BANGKOK
obagz88

wanting to learn basic south words

yeh, someone just pointed that out to me in the other thread!

Yes they have seed grown and grafted, I didn’t ask the price but should go down from last year. ‘Ngan Dern Sip’ Sep20-oct 20? the annual fair at ‘Toong Talat’ here (nst zoo) will have.

I picked up grafted one for 450 last year and doing good at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, surfdog said:

yeh, someone just pointed that out to me in the other thread!

Yes they have seed grown and grafted, I didn’t ask the price but should go down from last year. ‘Ngan Dern Sip’ Sep20-oct 20? the annual fair at ‘Toong Talat’ here (nst zoo) will have.

I picked up grafted one for 450 last year and doing good at my house.

Thanks for that. Will try to get up there. I have a friend in Pak Panang who can get them from Pattaya by EMS and one of his is nine feet high already..but there is something about sending living organisms through the mail that doesn't sit well with me...

Reminded of this one the other day, definitely our region.   'kot' which works just like the English "very" as far as syntax, it precedes the adjective.  Which is strange that syntax would change as well, but it it can not follow the adjective like 'mak, mak mak, mak hmai'

'kot nao' - very cold - nao mak mak

'kot rawn' - very hot - rawn mak mak

I'm guessing it may be spelled 'คต', but unsure at this time.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:22 AM, surfdog said:

Reminded of this one the other day, definitely our region.   'kot' which works just like the English "very" as far as syntax, it precedes the adjective.  Which is strange that syntax would change as well, but it it can not follow the adjective like 'mak, mak mak, mak hmai'

I am pretty sure that's one of the words spilling out of my mo-in-law all the time, so will keep my ears perked up to try and catch it in action. Thanks once again.

• Like 1

I don't know about the syntax, but I believe it's spelled โคตร.
  • Like 1

that’s cool example because shows subject and verb deletion, technically only think subject deletion is allowed, was the most difficult part of learning Thai for me I think.

• Like 1

also ยังที yung tee
in which the negative verb is deleted
full example of one that can be sortened to this: ยังไม่ได้ทำที yung mai dai tum tee
“I didn’t do it yet”
you can just shorten to “yung tee ยังที”

This can work with any verb but it has to be negated with somethimg similar to past perfect tense in Thai -mai dai + verb, also important can only be an answer to a question.

examples:
กรุงชิงไปยัง
—-ยังที (ยังไม่ได้ไป)

การบ้านทำยัง
—-ยังที (ยังไม่ได้ทำ)

Here's an idiom in Southern Thai that is fairly close to its English language idiom 'ants in your pants': mod chaay waan (waan being the southern Thai word from ass)

'haa roey!' (ฮาโรย) is an old Southern  interjection of excited exasperation similar in meaning to 'Jeez', 'Just do It' or 'Get on With it'...this came out of my wife's mouth as she was playing Snakes&Ladders with a bunch of 7-year-olds...Also, that game in Thai is called 'bandai-ngoo' (ladder-snake for the literally)

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, nrasmussen said:

I don't know about the syntax, but I believe it's spelled โคตร.

Surely not and 'kot' written by the op is simply the abbreviation of weather (ah-gaht) อากาศ .

The word for tailbone is different in Southern Thai.

Central Thai =kraduk kon kop [กระดูกก้นกบล]  literally 'frog's add bone'

Southern Thai 'moong'

Now you know...

wow just found a treasure of words I think havn't mentioned yet here https://www.sanook.com/campus/1390689/ while looking for a spelling of "kot" (very)

As always will only mention the ones I've heard before, many on the list already mentioned.

หึงสา - heung sa - jealous, I'm apt to say "sa" is only a particle because have heard "heung" without it used as a verb. As a standalone phrase with "sa" it is like "jealous! right!?"

ไซร์ - sai - why, mentioned aready but not this spelling, interesting use of garan.

ภาษาใต้ : หลบ, หล็อบ (หล๊อบ)
หมายความว่า : กลับ - return - mentioned before?

ภาษาใต้ : ทั้งเพ
หมายความว่า : ทั้งหมด ทั้งสิ้น - all, mentioned before? I almost hear "tung paeng" more then "tung pae"

เมล่อ, เบล่อ - this website says... however I hear เม่อร์ and เบ่อร์ sometimes followed with adjective "ขาด" - mer kaad, to pronounce it id very long sounding like - hmeerr- used to describe someone stupid, stubborn, foolish, in website they translate as "nonsensical" guess that works, I've heard both from same person, so I guess "mer" and "ber" are synonyms... possibly different slightly.

ok well on to find that spelling of "kot"

no luck at this websire for "kot"

http://www.thamnong.com/hs9dmc/phasatai.htm

interesting one, for the language as well as the species:

อ้อดิบ - ต้นคล้าย ๆ ต้นเผือก ใช้ก้านใบแกงส้ม

oor -dip - it is a rare species of elephant ear plant that the stems can be eaten raw. Regular elephant ear would poison you causing your throat to swell up. From oxyalic acid (spelling?) Have planted extensively at the house for species collection, if you need let me know.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, surfdog said:

no luck at this websire for "kot"

http://www.thamnong.com/hs9dmc/phasatai.htm

interesting one, for the language as well as the species:

อ้อดิบ - ต้นคล้าย ๆ ต้นเผือก ใช้ก้านใบแกงส้ม

oor -dip - it is a rare species of elephant ear plant that the stems can be eaten raw. Regular elephant ear would poison you causing your throat to swell up. From oxyalic acid (spelling?) Have planted extensively at the house for species collection, if you need let me know.

I'll ask my daughter about it...thanks for the links; very useful.