Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

On 2/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, bwpage3 said:

Visiting Thailand as a tourist IS exciting as all hell. However, the sheen wears off that excitement when you are forced to live in Thailand and work for peanuts as a school teacher. Plus, as others have said, you find yourself getting old some day with kids, no retirement and nothing at all for them or yourself. You have to get over the exciting part of being a tourist and visit the pro's and con's of working in Thailand as a teacher with that small income. 

no one forces you to work here. you to choose to work here for you own selfish reasons, work in your own country make something of your life and return when you are in a position to retire. 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, catman20 said:

no one forces you to work here. you to choose to work here for you own selfish reasons, work in your own country make something of your life and return when you are in a position to retire. 

How lovely.

Unfortunately I will almost certainly not live to retirement age due to an irreversible degenerative health problem.

Thanks for your comments. My house is in a very nice area, probably worth £350k+ now. I don't want to return to the UK ever again. I've got someone who can sell my house on my behalf and forward the money.

The medication I need can be bought here for buttons, and my quality of life here is an order of magnitude greater than it ever was in the UK.

And I have been here for longer than 3 months.

On 26/02/2018 at 7:16 AM, pr9spk said:

Thanks for your helpful advice. I have been here about 7-8 months continually and much prefer it to my life back in the UK. I am not getting any younger so will probably end up selling my house in the UK and making the move. Yes, there are disadvantages but then every city on the planet has disadvantages. Ubon feels safe, is very good value, and has a lot of beautiful countryside within an hours drive. Weather and food are fantastic and people are friendly. Compare that to the UK!

The UK is incredibly depressing, grey skies every day, everything is massively overpriced, and if you start talking to a random person they assume you are trying to mug them.  No street food, overweight women who think they are 10/10, terrible work/life balance, shocking transport and living costs, and I can rent somewhere in Ubon for less than my bloody council tax back in the UK!

Most places are good compares to the UK.

9 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Thanks for your comments. My house is in a very nice area, probably worth £350k+ now. I don't want to return to the UK ever again. I've got someone who can sell my house on my behalf and forward the money.

The medication I need can be bought here for buttons, and my quality of life here is an order of magnitude greater than it ever was in the UK.

And I have been here for longer than 3 months.

Wait 18 months and then see. 

So just another option for anyone who might want to consider a Thai life but still have good income and downstream options.

Move to Perth in Western Australia and get a fly in fly out job in the oil and gas industry, if you are lucky you can get 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and maybe $150k AUD a year. If you already have directly relevant skills this can pay a lot more. 

If you are not so lucky you might get 8 days on 6 days off in a mining job and $100k AUD a year.

If you are really lucky there is some on a 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 4 off roster. I also hear some are now becoming open to job sharing for half time half pay. That could be 10 weeks a year or 2 weeks every 2.5 months of work for $70-80k AUD or more a year.

Perth Bangkok direct on the Dreamliner is a bit over 7 hours and $800 -1100 return, at times you can get it down to as little as $350 not direct.

Do this for a while, you won't be able to spend all you earn so can try it out and save/invest while you have the best of both worlds.

See how it goes and then decide if to live there full time later.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:35 PM, pr9spk said:

I have some relatives in the UK, but nobody I actually have any contact with.

Not sure if I mentioned this but I have somewhere in Thailand to stay for free, a sizeable chunk of cash when I sell my UK house, and probably less than 10 years before I kick the bucket.

Not sure if I mentioned this but I have somewhere in Thailand to stay for free, a sizeable chunk of cash when I sell my UK house, and probably less than 10 years before I kick the bucket.

I bet there would be hoards of ladies lining up, to look after you here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 05/03/2018 at 8:32 PM, pr9spk said:

Ok good luck

• 1 month later...

Still haven't been killed and buried in a paddy field. Yet.

Not been asked for a single baht by anyone, and enjoying an incredibly laid back and enjoyable life in Isaan. Nobody wants me to build them a house or pay for a sick buffalo.

In fact I am surrounded on a daily basis by some of the most genuine and decent people I have met in my life.

I have ignored the negativity surrounding Isaan, and have found it to be a wonderful place to live. However, I understand fully that it is not everybody's cup of tea. The slow pace of life, no variety in the food (somtam, khanom jeen, somtam, khanom jeen, somtam, kwaiteow), and very hot weather may deter most people, and I understand that completely.

Going home soon to liquidate my assets, if I end up living under a bridge in Bangkok with nothing but a damp piece of cardboard to my name, I will try and post a picture on here.

But for now, every day that I wake up and find myself here makes me happy and content, I have travelled a lot and never found such a care-free and friendly place to settle.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:46 PM, pr9spk said:

Update:

I am still here in Isaan.

I am enjoying it a lot and in some respects wish I had left it all behind, I do not want to go back to the UK.

I have turned down 2 jobs in the 30-35k baht range because of the working hours and location but have a good interview lined up for next week, for a much more convenient posting.

Yes, I am sure all the people who cut me down would love to see me get burned by my employer and end up "living under a bridge", but to be honest my life here is massively more enjoyable than being in the UK. Life is too short to be unhappy and I am very happy here, although I can fully understand why some people might be bored. For me, a day spent walking and then fishing in the sun is as good as life gets. And when I get home it gets even better. Tasty food and fantastic company.

People are warm, friendly and VERY trustworthy.

I may end up dead in a paddy field somewhere or even worse. But shit happens in the UK too, and at least I will have died happy instead of depressed in a wet grey shithole town in the UK.

I still haven't commited but if I spend much more time in the UK I will be very disappointed.

I was in Phanom Phrai last year and an old guy, wealthy, ex london cab driver put it simply: "I feel loved here."

• 4 months later...

Just read all the thread.

Congratulations, OP, oftenly the best things in life come from the boldest actions. Even when life gives you no choice, dead ends, etc every problematic/unhappy situation is a chance to make a bet and find your own happiness elsewhere.

The world is too vaste to stick to frustration...

Keep posting from time to time. All the best!

Yes, still here, enjoying every day.

Fill my day up with reading, cooking, house maintenance, and looking after our dogs. With the odd trip to a local temple or waterfall. Very relaxing and a world away from the stress of a managerial job in the UK which nearly destroyed me.

Whatever you do, if you decide to move here, take your time. Do not invest in the business. Too many variables. It takes a long time to get to know a woman here, and sounds like you do not know her well enough to invest with her. If I were in your position, I would lease our your house in the UK. Might be a great source of income for you.

Most men have become so hungry for love, or emotionally desperate for some kindness, and TLC. And most men are so desirous of being around a real woman, one who knows how to act like a woman, and manifest the dignity within femininity, instead of being scared of their own womanhood. So, it is easy for the con artists, to take advantage of emotionally wounded men, who seem to be willing to do anything to regain a semblance of normality in their lives, with a decent woman. 

Always remember, if it is good, it is only going to get better. If there are problems, or The bottom line is this. Take your time getting to know a woman here, or anywhere. Time is your ally. It is rarely their ally. They are usually trying to step up the timetable. We need to push back. We need to assert control. An environment like this allows us to do so. Take advantage of that. Be a man. Step up. Pay tribute to the gender. Refuse to lay down anymore. Refuse to be a doormat. Refuse to check your cajones at the door. Start making the decisions. I have so many friends, who come here, and from the very start, make the same mistakes they made back in the West. Except here, they do not need to make those mistakes. The environment does not dictate that they behave like lambs. Many do not know, or realize that, or they succumb to "force of habit". Every ship needs a captain. If the man is not willing to be the captain of the ship, the woman will take over, here in Thailand. Most women here seem to want a strong man. But, if they end up with a wimp, they will take over. Give it time, if she is a big baby, who only looks like a real woman, but in reality is a 13 year old, or if she is a con artist, if she is only in it for the money, those realizations will manifest themselves over time. Time allows clarity. Never, ever move too quickly. That is the undoing of most of these guys. Man up. Do yourself proud. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Most men have become so hungry for love, or emotionally desperate for some kindness, and TLC

You have hit the nail on the head here 007 IMO, difficult to tell people this when you see them falling headlong into a disaster, probably very difficult to realise when you are one of the many suffering! ?

• 3 months later...

So I moved to the village, got married, and never looked back.

Currently in the UK for a couple of months to sell my property, can't wait to get back though.

The incredibly slow and friendly way of life in Isaan is perfect for me. Completely different to the soul destroying rat race drudgery of the UK, with it's constant grey skies and exorbitant prices.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BREXIT!

So I moved to the village, got married, and never looked back.

Currently in the UK for a couple of months to sell my property, can't wait to get back though.

The incredibly slow and friendly way of life in Isaan is perfect for me. Completely different to the soul destroying rat race drudgery of the UK, with it's constant grey skies and exorbitant prices.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BREXIT!

Many been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
My advise would be, to always have a contingency plan as this is a crazy country that’s full of surprises. It’s getting dearer and dearer to live a good life here IMO.

47 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Many been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
My advise would be, to always have a contingency plan as this is a crazy country that’s full of surprises. It’s getting dearer and dearer to live a good life here IMO.

And your own country isn't...?  ????

And your own country isn't...?  [emoji848]

Yes it is, but the differences have greatly reduced and some items (like reasonable quality clothes) can be found cheaper in western shores than in LOS now, I believe.

Archived