Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. English probably has similarities to Chinese right? 

Who was talking about learning the language? Not me, so why make up stories?

"Reality is, the Isaan dialect has many similarities with central Thai, particularly the number system" and I am sure running around Isaan talking about numbers is something of value?

You are a complete idiot. 

Name-calling and an inability to back up the nonsense falling out of your vapid mouth.

"You don't have a clue what you are talking about."

Often spouted by mediocrities who then don't follow up: "English probably has similarities to Chinese right?" - this is irrelevant and makes you look stupid. You have failed to make any intelligent point at all.

"Who was talking about learning the language? Not me, so why make up stories?"

Since you are not very bright, I will put you out of your misery: you were saying a foreigner cannot understand a word of the Isaan dialect... and that is about language learning, it certainly isn't the topic of horse-racing or flights to Singapore, is it?

"...and I am sure running around Isaan talking about numbers is something of value?"

Once again, off-topic nonsense, failing to understand basic principles of communication and life experience. Or, to put it bluntly for a blunt mind to fathom: 'running around Isaan talking about numbers' is not what I was posting about.

As I said, stick to the tourist areas where you can cope. You have no chance of ever learning the language if the brain-power shown in your post is anything to go by.

You know, it's boring to respond to such a mindless, content-free post, you'll need to do much better if you want to keep my attention.

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. English probably has similarities to Chinese right? 

Who was talking about learning the language? Not me, so why make up stories?

"Reality is, the Isaan dialect has many similarities with central Thai, particularly the number system" and I am sure running around Isaan talking about numbers is something of value?

You are a complete idiot. 

In reality Thai is spoken throughout Issan. 

Issan in general is populated by bilingual and trilingual people. Absolutely no reason why you won't be understood speaking "Central Thai".

3 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Issan language is more akin to lao than thai. The sad thing is I have met many people from bkk that are offended by people from issan speaking their native language. But bkk people forcing their will on others is normal.

You really should modify your first sentence to read " one of the Issan languages". There are several, you know. 

Living in Isaan folk always ask me can you speak Thai, I reply "Bor" (Lao no) with a smile, they then ask can you speak Lao, I reply "Mai" (Thai no) with a smile, it usually causes a laugh.

Isaan folk speak many dialects of Lao/Isaan and they all understand each other, even understand Thai. Mrs.Trans is Isaan but speaks Thai if we are down south unless someone talks to her in Lao/Isaan..:smile:

Do not need to be able to speak Thai or Laos to live in Isaan. Will it make your life easier? Well that is dependent on your lifestyle/what you want to get out of the place. Yeah, sure, it may help you with the odd thing, but it will also create mind numbing conversations with the neighbours about the exciting subjects of food and the like. So really, it is probably best to weigh up the pros/cons. 

Walking the dog through the village each day I am thankful that I do not speak Thai or the dog would be very frustrated stopping every 30 seconds. You can get pretty much all you need without speaking Thai. The most important things like health, well many doctors speak a good enough level of English. For other things, if they are so important then most people's Thai would not be at a high enough level to justify the importance anyway and probably stuff whatever it is up.

Isaan is a great place to live. I live on the village outskirts so it is mostly farm area (very pretty in rice season). but only 3-4kms from the main city with your Tesco, Big C, Makro, Global, HomePro etc. Easy to get around, cheap, not much traffic, government services and work opportunities are all very close. 

10 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Do not need to be able to speak Thai or Laos to live in Isaan. Will it make your life easier? Well that is dependent on your lifestyle/what you want to get out of the place. Yeah, sure, it may help you with the odd thing, but it will also create mind numbing conversations with the neighbours about the exciting subjects of food and the like. So really, it is probably best to weigh up the pros/cons. 

Walking the dog through the village each day I am thankful that I do not speak Thai or the dog would be very frustrated stopping every 30 seconds. You can get pretty much all you need without speaking Thai. The most important things like health, well many doctors speak a good enough level of English. For other things, if they are so important then most people's Thai would not be at a high enough level to justify the importance anyway and probably stuff whatever it is up.

Isaan is a great place to live. I live on the village outskirts so it is mostly farm area (very pretty in rice season). but only 3-4kms from the main city with your Tesco, Big C, Makro, Global, HomePro etc. Easy to get around, cheap, not much traffic, government services and work opportunities are all very close. 

Perhaps you can get pretty much all you need without speaking Thai, but I do not want to be dependent on others. Take your motorcycle in to the local bike mechanic and try explaining the problem in English - it doesn't work. You need to take a Thai speaker with you. Go to hospital and talk to the doctors,  while many speak English to one level or another, you will find that if you are decent in Thai language you can often get much more information from them instead of just the basics. I have found that most doctors are relieved when they know I speak Thai and open up a lot more.

Renewing my motorbike registration and insurance, communicating with officials at the local district office, land office, etc. is no longer a frustrating experience and one where you need to rely on others. I do these things myself and do not need to be dependent on my wife. 

PS I barely speak with my neighbours, just smile, nod my head or say good morning.

Sure, when you get here, you can live comfortably enough without speaking the language, but as you live here longer and you invest time in learning the language to a reasonable level of competency many more things open up to you. It becomes a different place.    

On 8/21/2017 at 0:05 PM, mogandave said:

Apparently it's 100% in Canada

Apparently. I am a Canadian citizen but worked and lived in the US.

Healthcare represents a large part (~40%) of the budget of each province.

The incidence of my tax contribution is much higher than what I pay for in the US.

Plus: In Canada, I go to a hospital ready to spend a day-long wait. Less if really urgent, but to say.

And half-day to see a private doctor, whereas I wait a maximum of 10 minutes in the US.

Plus quality of medicine which I think is better in the US: they have a better ability to diagnose than Canadian counterparts who require endless tests before attempting to diagnose.

True: in Canada, you wait four months or more for a scan, 8 months for an MRI. In Quebec that is.

To register at a walk-in clinic, you wait 1.5 hour in line outside from 6:30AM to 8, register and then you go back home and come back at 9 when dr pops in.

Unbelieveble? Plus two dr.s are in charge of the province!

Just now, GarryP said:

Perhaps you can get pretty much all you need without speaking Thai, but I do not want to be dependent on others. Take your motorcycle in to the local bike mechanic and try explaining the problem in English - it doesn't work. You need to take a Thai speaker with you. Go to hospital and talk to the doctors,  while many speak English to one level or another, you will find that if you are decent in Thai language you can often get much more information from them instead of just the basics. I have found that most doctors are relieved when they know I speak Thai and open up a lot more.

Renewing my motorbike registration and insurance, communicating with officials at the local district office, land office, etc. is no longer a frustrating experience and one where you need to rely on others. I do these things myself and do not need to be dependent on my wife. 

PS I barely speak with my neighbours, just smile, nod my head or say good morning.

Sure, when you get here, you can live comfortably enough without speaking the language, but as you live here longer and you invest time in learning the language to a reasonable level of competency many more things open up to you. It becomes a different place.    

The doctors I consider of a competent enough level to treat my family and I speak very good English. Even when I take my baby in for vaccines the doctor speaks to me about her development, not my wife. They love it, as they do not get to do it on a daily basis. Many will also ask for your services to help out their children so a good, close relationship is formed that is purely based around 'English'. 

All of those things you mentioned are not tasks that rely on people. They are quick tasks, tasks that are performed once a year that are actually directed at the Mrs anyway - as other than potentially vehicles, they are in her name. Anything more important should have a conversation before a decision is made anyway. 

In saying that, I can go up to my local government offices and speak English. I work for the city Tessaban, and on the odd occasion do work for my own Tessaban also. For those who are really having trouble with it, they probably find they can just write down the problem. As government officials have passed the English test so can write, but have just had no experiences with speaking. 

Like I said, people need to weigh up the pros/cons. For some, being able to speak Thai will be a huge advantage, but it seems the theme on this forum is very negative towards the people who don't. Which I really cannot comprehend why, as again, for many it is not that difficult to get by everyday life without speaking Thai. 

9 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

The doctors I consider of a competent enough level to treat my family and I speak very good English. Even when I take my baby in for vaccines the doctor speaks to me about her development, not my wife. They love it, as they do not get to do it on a daily basis. Many will also ask for your services to help out their children so a good, close relationship is formed that is purely based around 'English'. 

All of those things you mentioned are not tasks that rely on people. They are quick tasks, tasks that are performed once a year that are actually directed at the Mrs anyway - as other than potentially vehicles, they are in her name. Anything more important should have a conversation before a decision is made anyway. 

In saying that, I can go up to my local government offices and speak English. I work for the city Tessaban, and on the odd occasion do work for my own Tessaban also. For those who are really having trouble with it, they probably find they can just write down the problem. As government officials have passed the English test so can write, but have just had no experiences with speaking. 

Like I said, people need to weigh up the pros/cons. For some, being able to speak Thai will be a huge advantage, but it seems the theme on this forum is very negative towards the people who don't. Which I really cannot comprehend why, as again, for many it is not that difficult to get by everyday life without speaking Thai. 

I have been to kids English seminars in Isaan for a bit of fun, just so they can hear a Londoner talk...:stoner:.....I can tell you the controllers have a problem conversing with me with my best English....:smile:

34 minutes ago, transam said:

I have been to kids English seminars in Isaan for a bit of fun, just so they can hear a Londoner talk...:stoner:.....I can tell you the controllers have a problem conversing with me with my best English....:smile:

Yep, most English teachers are shocking. The actual officials for your everyday stuff aren't that bad as generally to get that level of education in the first place they had a structured education, and keep more up to date. Explains the class disparity in the country if you like.

Where it falls down with teachers is that the education union is quite strong here compared to other departments, so officials within it are incredibly lazy/couldn't care less so go backwards very fast. 

Generally, there is at least one good English speaker in each office. My wife deals with all farang issues at her government workplace for instance, even if it has nothing to do with her portfolio. And if there isn't, then I'm sure members partners can take the few minutes out of their time once or twice a year. Not a huge deal.

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Yep, most English teachers are shocking. The actual officials for your everyday stuff aren't that bad as generally to get that level of education in the first place they had a structured education, and keep more up to date. Explains the class disparity in the country if you like.

Where it falls down with teachers is that the education union is quite strong here compared to other departments, so officials within it are incredibly lazy/couldn't care less so go backwards very fast. 

Generally, there is at least one good English speaker in each office. My wife deals with all farang issues at her government workplace for instance, even if it has nothing to do with her portfolio. And if there isn't, then I'm sure members partners can take the few minutes out of their time once or twice a year. Not a huge deal.

Must say that when I have a 3BB prob and phone BKK the Thai staff are excellent, understand everything....:smile:

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

If I intend to live in a foreign country, I believe I should at least make some effort to learn the local language.  And from my own experience I have found life so much easier since I learned the language. Perhaps the examples I gave are not so applicable to you, but aren't car repairs, trips to hardware stores, understanding what officialdom requires, etc. important parts of our lives. You can own a car as a foreigner, so insurance and registration can be in your name.  Also, I definitely do not wish to rely on others for everything and have to use someone else as an interpreter of what is being said.  

I think as you drift through the threads on TV, you will find that quite a lot of people have become too reliant on their wives, and do not know what is going on around them because of this. Their wives also do not translate all that is being said and can be very selective in what they reveal. This becomes a non-issue once you speak the language. I am not saying that all wives are bad, but a good number of the sad stories we read about foreign men losing everything and being kicked into touch by the wife involve foreigners who cannot speak the language, are totally reliant on their wives for nearly everything and do not know what is going on around them.  They have lost all independence, something that both wives and husbands need to retain to a certain degree. 

Having said that I wish you all the best in your life with your wife and new child.  You certainly seem to have landed on your feet and are off to a much better start than most of us.   

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If I intend to live in a foreign country, I believe I should at least make some effort to learn the local language.  And from my own experience I have found life so much easier since I learned the language. Perhaps the examples I gave are not so applicable to you, but aren't car repairs, trips to hardware stores, understanding what officialdom requires, etc. important parts of our lives. You can own a car as a foreigner, so insurance and registration can be in your name.  Also, I definitely do not wish to rely on others for everything and have to use someone else as an interpreter of what is being said.  

I think as you drift through the threads on TV, you will find that quite a lot of people have become too reliant on their wives, and do not know what is going on around them because of this. Their wives also do not translate all that is being said and can be very selective in what they reveal. This becomes a non-issue once you speak the language. I am not saying that all wives are bad, but a good number of the sad stories we read about foreign men losing everything and being kicked into touch by the wife involve foreigners who cannot speak the language, are totally reliant on their wives for nearly everything and do not know what is going on around them.  They have lost all independence, something that both wives and husbands need to retain to a certain degree. 

Having said that I wish you all the best in your life with your wife and new child.  You certainly seem to have landed on your feet and are off to a much better start than most of us.   

As a Londoner I failed the "Ordinary" level English exam....Don't know why but I did...Perhaps I go to pieces at exams....:stoner:......But, my communication skills in whatever country l have been to have been great, using face, hands, all that stuff has got me through with a smile..

In LOS I have basic stuff, but for sure if l started talking Thai and didn't have the words to provide a perfect explanation to what l was trying to say then there would be lots of scratching of heads....

One thing I do know the ladies do not like a farang they know understands Thai and what they are talking about.....ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.99196b9429cb400114c42e016bc94886.png

35 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Expectations about language are set by governments, not individuals. My friends have married foreigners in Australia and the government provided them language courses. My sister now lives in Sweden, she was provided language courses. Thai is more about the number in the bank account.

Again personal circumstances are all different. A trip to a hardware store usually takes either walking around for 5 minutes or a simple image shown on the phone and the 4,000 staff can take you to where the product is. Other things mentioned are really not my focus/interest, or are so irregular they are insignificant. 

My focus, especially since having kids and animals in risky environments, is more science related issues. Best times to vaccinate your children, dogs etc. Seeing as the majority of 'Bachelor' educated Thai people can pass the English component of the Thai test and NOT the Thai language component, then I know the level of Thai I would need to speak to discuss these things would take a long time to learn. So I discuss them in English. 

Again, I think well done to those who can speak Thai. Some people can pick the basic form up. Even just living here you will pick up bits and pieces, I am unfortunately at the point now where I can understand a lot of topics of what is being discussed. However, I just feel the negative views that always come up on this forum re language are completely unjustified. It is like the pink ID, maybe can help you but by no means is it needed. 

Having a Mrs who ranked second for Thai language in M6 (in the country) and has since been used by the government in Malaysia regularly and for educational news purposes due to her language skills, the general reaction by her from farang who claim to speak Thai is one of a complex look. It is by far not an easy language to fully get. Just look at the last referendum for example, even half the native population weren't educated enough to comprehend a yes/no question. 

Expectations about language are set by governments, not individuals. My friends have married foreigners in Australia and the government provided them language courses. My sister now lives in Sweden, she was provided language courses. Thai is more about the number in the bank account.

Again personal circumstances are all different. A trip to a hardware store usually takes either walking around for 5 minutes or a simple image shown on the phone and the 4,000 staff can take you to where the product is. Other things mentioned are really not my focus/interest, or are so irregular they are insignificant. 

My focus, especially since having kids and animals in risky environments, is more science related issues. Best times to vaccinate your children, dogs etc. Seeing as the majority of 'Bachelor' educated Thai people can pass the English component of the Thai test and NOT the Thai language component, then I know the level of Thai I would need to speak to discuss these things would take a long time to learn. So I discuss them in English. 

Again, I think well done to those who can speak Thai. Some people can pick the basic form up. Even just living here you will pick up bits and pieces, I am unfortunately at the point now where I can understand a lot of topics of what is being discussed. However, I just feel the negative views that always come up on this forum re language are completely unjustified. It is like the pink ID, maybe can help you but by no means is it needed. 

Having a Mrs who ranked second for Thai language in M6 (in the country) and has since been used by the government in Malaysia regularly and for educational news purposes due to her language skills, the general reaction by her from farang who claim to speak Thai is one of a complex look. It is by far not an easy language to fully get. Just look at the last referendum for example, even half the native population weren't educated enough to comprehend a yes/no question. 

Thai test to become an official*.

I also would like to thank you for your wishes :).

7 minutes ago, craftyhen said:

No business earning enough money or shouldn't live here altogether? Idiotic comment if it's the latter

Agree with your conclusion. I came here at 19 and still here at close to 55. Earning enough for a good life. One of the admin on TV came about the same time as me and still here. He is living a good life too.

Plenty of people of a variety of ages make a go of it here.

Thoroughly agree with what Gary P said about the importance of learning Thai. This is in order to understand what is happening around one and not to be dependent on others to translate and help out. No need to be Thai language perfect, but at least have a basic understanding. In many instances over the years I have seen “farangs” totally relying on their wives to translate. That would be okay if the wives spoke, read and wrote good English. But in many cases they don’t. What I hear is some sort of pidgin English.

What I don’t understand is this. Here we have retired farangs who can not speak Thai. They either don’t have enough time to learn Thai or can’t be bothered. At the same time they can not even be bothered to teach their wives proper English. What do they talk about together?

1 hour ago, Michael Hare said:

Thoroughly agree with what Gary P said about the importance of learning Thai. This is in order to understand what is happening around one and not to be dependent on others to translate and help out. No need to be Thai language perfect, but at least have a basic understanding. In many instances over the years I have seen “farangs” totally relying on their wives to translate. That would be okay if the wives spoke, read and wrote good English. But in many cases they don’t. What I hear is some sort of pidgin English.

What I don’t understand is this. Here we have retired farangs who can not speak Thai. They either don’t have enough time to learn Thai or can’t be bothered. At the same time they can not even be bothered to teach their wives proper English. What do they talk about together?

Can't be bothered  -  futile.

Any Farang who is vaguely fluent in Thai is treated with mistrust and the language quickly moves to Khmer (or Laos depending where you live).

I stick to ordering food & drink and occasional domestic purchases. Many Thais are often more comfortable if you just point.

Your mileage may vary, ignore these comments if your regular communication is with Hi-So Thais.

5 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

I think it is a massive oversimplification. I had to work with a group of 50+ age group not long ago, it is not easy trying to teach them. The brain's ability to absorb new information is on its last legs and some people just find it difficult to learn a new language. It has got to a point where a simple brain scan now can determine the success of someone learning a new language - why age is so important as the brain is still being wired.

You will get your odd success story that I'm sure someone will come along and say, but the majority of cases don't work out like that. It is explained by science, not how much one can be 'bothered'. 

Obviously people marry for various reasons, doesn't mean we should look down on them. It's a choice they made, they will have to live through potentially certain more stresses for that choice, but obviously they find some sort of comfort in the choice.

For them to have a proper verbal conversation, the level of language they would need to learn is more than basic I would think. Most farang have picked up a basic form of Thai from the odd conscious memory (children/some young adults can pick it up through unconscious learning). I wouldn't constitute that as enough to have a half decent conversation for many. Would take some serious years/structured learning and still due to variables such as age will not work. 

Interestingly enough the weird English we hear is almost exactly the weird Thai that they hear when farang try to learn Thai. Usually they will pick it up from context, like we do, rather than accuracy of tone or correct pronunciation.

5 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think it is a massive oversimplification. I had to work with a group of 50+ age group not long ago, it is not easy trying to teach them. The brain's ability to absorb new information is on its last legs and some people just find it difficult to learn a new language. It has got to a point where a simple brain scan now can determine the success of someone learning a new language - why age is so important as the brain is still being wired.

You will get your odd success story that I'm sure someone will come along and say, but the majority of cases don't work out like that. It is explained by science, not how much one can be 'bothered'. 

Obviously people marry for various reasons, doesn't mean we should look down on them. It's a choice they made, they will have to live through potentially certain more stresses for that choice, but obviously they find some sort of comfort in the choice.

For them to have a proper verbal conversation, the level of language they would need to learn is more than basic I would think. Most farang have picked up a basic form of Thai from the odd conscious memory (children/some young adults can pick it up through unconscious learning). I wouldn't constitute that as enough to have a half decent conversation for many. Would take some serious years/structured learning and still due to variables such as age will not work. 

Interestingly enough the weird English we hear is almost exactly the weird Thai that they hear when farang try to learn Thai. Usually they will pick it up from context, like we do, rather than accuracy of tone or correct pronunciation.

Your last paragraph should contain adverbs of frequency. There are many expats who speak good Thai. I came her 19 years ago at 28 year old.  There was near zero English being spoken. In order to get on one had to speak Thai. 

I am more than happy to meet up and speak to your wife to prove the point that not all expats speak "weird Thai". 

35 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Your last paragraph should contain adverbs of frequency. There are many expats who speak good Thai. I came her 19 years ago at 28 year old.  There was near zero English being spoken. In order to get on one had to speak Thai. 

I am more than happy to meet up and speak to your wife to prove the point that not all expats speak "weird Thai". 

A lot of expats speak a basic level of Thai that is understood by context, I wouldn't say many speak a 'good' or high level of Thai that is perfectly understood. I'm sure some do, but it would be the most tiniest of minorities.

But, again, that comes down to what people are wanting to communicate about. Many native Thai struggle with a lot of their own language. It is why Bachelor educated Thai cannot even pass the Thai component, but can pass the English to become an official. It was why the biggest criticism of the last referendum was the fact the native popuation wasn't educated enough to comprehend the conversation - regardless of political silences. 

Throw in the fact that most expats are over 50, and the undisputed science that learning a language is that much more difficult for that age, then the point stands. Incorrect tone/pronunciation would be found to be the majority.

If it comes down to taking 20 odd years plus structured learning to comprehend the more complex conversations (which isn't even enough for many Thai), then I think my original stance remains, a person does not be able to speak the language to live here. Unless, like I said at the beginning, they like to endure mind numbing conversations. 

A lot of expats speak a basic level of Thai that is understood by context, I wouldn't say many speak a 'good' or high level of Thai that is perfectly understood. I'm sure some do, but it would be the most tiniest of minorities.

But, again, that comes down to what people are wanting to communicate about. Many native Thai struggle with a lot of their own language. It is why Bachelor educated Thai cannot even pass the Thai component, but can pass the English to become an official. It was why the biggest criticism of the last referendum was the fact the native popuation wasn't educated enough to comprehend the conversation - regardless of political silences. 

Throw in the fact that most expats are over 50, and the undisputed science that learning a language is that much more difficult for that age, then the point stands. Incorrect tone/pronunciation would be found to be the majority.

If it comes down to taking 20 odd years plus structured learning to comprehend the more complex conversations (which isn't even enough for many Thai), then I think my original stance remains, a person does not be able to speak the language to live here. Unless, like I said at the beginning, they like to endure mind numbing conversations. 

But you are not in that demographic so is your sole excuse that your wife can speak English? You are a young man on a new journey in your life. Shouldn't you be able to understand what your daughter is saying as she starts to learn the language. A perfect opportunity for you to learn too.

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

The immersion method. That is how I learnt to speak Thai. There is no such thing as a difficult language if you use this method of learning. 

If the local language is the ONLY one being spoken then you will learn. 

I think your veiws on the Thai populatios' grasp of Thai has been distorted by the hiso crowd you appear to mingle with.

Nothing new there now,  is there? The haves putting down the have nots. 

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

The immersion method. That is how I learnt to speak Thai. There is no such thing as a difficult language if you use this method of learning. 

If the local language is the ONLY one being spoken then you will learn. 

I think your veiws on the Thai populatios' grasp of Thai has been distorted by the hiso crowd you appear to mingle with.

Nothing new there now,  is there? The haves putting down the have nots. 

I really don't have any issues with people who speak Thai, the issues is the expectations they feel they need to place on other members to learn it. Like I said, I have learnt some Thai. I am at a point now where I can understand basic Thai. However, the importance placed on members by other members to learn a level of Thai that is not that easy for many, I believe, is unjustified in today's society. To the members who have, fantastic, but it is not necessarily for the majority. It is why I likened it to the Pink ID, as many love that issue as well. Sure, it can help some people, but the majority get by just fine without it. 

As far as the immersion method, there is such a thing as 'difficulties' for some - numerous studies based around second language and brain MRI scans. Take the Australian Federal Police for example. Groups of officers go into full immersion mode and they pick the best officers to travel to the countries they need to go to. Some people pick it up easily, others fail miserably as one of my old tutors did. 

Seeing as it was the electoral commission that made the comments at the time regarding the level of Thai conversation required (re referendum), I don't think it necessarily extends to the people I hang out with. It was purely an issue that the department faced and recognised the country had failed its people in terms of education. 

But if we are to bring that up then one only needs to look at the international and national test scores. Thai students on average pass 1 in 5 exams. They do not score well on things like international PISA rankings (test is conducted in native languages). Unfortunately, that is one reason why the country is divided. The 'hiso' crowd do get some sort of structure in education, the rest do not - so even naturally gifted students sadly are failed unless put through a structured education. All it takes is a visit to the local school to see that. 

I think my views are not necessarily distorted, seeing as it deemed as a constant issue by various departments. I feel the level of Thai most farang can speak is just incredibly basic - which can only serve them so much depending on what they want to achieve. 

Archived