BANGKOK
SteveK

Thinking of moving to Isaan

On 8/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, Goanna said:

Might I suggest that you take six months off, as a trial. See how you go. You will learn about the area, the people, and the lady. It will definately be different to what you are used to. I enjoy it, but it many wouldn't.

^^^ yep. keep yr house, rent it out under a short leasehold system, consider using agent in the uk for letting it out. not much ado around the areas you mentioned. kong chiam is a nice place to visit, as are the other 2 , but they are small places, you will be bored within weeks. and you need to be near the city if you are considering working as English teacher for any reasonable salary. 

yep, try it out for 6 months, with the assurance that you still have your house if things aren't quite what they seem. if you're here late December early January, bring a coat ! can get nippy

25 minutes ago, elliss said:

I avoid farlangs like the plaque , why travel 6000 miles to meet farlangs ..

yep, travel 6000 miles to read a kindle instead, fun city

I've travelled extensively thru isaan, I think u would do a swanny off a balcony shortly after arriving, SFA to do there.

perhaps try living there for a while first.

Why travel ‘ extensively’ through Isaan if it’s so grim?

Where was your final destination?

Just wondering??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, Ron jeremy said:

I've travelled extensively thru isaan, I think u would do a swanny off a balcony shortly after arriving, SFA to do there.

perhaps try living there for a while first.

Well not sure about a swanny, but your are correct about nothing to do.

It is 38km to the nearest 7/11 from my wife's village.

They speak an Isaan dialect, so have zero idea ever what ever anyone is saying?

I dread having to go there but I do.

Very poor place, just nothing around at all to do.

• Sad 1

Don't sell the house ever rent it out with A reputable agent who will take care of it for the management fee to take the headache away

Hi guys,

I am considering moving to Ubon Ratchathani province hopefully within the next 6 months.

My situation:
Have a first class masters degree from a good UK university.
Am 36 years old.
Own a house worth £369k with £220k left on the mortgage.
Have around £25k savings. Also about £8k worth of stuff that I can sell.
<deleted> off with current job and have left, <deleted> off with life in the UK in general.
Have a reasonable grasp of written and spoken Thai (but not really any Isaan).
Have just come back from several weeks staying in Khong Chiam, Pho Sai and Trakan Phuet Phon.

My question is, am I in a good enough position to consider the move? I have someone (Thai) who I can stay with for free initially. Income wise I have two options. She has said I can invest in her start-up shop for around 90k Baht which will give me somewhere to stay above the shop and will gets some money for helping out from time to time but obviously I don't think that's legal. Or I can look at teaching English, which shouldn't be a problem, I really enjoy languages, and hold a full clean motorcycle license to save money.

With regards to my house in the UK. I don't have family base I can stay at in the UK so if I sell it I am burning my bridges. I could rent it out, and I predict the rental, after deducting agency fees and mortgage will provide another 6k baht per month, with the added benefit that someone is paying my mortgage and I will have somewhere to come back to. But then obviously I won't get the big lump sum from the equity in my house.

Does anyone have any advice or questions?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Apiwan2 said:

Don't sell the house ever rent it out with A reputable agent who will take care of it for the management fee to take the headache away

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think the OP has has possibly burned that bridge already.

• Like 1

I have been to most Issan cities UR is the worst. Khon Kaen is better. More night life. Roi et is better. Udon Thani is better..Teaching English requires experience and qualifications for a half decent job.

Well not sure about a swanny, but your are correct about nothing to do.

It is 38km to the nearest 7/11 from my wife's village.

They speak an Isaan dialect, so have zero idea ever what ever anyone is saying?

I dread having to go there but I do.

Very poor place, just nothing around at all to do.

What’s “around to do” at inland villages 38km from the nearest shop in OTHER COUNTRIES around the world?

28 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I have been to most Issan cities UR is the worst. Khon Kaen is better. More night life. Roi et is better. Udon Thani is better..Teaching English requires experience and qualifications for a half decent job.

yep UR is the worst place on earth, heed the advice given by those who have never been here. stay away, I like UR just the way it is, too many fozzies here already... don't spoil it ...

pls go to UD, KK , SN, NR, MUK, in fact anywhere but the place I love...xx

On 8/12/2017 at 7:48 PM, VBF said:

None of my business, but consider whether your friend owns or has borrowed to buy the land/house/vehicles. Just saying.......:whistling:

...and the farang is to pay the installments.😁

It's almost certain that she is loaded with debt 

I would go for a rich woman if I was (A) Young, (B) from a 'tier 1' country (C) had 150 k sterling cash (D) Reasonably good looking ..and you got the first 3 reqs already.

She would probably be older but beats a dreary teaching job.

Set your sights high young man not the sewer like most farangs do.

...and the farang is to pay the installments. It's almost certain that she is loaded with debt    I would go for a rich woman if I was (A) Young, (B) from a 'tier 1' country  had 150 k sterling cash (D) Reasonably good looking ..and you got the first 3 reqs already.

She would probably be older but beats a dreary teaching job.

Set your sights high young man not the sewer like most farangs do.

Post error