related to Jawi/Patani Malay, I know), but for the type of research I do, Thai would give me greater reach. The instruction I'll be getting might still be mostly in standard Thai, which is fine, but the chance to get early exposure to southern speech by being based in one of the three border provinces would be really helpful. 

Edited by jsw47
grammar

Interesting. I still have a lot of contacts down there though my old line of work. Do you mind if I ask what the nature of your research is? If you don't want to say in this forum you could send by PM. I will try to help you.