BANGKOK 21 February 2019 04:42
pr9spk

Thinking of moving to Isaan

Yes it is, but the differences have greatly reduced and some items (like reasonable quality clothes) can be found cheaper in western shores than in LOS now, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least cloths that fit you...
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 4:52 PM, Goanna said:

Might I suggest that you take six months off, as a trial. See how you go. You will learn about the area, the people, and the lady. It will definately be different to what you are used to. I enjoy it, but it many wouldn't.

I guess that you are well settled into that new house by now mate.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:30 AM, spidermike007 said:

Change can be a very healthy thing. But prudence is also something to consider. I think you have hit on a good first option. Come for a month, and see how it feels. Not sure how well you know this woman you are referring to. My general rule of thumb is that it takes a good solid year of being with someone full time, before you really know who she is. You might want to consider doubling that, for a Thai woman. Many are very undeveloped emotionally, for their age, and really lack communication skills, even if they speak very good english. That all has to be considered. Always remember, time if your ally. It is not her ally. She is nearly always going to push the agenda. 

Issan has some very good qualities. There are some very nice areas up there, most of the people are warm and genuine, the standard of living is great, and it does have some things to offer. But, you have to decide if it is someplace you would want to live full time. I own land up there, and a home. But my wife and I only visit occasionally, and I figure I will not be living there most of the year, until I am at least 70 years old. Quite a few of the foreigners I know who live in Issan are fairly heavy drinkers. Most likely due to the intense boredom of everyday life?

And lastly, DO NOT invest money with a Thai friend or woman, unless you really get to know them well, beforehand. While some make out just fine, alot of guys have lost their money doing so. Granted, 90K baht is not alot of money. But, be careful, and take your time.

Concerning the farang heavy drinkers in Isaan. This is my worry, i am retired and strongly thinking moving to the Khukan-Sisaket area to be with my lady friend. However last year i spent a month in the area and did not meet one farang. Not having contact with an English speaking neighbour for the occasional 'chat and beer' i think would drive me "stir crazy"

• Like 1

Concerning the farang heavy drinkers in Isaan. This is my worry, i am retired and strongly thinking moving to the Khukan-Sisaket area to be with my lady friend. However last year i spent a month in the area and did not meet one farang. Not having contact with an English speaking neighbour for the occasional 'chat and beer' i think would drive me "stir crazy"

Think?

Certainly not for everyone.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:32 PM, pr9spk said:

Not sure if I mentioned this but I have somewhere in Thailand to stay for free, a sizeable chunk of cash when I sell my UK house, and probably less than 10 years before I kick the bucket.

Did you get health insurance in the UK ?

There are numerous farang styled restaurants/bars in & around Sisaket province. I cannot imagine one trip to town, where you didn’t meet a farang.
Pizza4you
Black dog bar
Hong Kong Garden
Living in the past
Pop -in
Cuckoos nest
Leo’s restaurant

To name a few!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change jobs and build your career, Thailand isnt going anywhere. You can visit whenever you have time off and build a relationship with it and uour friend over time.