Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

Sorry missed the 't' in front of here. He would pay no tax in the UK.
He would have no additional income from working in the UK as he will be in Thailand so he can make up to £11,200 before he pays tax

Even if you have to pay taxes, you still get to keep part of what you earn, yes?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Even if you have to pay taxes, you still get to keep part of what you earn, yes?

Not sure what you mean?

He will only pay tax if he earns more than £11,200 and only on the money over this amount

Everyone in the UK does not pay tax on the first £11,200 that they earn in each year

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Odds are if you're miserable in the U.K, you'll be miserable here.

Like the saying goes: "Problem is, everywhere I go, I have to take me with me."

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I agree with you. He has been given some excellent advice and insights yet he's going to be here sinfully quickly. My guess is that he's fallen for the first woman to say yes. He believes in her and has set his eyes on giving her amount of money to open a shop many people here cannot earn in a year.

This man has to fail to have any chance of succeeding if I am anywhere near right.

7 minutes ago, todlad said:

I agree with you. He has been given some excellent advice and insights yet he's going to be here sinfully quickly. My guess is that he's fallen for the first woman to say yes. He believes in her and has set his eyes on giving her amount of money to open a shop many people here cannot earn in a year.

This man has to fail to have any chance of succeeding if I am anywhere near right.

Maybe it is like an apprenticeship you have to gain both experience and knowledge to get your wings ?

I can easily understand young guys who come to Thailand and want to live happily everafter. They come over here with dreams and a pocket full of money. Eventually they come to realize that they no longer know everything. Their money eventually runs out and they come to the conclusion that they have not provided themselves an income to comfortably live out their retirement years. It's too late to build a retirement plan and they are too old to get a decent job. That is a fairly common problem. Simply take a look at the destitute old drunks who wander the streets of Pattaya. The answer is to live frugally, save money and build a retirement plan, then make the move. Yes, young guys say to enjoy life while you're young and don't worry about the future. The future will take care of itself. Unfortunately they too will get old and then what? The future will be here before they know it.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:41 PM, pr9spk said:

Pissed off with current job and have left, pissed off with life in the UK in general.

Having travelled a lot in my military career and have quite often meet up with colleagues in various locations, I have made a very interesting and enlightening observation.

Those who are pissed off with one location, very soon become pissed off with the next location.

Think about that before you 'burn your boats' OP.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:27 PM, mogandave said:

Odds are if you're miserable in the U.K, you'll be miserable here.

Like the saying goes: "Problem is, everywhere I go, I have to take me with me."

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My experience has been different here then. 

I hated never ever seeing the sun in the Netherlands, hated the fact it always started to rain two minutes after I decided  to go for a ride on my motorcycle. I see the sun here even during rainy season and when it rains it's warm and refreshing. 

I hated the nanny state where I was guaranteed a ticket the day my inspection sticker expired if I drove the car 1km to renew it. I hated always getting a parking ticket while I walked around to find a working meter. 

I hated the traffic and congestion and not being able to find a parking  spot. 

Here the parking is plentiful and free and I've never gotten a ticket. 

I hated all the petty crimes. I had a €400 helmet stolen twice that was locked to my bike and inside a secure parking garage at my house. I've had my windows busted and my car broken into four times in 18 years. 

Here I leave my helmet hanging off my mirror and even leave bags of things I've bought at one store when I park at another. 

I hated the overpriced things like €3 for a 200 ml bottle of water and paying €15 for a snack at a  run of the mill cafe. 

I didn't like the rude and pushy people who pushed onto teams before letting other people get off first and the people always trying to weasle their way to the front of lines. 

Thailand isn't perfect but I am much much happier here than there. I have the best wife in the world and my life improved for the better. I'd do it again. No regrets. 

I hated never ever seeing the sun in the Netherlands, hated the fact it always started to rain two minutes after I decided  to go for a ride on my motorcycle. I see the sun here even during rainy season and when it rains it's warm and refreshing. 

I hated the nanny state where I was guaranteed a ticket the day my inspection sticker expired if I drove the car 1km to renew it. I hated always getting a parking ticket while I walked around to find a working meter. 

I hated all the petty crimes. I had a €400 helmet stolen twice that was locked to my bike and inside a secure parking garage at my house. I've had my windows busted and my car broken into four times in 18 years. 

Here I leave my helmet hanging off my mirror and even leave bags of things I've bought at one store when I park at another. 

I hated the overpriced things like €3 for a 200 ml bottle of water and paying €15 for a snack at a  run of the mill cafe. 

I didn't like the rude and pushy people who pushed onto teams before letting other people get off first and the people always trying to weasle their way to the front of lines. 

Thailand isn't perfect but I am much much happier here than there. I have the best wife in the world and my life improved for the better. I'd do it again. No regrets. 

Spot on. We love Isaan for all of these reasons. Furthermore we have never needed to lock doors when we go out!

So you were miserable your whole life and then you got here you found happiness, I think that's great.

I was happy in California and I'm happy here. Money goes a little further here, weather and fishing is better there.

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So you were miserable your whole life and then you got here you found happiness, I think that's great.

I was happy in California and I'm happy here. Money goes a little further here, weather and fishing is better there.

Not my whole life, not even a third of it so far. I liked it for other reasons for a while and put up with the downsides. 

I liked the proximity to other countries and was able to add another 20 to the list of countries I'd visited. 

I enjoyed the 10-20 days of summer there each year and as long as you don't mind gray skies and lots of rain and a population density like Manhatten, there are a lot of positive things about the country, especially if you're dependent on government handouts. 

Another factor was the constant aches I had in the bones I'd broken in a motorcycle accident. 

The cold, damp weather there left me in constant pain. In Thailand I don't even notice it. I'm happy in Barcelona, Maui and Natal too but not so much in Amsterdam. 

Once the negatives outweighed the positives, I was out of there. 

Not my whole life, not even a third of it so far. I liked it for other reasons for a while and put up with the downsides. 
I liked the proximity to other countries and was able to add another 20 to the list of countries I'd visited. 

I enjoyed the 10-20 days of summer there each year and as long as you don't mind gray skies and lots of rain and a population density like Manhatten, there are a lot of positive things about the country, especially if you're dependent on government handouts. 

Another factor was the constant aches I had in the bones I'd broken in a motorcycle accident. 

The cold, damp weather there left me in constant pain. In Thailand I don't even notice it. I'm happy in Barcelona, Maui and Natal too but not so much in Amsterdam. 

Once the negatives outweighed the positives, I was out of there. 

So you weren't miserable there.

On 13/08/2017 at 3:49 PM, AGLV0121 said:

Interesting, have you deducted the taxes?

Am not familiar with England but in Canada, I'd never rent out for profit, taxes would absorb any eventual profit. Railing down even the thought of it. Some do, don't know how they get an income from it. 

The first 11k are tax free. and its 20% tax leaving 80% profit. Renting your place out is the smart option. 

14 hours ago, at15 said:

does anyone know where the best air quality is in isaan?      

Difficult to answer but where I am the lung puffer I used in the UK for years was in the bin after a very short time....Huai Wangnong Reservoir area....:smile:....Which is 10 minutes from the airport and about 20 for Town/Tesco...

Living Isaan for more than a few weeks is tough.  There are ways to generate an income, but will you be happy living in a village with roosters and no 7/11?  I find it difficult because there are no farang conveniences and you must know Thai to get around.

Living Isaan for more than a few weeks is tough.  There are ways to generate an income, but will you be happy living in a village with roosters and no 7/11?  I find it difficult because there are no farang conveniences and you must know Thai to get around.

No 7/11 in Unon ? I'd be surprised as they are everywhere else I've been in Issan.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, james1995 said:

The whole of Issan is village, roosters and no 7/11???

Were you sitting in a Pattaya bar when you wrote that? 

10 hours ago, james1995 said:

What a load of nonsense.

I live in an Issan village 3 ks to town,, love it.

No  7/11s? 4 within 4 ks of here. my Thai is limited, never have a problem being understood by locals.

Farang conveniences, no problem, if i want farang pies, easy home pies/ Buriram pieman.

Bacon/ English sausage nookies delights, easy.

If a person same as me(paraplegic) can enjoy living here, no problem for abled bodied people.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

The whole of Issan is village, roosters and no 7/11???

Were you sitting in a Pattaya bar when you wrote that? 

You need to define or understand what is meant by a village.

Our village has 42 houses, a village shop and a petrol pump.

Nearest town with 7/11 is 15 minutes away.

Rent and see what your neighbors are like before you buy anything !!!! Trying to solve any noise, dog, drunk yaa baa head problems is not going to happen. Im so fed up with the mai pen rai attitude here my house is for sale, and the plane ticket is not far behind. When people dont respect themselves, let alone anyone else how can you expect to have a decent life in a village.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:04 AM, Squeegee said:

This guy seems pretty clueless, quite frankly.

"You won't understand one word..."

Spoken like a typical foreigner who never worked hard to learn the language: if he had done so he may have had something useful and worthwhile to say rather than misinformation.

Reality is, the Isaan dialect has many similarities with central Thai, particularly the number system. If you can speak some Thaiyou will already have a start on Isaan dialect. A little of both can really open doors and result in unique and amazing experiences beyond thes cope of people like the fellow in the quote.

What that guy calls 'an educated person' is, by his own description, someone with no inner resources or interests in life to inspire himself.

If you are like him, stay in Pattaya or on Sukhumvit, but if you are interested in languages like you say you have the potential to experience some of the best things Thailand has to offer.

Don't invest what you can't afford to lose and don't burn your bridges with back home.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. English probably has similarities to Chinese right? 

Who was talking about learning the language? Not me, so why make up stories?

"Reality is, the Isaan dialect has many similarities with central Thai, particularly the number system" and I am sure running around Isaan talking about numbers is something of value?

You are a complete idiot. 

Archived