Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

To the OP. I wouldn't take much notice of the post I have quoted here.

Doom and gloom and a bit off the mark.

As an example, saying job oppotunites in Ubon are limited just shows how little he knows.

Well said mate, I couldn't have put it any better.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different strokes for different folks. For thirty years I have lived in Bangkok, others can't leave the city fast enough. I get away to Isaan as often as I can for short trips, I find it a tonic and the people delightful in a way that used to exist all over the big city too. Could I live in the North-East? No way.

You're in a food position financially for your age, well done.  That gives you options.

Do consider a couple of things:

1.  I would not sell your house.  Odds are that over time it will appreciate in value and besides, if someone is going to pay off your mortgage and it is cashflow positive when why sell it when you don't actually need that money at this point in time.  Your 25,000 pounds is more than a million baht and that amount of money should last you 1 - 2 years in Isarn which is plenty of time to get yourself set up in a place of your own and then look at options for a job / investing / setting a business up etc.

2.  Do consider that while you're in a good position now, if things don't work out in Thailand you might find yourself going backwards.  I don't know what line of work you're in but don't burn your bridges back in the UK.  Make sure you can return to work there in your chosen industry or profession if you so choose.  Most people will be able to earn more in their own country than in Thailand so don't forget that sometimes things just don't work out in Thailand and, as hard as it may be for you to believe at this point in time and this stage of "the Thailand experience", some people who were once enamored with the place do tire of it and find that the place sours and they crave returning to their homeland.  I've been there myself and seen it many times.  There are posts from people who feel that way every day here on ThaiVisa.  I guess the point I am trying to make is don't burn your bridges back home.  Keep that door open.

I do wish you all the best.

9 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Thank you very much.

This makes very good sense.

I have everything here in the UK that I could ever need, but have been visiting Thailand for over 10 years.

Factoring everything in, I know that staying here is the more "sensible" option.

I like to live quite a simple life, however, getting burned in Thailand and losing everything I have worked for,  and then having to return home to the UK (with nowhere to go outside the doors at Heathrow) is too scary an option.

I may visit again for fun for a few months, but I think everything that has been said has forced my hand.

Thanks for all the advice.

If you are for certain going to visit Thailand, a good strategy is to with job interviews scheduled in Thailand.  This is the best way to determine whether you can really make a decent life for yourself there.

With your education and knowledge of the language, you should be easily able to find multinationals looking for people with your skill set. Don't throw it all away teaching English to children. Look for higher challenges and more rewarding work.

"Weekend escapes" to the country become all the more fun when you have $'s in your pocket plus they mean more when you get a break from big city life.

PR9SK..Go with your heart. I have been here in Thailand  for 10 years and 7 in Issan. Its what you make of it. I live in Ubon Ratchathani and Ubon is a wonderful place to live. If you like the bars etc then you can get on a plane and go almost direct there. After you get your rocks off then head back to the real Thailand.  I am 60 years old and I really wish I came here 20 years ago. I live a normal life with my wife and could not ask for more. I have a nice house which in Australia would cost a bomb  and live a very happy life and in Ubon. There are many terrific activities as the local Hash Group, cinemas, pubs, a ton of restaurants,  great friends and the list goes on. I see a recommendation by Michael about a good position at the biggest university is on offer so there are job prospects for you. My personal feeling is... if you don't give it a go, then at some later date maybe you will regret  it.

Go with your heart. All the best.

Agree with everything John says. Come and give it a go. I first came when I was 24 and worked in the northeast for 6 years. Returned to my own country for 14 years and returned to live and work in Ubon in 1994. Been here ever since. I posted a job at the university because these jobs are rare. It doesn't involve teaching but the minimum requirement is a Masters degree which you have. I would contact them now. Send in your CV. See what happens.  If you are willing to contribute to life here in Ubon, you will find it a great place to live in. 

Ask yourself what do you really like to do.  Then see how your life will be different here.  

Many of the everyday things you are a custom to very easily will change.  Communication is probably the hardest thing.  

You need to know that women are women all over the world.  They have the same wants and needs and you can already see that she wants money for her bussiness that you will never get back.    

Visit for 6 months then go back home for 3 months.  Then try it again.  That will be the best way to really see.    Good luck .

12 hours ago, Pinot said:

The relationship with the Thai girl will probably go sour. You're a very desireable young man from Thai girl's point of view. You'll soon find an incredibly hot girl and maybe someone who actually has a great life going. You might check out Udon Thani. I think I'd live there if I didn't live in Phuket. More opportunities there and smoking hot women. 

I would go back to the UK and maximize your earnings and save save save. You're in the prime of your career. Here in Thailand you'll be lucky to find a job you can scrape by with. Then there is the issue of how do I stay in the country? It's very hard to make a living here. It can be done but not out of there. 

Agree with the sentiment here but would add that if you are bored with Life in the UK, look to find yourself a decent paying job somewhere else... E.g. Singapore, it's only a couple of hours flight/$200SGD away from Thailand, forget the rubbish you read about it being expensive to live here, tax savings alone more than pay for my Condo rental & after that, it's cheap as chips :)

But you are in the prime earning years of your career & need to think about maximising them to set yourself up for the next (given average life expectancy) 50 years

Good luck with whatever you decide, I know what I'd do if it was me... 

PR - 

You seem quite capable on the maths end... I have done similar at different times in my life. The saying is that in the end, you are more likely to regret things you haven't done, then things you have done. 

I am not sure as to your current location, but my last experiences as a landlord in USA where closer to disaster and being an absentee landlord can be great or be a total disaster... 

good luck and enjoy Thailand... as your man Cat Stevens once said, "You will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not." 

Take a year out and see how you go. Won't cost much and a year is nothing. That will give you a taste. You are well educated so getting a job now or in a year will be the same for you.

You won't regret having tried as long as you don't throw what you have away. Good luck.

I don't want to be insulting, but if you were my Son with your advantages Id' be kicking your ass and telling you to get some ambition in to your thinking and do something instead of trying to retire to Issan at 36.  Sorry, but that would be my view.  Give it 20 years mate. Unless of course you can come here on an expat package with a multi national company. 

I don't want to be insulting, but if you were my Son with your advantages Id' be kicking your ass and telling you to get some ambition in to your thinking and do something instead of trying to retire to Issan at 36.  Sorry, but that would be my view.  Give it 20 years mate. Unless of course you can come here on an expat package with a multi national company. 

And assuming the op's "first class degree" is in something useful it is pretty easy to get good work here with any number of multi-nationals, particular as the op can speak, read and write Thai.

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And assuming the op's "first class degree" is in something useful it is pretty easy to get good work here with any number of multi-nationals, particular as the op can speak, read and write Thai.

I doubt in Issan? 

18 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. My other, probably more sensible option is to keep everything ticking over in the UK and visit for 3-4 weeks then make a decision. I did love the place but can see how it may become boring. But then the UK is boring too.

Change can be a very healthy thing. But prudence is also something to consider. I think you have hit on a good first option. Come for a month, and see how it feels. Not sure how well you know this woman you are referring to. My general rule of thumb is that it takes a good solid year of being with someone full time, before you really know who she is. You might want to consider doubling that, for a Thai woman. Many are very undeveloped emotionally, for their age, and really lack communication skills, even if they speak very good english. That all has to be considered. Always remember, time if your ally. It is not her ally. She is nearly always going to push the agenda. 

Issan has some very good qualities. There are some very nice areas up there, most of the people are warm and genuine, the standard of living is great, and it does have some things to offer. But, you have to decide if it is someplace you would want to live full time. I own land up there, and a home. But my wife and I only visit occasionally, and I figure I will not be living there most of the year, until I am at least 70 years old. Quite a few of the foreigners I know who live in Issan are fairly heavy drinkers. Most likely due to the intense boredom of everyday life?

And lastly, DO NOT invest money with a Thai friend or woman, unless you really get to know them well, beforehand. While some make out just fine, alot of guys have lost their money doing so. Granted, 90K baht is not alot of money. But, be careful, and take your time.

To the OP. Would suggest getting a multiple entry tourtist visa will only cost you $200 US. Good for a year only need to make a quick trip to Chong Meck every 90 days. Don't do anything permanent till you have been here a year. Should have a good feel for living here after that.
People are people everywhere. There are more scammers here, be careful, but there are good people here too.
Me I have a home in Ubon and Dallas Texas and been married to a Thai since the early 70's. Spilt time between the two cities. Wife tends to prefer life in the US though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Martyjustice said:

To the OP. Would suggest getting a multiple entry tourtist visa will only cost you $200 US. Good for a year only need to make a quick trip to Chong Meck every 90 days. Don't do anything permanent till you have been here a year. Should have a good feel for living here after that.
People are people everywhere. There are more scammers here, be careful, but there are good people here too.
Me I have a home in Ubon and Dallas Texas and been married to a Thai since the early 70's. Spilt time between the two cities. Wife tends to prefer life in the US though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going back soon for 3-6 months.

I will report back. Hopefully I will still be enjoying it, if not I will let you know why not.

OP,

Think you have got quite some good feedback here. You have food for thought.

You said yourself that you'd really hate going back to UK (tail between legs) no money and nowhere to stay.

Good, that you acknowledge this, so presumably you will secure a place to live should you go back to blighty.

Forget investment in friends business, if its not too late to step out of it, Think of that after you have lived here a few years.

You are 36, there are not so many visa options availabe to you.

Seek out an employer that will do the visa bit for you. If teaching is good for you, find an educational instituition that will

take care of the visa bit.

From what you have said, you are not loaded. Mind you. cost of living is increasing in LoS, also in Isaan.

Don't forget that. And don't underestimate the effect of currency fluctuations. Pound sterling are not amongst

the strongest now, will brexit improve its value or the opposite? Who knows, but make room for negative effects.

'

Healthwise:

Maybe you are strong and mega healthy, or maybe not, Anyway, shit happens to 36 year olds aswell.

You need adequate insurance to cater for possible accidents/illnesses. Ain't cheap, even at 36.

And the cost will increase with your age.

Some of the negative voices here refer to you as retiring in LoS at 36. I understood you as moving to LoS with a view to

continue working. Don't retire at 36 with a small budget, if you are loaded you may - if that satisfies you.

You should think through how you would lie to spend your time.

What will you fillup your time with? Think veruy thoroughly through that.

You sleep about 8 hours. If you work, which you should, thats another 8 hours. What about the remaining 8 hours / day

and saturdays and sundays and other holidays?

What to do to keep you happy and to keep you feeling that your time is meaningful. I think this is quite important.

That last bit I spent an awfull lot of time on before I moved to live in LoS (even though I have been to Thailand more than a hundred times over 30 years on business). I sorted out what would keep me happy anf fulfilled, and after 5 years I can still say that it worked out well. I am never bored I am never spinning thumbs.

(and I do very well without any Thai wife or girlfriend)

Some people here have said. If you really want, do it! If not you will regret it later. I agree with that view. If you are keen, do it, but do think through a few things.

(I did the wild thing in my life at the age of 53, very happy I did it, had severe negative consequences on my pension, but I knew that and I dont regret it, my mistake was that I didn't do it when I was 42 rather than 53.)

Anyway.

You must think of your CV. Sounds like you are an educated man. You may go to Isaan and enjoy or not enjoy that for some years. Maybe for life. After  some years you may fancy Blighty and finding a job there. You know, at 36 things are not cast in concrete.

Assuming you have a reasonable CV, at 36 popping off to LoS/Isaan to teach English for 4-5-6 years and coming back to

blighty, that piece on your CV may be an asset.

Stay 10 years in Ubon teaching English to minors, you dont't have an asset on your CV anymore.

If teaching is your thing, fine. You said something along the lines of you were clever with languages. Fine.

Do teach the minors, make yourself an BA and MA in Thai while doing that.

Its satisfying doing degrees (to me at least, I have a bunch) and it can be put on CVs should you return to Blighty,

and it will keep you brain working.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, Dene16 said:

do this on a property of a much lesser value

Interesting, have you deducted the taxes?

Am not familiar with England but in Canada, I'd never rent out for profit, taxes would absorb any eventual profit. Railing down even the thought of it. Some do, don't know how they get an income from it. 

Wether Isaan is the best place to be and if it is the right girl is all a matter of personal choice. The issues are how it will work out in the long term.

1. You are 36. You can only get a long term visa with extensions if you are married OR working. And to work you must have a valid work permit. The problem is that if you loose your job or split from your wife the clock starts ticking on how long you can stay for. After age 50 you can get retirement. BUT remember both Marriage and retirement visa extensions have a financial requirement.

2. Long term, you need a pension. Working as a teacher will not give you a good enough one. Also think about health insurance - not something you think so much about while young but do you want to end up on a peanut pension and no health insurance? Unlikely you would ever get treated for free in Thailand.

3, You cannot get a 12 month visa currently. Longest term would be a multi-entry tourist visa which lasts for 6 months. You might extend this with a few single entries and visa exemptions, but after recent crackdowns the days of the border runner and new visa are numbered.

So by all means take 6 months, even a year out, but you need a solid base to make a life in Thailand before the age of 50. I came at the age of 58, thought i would easily afford it, but 7 years later had blown most of my savings (substantial) and just made it to the state pension age which should see me through now to the end (health costs permitting). I have a wife and daughter here.

25 minutes ago, AGLV0121 said:

Interesting, have you deducted the taxes?

You do pay taxes but as the op would not be working here he could make up to £11,200 per year before he paid any.

Everyone is entitled to earn this  before tax is paid plus he could claim management fees back and lots of other things that he would not really use so in effect tax free. 

As many other say, don't burn any ships, come and stay for 6 months to a year and check it out. 

Don't invest more than  you can leave with a smile! 

But why are you choosing Ubon?  I don't know anything about Ubon, I live in the north of Thailand. 

But if it is because your (girl)friend lives there then you might think about it more than once. 

I have lived here for more than 15 years and I met my wife 12 years ago.  I lived already up in the north and she came from Isaan but there were no discussion about where we should live. 

My wife's parents are wonderful and I love them very much and her two brothers are great. But I would never move close to her village because of rest of the family. There are a number of uncles and aunties, many, many cousins.  And some of them want to have things from the farang and they want more and more. 

We send money to wife's parents every month but noone else got anything.

We are around 700 km from wife's village and that is OK.

I wish you Best Luck!  

On 8/13/2017 at 10:15 PM, Dene16 said:

as the op would not be working here

No, I meant in the UK. Probably yes, as there is little you can do to "escape" them. But for me, altogether rails down the idea of making a profit out of renting out. Have not tried AirBnB though.

Only just saw this post - lots of good advice given mate. Take your time and think slowly. Many sad stories of blokes your age doing what you first said, and then things going bad and end up with stuffed life at 50+ and cant go back home.

What I would do is stay in UK and visit Thailand every year, while working on my finances to 'pull the pin' at say 40. Take a long term view - trust me those 4 years will go by fast - but they can make a hell of a difference in your quality of life here in LOS.  If after your first trip here you think it is where you want to live, then start building up your finances and get down your mortgage as much as possible. Plan plan plan. Take your time. Learnb all about Thailand first. And have a 'get out' plan. You may think you dont need one - but trust me you could be unlucky (marriage disaster, medical issue, legal issue, family/village problem, etc etc) and you need to walk away quickly.

You are far too young to burn bridges. If you do well getting down the mortgage, maybe downsize UK home and have no mortgage, and some left over for setting up in Thailand. Maybe you could split the home and rent part and keep a room/area for yourself and your gear. And never bring all/most of your money hear - keep it invested in UK and bring over small chunks at a time. And plan plan plan. A few years spending some time here each year while preparing things back home (having a purpose for working), will make a huge difference in your life at 50+ whichever way your life goes. 

I wish I had decided in my mid-40s to prepare for moving to Thailand when in my mid-50s, instead of waiting til I had already turned 55.  

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Only just saw this post - lots of good advice given mate. Take your time and think slowly. Many sad stories of blokes your age doing what you first said, and then things going bad and end up with stuffed life at 50+ and cant go back home.

What I would do is stay in UK and visit Thailand every year, while working on my finances to 'pull the pin' at say 40. Take a long term view - trust me those 4 years will go by fast - but they can make a hell of a difference in your quality of life here in LOS.  If after your first trip here you think it is where you want to live, then start building up your finances and get down your mortgage as much as possible. Plan plan plan. Take your time. Learnb all about Thailand first. And have a 'get out' plan. You may think you dont need one - but trust me you could be unlucky (marriage disaster, medical issue, legal issue, family/village problem, etc etc) and you need to walk away quickly.

You are far too young to burn bridges. If you do well getting down the mortgage, maybe downsize UK home and have no mortgage, and some left over for setting up in Thailand. Maybe you could split the home and rent part and keep a room/area for yourself and your gear. And never bring all/most of your money hear - keep it invested in UK and bring over small chunks at a time. And plan plan plan. A few years spending some time here each year while preparing things back home (having a purpose for working), will make a huge difference in your life at 50+ whichever way your life goes. 

I wish I had decided in my mid-40s to prepare for moving to Thailand when in my mid-50s, instead of waiting til I had already turned 55.  

Apologies for using your quote Elvis, I agree with what you've said, but just wanted to highlight 1 point to the OP...

OP... Again, I'd say there's a much bigger world out there than just the UK or Thailand & there are many places (e.g. Singapore , Hong Kong, Tokyo etc... in SEA + many other places outside of Asia)where you can have a much more successful career AND have the higher quality of life that you seem to be looking for (though QoL is different for all of us & there are lots of things I miss about my life in the UK).

So please don't think you have to make a binary choice between being unhappy in the UK (counting the days down until some retirement date in the future) OR Packing it all in & moving to Nakhon Nowhere (Possibly counting down to a future of struggling, maybe even desperation/destitution as you get older & eventually hit the point where the "options" aren't there anymore).

Sorry to be Frank/Harsh, and I'm sure there will be more than enough responses from people who have (or know or somebody who has) done it and it's all worked out, but at your age, with your education I would be looking at getting a well paid job in Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong or somewhere outside of SEA & enjoying the best of both worlds.

Up to You... 

On 17/08/2017 at 7:16 AM, AGLV0121 said:

No, I meant in the UK. Probably yes, as there is little you can do to "escape" them.

Sorry missed the 't' in front of here. He would pay no tax in the UK.

He would have no additional income from working in the UK as he will be in Thailand so he can make up to £11,200 before he pays tax

Archived