Pedestrian Crossing All Over....

cutethaigirl

Has anyone had a go a crossing the road using the very expensive looking newly installed crossings that have appeared around the city?

Was wondering what the difference would be when a local driver sees a red light at a pedestrian crossing as opposed to a major intersection where they carry on regardless?

Also a lot of beautiful stainless barriers have appeared near the crossings.

Thapae road has about three so plan an extra few minutes on your journey if all on red :D

Mind you the state of that road you are lucky if you make it from the start to the end of the road :o

CT

These are just to make the city look beautiful.

They will have no affect on Thai drivers, at all!!!

Hey, anything to help bring some better visibility and attention to the pedestrian, and some more safety, too. I feel sorry for anyone crossing the street. And if you brake for them, it's easy to cause an accident because you're not driving as others expect...

> They will have no affect on Thai drivers, at all!!!

Not just Thai drivers. I will let people cross the street, but then I continue on, don't wait for the light to turn green, just like everybody else.

They're in silly places. Just another kickback-scheme for someone somewhere in local government. Also the silver coloured barriers do NOT look very solid.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Also the silver coloured barriers do NOT look very solid

I saw them being welded yesterday with TIG so they probably are stainless steel,if the crossings will work or not is another thing alltogether.

I agree with whoever said just another scam to put money in someones pocket.

If they put their money whetre their moutyh is they would educate the drivers to stop for pedestrians using the crossing without the need for a red light.

Plus, wait untill some di*kh**d blocks the lights from the view of approaching motorists then watch for the fun. People will be crossing thinking the motorist will see the red light and bingo and one for the "pow sop"

:o

I agree with whoever said just another scam to put money in someones pocket.

If they put their money whetre their moutyh is they would educate the drivers to stop for pedestrians using the crossing without the need for a red light.

Plus, wait untill some di*kh**d blocks the lights from the view of approaching motorists then watch for the fun. People will be crossing thinking the motorist will see the red light and bingo and one for the "pow sop"

:D

Has anyone driven through the working traffic lights at Chang Puak? On the north side of the klong as you approach Chotana Road. The Thai drivers blissfully drive through them, even on red, making the crossing by pedestrians more than hazardous.

I made the mistake of stopping on the red light on one occasion, only to have the car on my inside sweep past me, and in the process clipping the bag carried by the pedestrian.

WHEN all these new lights finally go into operation, I suppose it would be too much to ask to have them policed for the first few months of operation to get the local populace used to STOPPING on red lights, instead of driving straight through! Nah I thought not :o

I think they will just cause more confusion. If there's no intersection most drivers aren't going to stop, even if the light is red. So you're going to have some cars stopped, most swerving around them and a poor soul crossing the road thinking that they are safe... And I agree, they are in odd places.

A much needed intersection control light system was installed at the I/S of Mae Rim Road and Highway 121, 6 kilometers north of Super Highway, to be knocked down, literally, three or four days after installation.

A month later it has been re-installed and life is a lot safer. It is not a pedestrial intensive intersection, but sure makes a turn there a lot safer for those who follow the traffic laws. I haven't seen any violations as yet, but the dearly departed light control pole might disagree!

I actually saw my first crosswalk signal light in action last night. This one is in the Night Bazaar and was used extensively. The funny thing was that the farangs were teaching the Thai pedestrians, by example, how to use the lights. The motorists were stopping in plenty of time also. Just the odd motorcyclist had to hit the brakes in a hurry. Maybe this will catch on.

Of all the locations, throughout the city, of the new traffic control lights the engineers forgot the most frequented crossing. This being in front of Central department store on Huai Kaeo Road. Nothing's prefect I guess.

Be that as it may, super spiffy illuminated crosswalks, guard rails, and crossing lights will certainly improve the quality of roadkill. The targets now in defined well lit areas and escape could require vaulting!

I really like the super spiffy illuminated crosswalks....I think the countdown clock is also an interesting addition, too.

Great to see the city doing something to make crossing the street maybe a little safer and less traumatic for some...fingers crossed

A much needed intersection control light system was installed at the I/S of Mae Rim Road and Highway 121, 6 kilometers north of Super Highway, to be knocked down, literally, three or four days after installation.

A month later it has been re-installed and life is a lot safer. It is not a pedestrial intensive intersection, but sure makes a turn there a lot safer for those who follow the traffic laws. I haven't seen any violations as yet, but the dearly departed light control pole might disagree!

I would hazard a guess that the two souls who departed this life there the other week might disagree also.You can see the two sites of mini sandcastles and little flags on the left hand in the Fang direction.