Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, transam said:

where l live now in LOS the air is OK

If for Chiang Mai, I know places where the air is clean: Mae Rim for instance. It makes one suffer less during the dreaded "burning weeds" season.

I chose Bangkok because I could meet people through meeting people with similar interests - IT in my case (meetup.com)

But all-in-all, in Europe, I'll be closer to family. Yes, everything is a few hours flight away but ... 14 hours in an aircraft is far from my definition of comfort.

On 8/12/2017 at 2:01 PM, MadMuhammad said:

You'll always get a deluge of negativity on TV mate. But there are a few good nuggets among the burnt, pessimistic comments. Just take the good bits that pop up and take note of what can go wrong from the rest. Remember life is what you make it, just stay on your toes and remember only you care as much about your life as you do and there's no real safety net in Thailand for foreigners.

How true is that!

The OP is young enough to get cheap travel/medical insurance but I would definitely rent the house out. If you don't have somebody you can trust pay the extra for an agent.

With savings and an income why restrict yourself to just Thailand? It's a great stopping off point for a lot of Asia and flying there from Bangkok is pretty damn cheap. Travel on your own or with your girlfriend. You have a lot of choices but don't sell that house!

I went off to work on the cruise liners for three years when I was 19 to get rid of my itchy feet and still love to travel. Now I do it with my Thai wife from Issan.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:11 PM, Michael Hare said:

PR9SK..Go with your heart. I have been here in Thailand  for 10 years and 7 in Issan. Its what you make of it. I live in Ubon Ratchathani and Ubon is a wonderful place to live. If you like the bars etc then you can get on a plane and go almost direct there. After you get your rocks off then head back to the real Thailand.  I am 60 years old and I really wish I came here 20 years ago. I live a normal life with my wife and could not ask for more. I have a nice house which in Australia would cost a bomb  and live a very happy life and in Ubon. There are many terrific activities as the local Hash Group, cinemas, pubs, a ton of restaurants,  great friends and the list goes on. I see a recommendation by Michael about a good position at the biggest university is on offer so there are job prospects for you. My personal feeling is... if you don't give it a go, then at some later date maybe you will regret  it.

Go with your heart. All the best.

Agree with everything John says. Come and give it a go. I first came when I was 24 and worked in the northeast for 6 years. Returned to my own country for 14 years and returned to live and work in Ubon in 1994. Been here ever since. I posted a job at the university because these jobs are rare. It doesn't involve teaching but the minimum requirement is a Masters degree which you have. I would contact them now. Send in your CV. See what happens.  If you are willing to contribute to life here in Ubon, you will find it a great place to live in. 

Just curious. A non-teaching degree with master's degree? Research or consulting?

6 hours ago, kunfish said:

Just curious. A non-teaching degree with master's degree? Research or consulting?

Non-teaching. Doing documentation for the International Affairs apartment and designing special courses. Once in a while may have to teach a special course for post-grad students but only for a few hours. I have heard that interviews were held two weeks ago and the job has been taken. Apply again in 10-20 years.

2 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Non-teaching. Doing documentation for the International Affairs apartment and designing special courses. Once in a while may have to teach a special course for post-grad students but only for a few hours. I have heard that interviews were held two weeks ago and the job has been taken. Apply again in 10-20 years.

Ok, interesting. I suppose teaching university students, though, is better than teaching non-university. I've been randomly interviewed by Thai university students in a couple of cities and they come across as motivated, or at least interesting to interact with. Unfortunately, teaching English generally sounds like a difficult/tiring profession, even at the university level.

There is the option of teaching English online with one-on-one lessons. Pay is okay and you only have to deal with one student whose probably pretty motivated to learn. And you can sit down in front of your computer in air conditioned surroundings and have no commute to deal with or sitting around at the school all day long.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, wildewillie89 said:

The assumption being that she will not be taught English? That I do not interact with her on a daily basis? That she is not of an age where were brain is still being wired? 

Again, I have no issues with naturally learning the language, as I have said many times. However, the time spent to learn the language at a competent enough level, that I will see some actual use for, I can see far better uses for to further develop my children...rather than myself. Those conversations I have with Thai people speak a sufficient enough level of English. Which is fantastic. Seeing as the kid will be surrounded by Thai on a social level, it would be counter productive as a bilingual student if I solely spoke Thai to her at a home level. 

Everyone obviously has different experiences/needs of course. 

I'd prefer to speak to Thais in English. I'm learning Thai outside of Thailand, but will only have a basic understanding to go shopping and such. Having been around people with English as a second language all my life, I feel I have a skill to communicate and understand pretty well what others are trying to say. This is can be an ego boost for them, a Thai person speaking English and communicating. Sometimes you run into Thai university students at random places, like temples, and you are asked to be interviewed and the kids get a kick out of the interviews while they practice their English. It's a lot of fun.

My wife didn't speak English when we met, nor for a few years after we married.  I learned enough Thai language by immersion to know that she was the one.  That was 37 yeas ago.

We went back to the USA and she learned English.  Our two boys never learned Thai, unfortunately.

On visits to Thailand, I found it very useful to speak with vendors in the market and explain about how my Luk Kreung children didn't speak Thai.  I learned a lot of Thai language by wandering around a small town and talking to shopkeepers sitting out front in the evening hours.  Communication is essential.

11 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My wife didn't speak English when we met, nor for a few years after we married.  I learned enough Thai language by immersion to know that she was the one.  That was 37 yeas ago.

We went back to the USA and she learned English.  Our two boys never learned Thai, unfortunately.

On visits to Thailand, I found it very useful to speak with vendors in the market and explain about how my Luk Kreung children didn't speak Thai.  I learned a lot of Thai language by wandering around a small town and talking to shopkeepers sitting out front in the evening hours.  Communication is essential.

My wife knew English from college and she was okay with it as she has to use English working in government. She's been in the USA for 3 years and her English has improved immensely. I need to buck down and learn Thai each day as I like to wander around and chat with people. Would be good to be able to chat.

Living in Thailand, like anywhere, is often a mixed bag. Different places and different points in our lives may make some places better than others - to us. After 5 two-week trips to Thailand, it doesn't feel foreign anymore. It feels like anyplace. 

My wife and I want to move back, retired, just to do something and be somewhere different. There are upsides to Thailand for my wife and I and plan to be back there in about 3 years for specific reasons. 

The point is that it really helps if people have a really good sense of themselves. If they do, they are bound to make good decisions. At least better decisions. Such as where to live, work to do, and a partner in life.

There is no hurry to meeting and committing to a long-term relationship. People need to take their time until they are certain they are of sound mind to make an informed, and good, decision.

11 hours ago, kunfish said:

I'd prefer to speak to Thais in English. I'm learning Thai outside of Thailand, but will only have a basic understanding to go shopping and such. Having been around people with English as a second language all my life, I feel I have a skill to communicate and understand pretty well what others are trying to say. This is can be an ego boost for them, a Thai person speaking English and communicating. Sometimes you run into Thai university students at random places, like temples, and you are asked to be interviewed and the kids get a kick out of the interviews while they practice their English. It's a lot of fun.

I get what you mean. I was pretty close with the Thai and Taiwanese communities back in Melbourne (when I knew no Thai whatsoever). Some people spoke good English, others didn't speak a word. You can rely on other forms of communication other than purely verbal. Naturally, the more time you spend with some people the easier communication got. Other people I was not close with in the community wondered how I knew exactly what they were thinking and they didn't, even though they could communicate with each other. You tend to pick up on small things like body language, facial expressions, emotions etc. 

Agree with the later part. I have been stopped numerous times in both Bangkok and the town (in Isaan) I live now to participate in interviews with students. Even when I take the dog to the vet, there will be the odd Thai in the waiting room who will attempt to communicate with me and ask me about my dog. The other day a guy walking his cows even introduced himself, that was the extent of his language skills, but he was keen to go out of his way to practice.

Yes, Thai is helpful. But by no means is it needed in everyday life by the majority of expats, or should be negatively pushed on people by other posters. 

On 22/08/2017 at 3:09 PM, james1995 said:

Living Isaan for more than a few weeks is tough.  There are ways to generate an income, but will you be happy living in a village with roosters and no 7/11?  I find it difficult because there are no farang conveniences and you must know Thai to get around.

There are cities in Issan! Two pretty towns are Kong Kai and Roi Et to name just two.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:25 PM, mogandave said:

Air seems pretty clean where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

that report came out in 2017 that the worst air quality in thailand is khon kaen. NOT GOOD considering it is right in the middle of isaan. And the biggest contributor is burning in open areas. You know isaan people love to burn and no other isaan provinces were listed in the report. making me reconsider my health long term. like my girl says you might have a cancer !!

17 minutes ago, at15 said:

that report came out in 2017 that the worst air quality in thailand is khon kaen. NOT GOOD considering it is right in the middle of isaan. And the biggest contributor is burning in open areas. You know isaan people love to burn and no other isaan provinces were listed in the report. making me reconsider my health long term. like my girl says you might have a cancer !!

I don't recall it being all that dirty the times we have been there in KK. Seems just fine. 

I don't recall it being all that dirty the times we have been there in KK. Seems just fine. 

I'm in KK. Everyone burns their rubbish in their backyards at all times and wind directions. God only knows what toxic waste is burnt in the process. The (poisonous?) smoke wafts into our house and onto to our washing. It's a disgusting , filthy practice done by inconsiderate people.

The report is spot on. KK air quality is a disgrace.

3 hours ago, kunfish said:

I thought the same thing, but just observing things doesnt reveal the true story. PM2.5, the small micron particles are the killers. 

For first half of 2017, the average pm2.5 for khon kaen was 44. 

To put this in perspective, living in khon kaen would be like living in an ok chinese city. The cleanest chinese cities average in the mid 20's to 30's. A bad chinese city would average around 100. 

Los Angeles, USA is around 20 i believe. 

9 hours ago, at15 said:

I thought the same thing, but just observing things doesnt reveal the true story. PM2.5, the small micron particles are the killers. 

For first half of 2017, the average pm2.5 for khon kaen was 44. 

To put this in perspective, living in khon kaen would be like living in an ok chinese city. The cleanest chinese cities average in the mid 20's to 30's. A bad chinese city would average around 100. 

Los Angeles, USA is around 20 i believe. 

In Western Washington at the moment and forest forest fires over the mountains. The sky has been hazy and yellow all summer. Yesterday, you could hardly breath. Cars are covered in ash. Have been to NE China and it was the same haze. People I knew from there spent years clearing their lungs after moving from there. Pretty bad. I'm starting to now recall the morning haze in Khon Kaen.

Now, you so see a lot of trash in Khon Kaen province. It was quite surprising to see how clean Nong Khai is. And also Loei Province is very clean, didn't see much trash. 

Well, hope the government does something about it. People don't seem to care.

11 hours ago, kunfish said:

In Western Washington at the moment and forest forest fires over the mountains. The sky has been hazy and yellow all summer. Yesterday, you could hardly breath. Cars are covered in ash. Have been to NE China and it was the same haze. People I knew from there spent years clearing their lungs after moving from there. Pretty bad. I'm starting to now recall the morning haze in Khon Kaen.

Now, you so see a lot of trash in Khon Kaen province. It was quite surprising to see how clean Nong Khai is. And also Loei Province is very clean, didn't see much trash. 

Well, hope the government does something about it. People don't seem to care.

I know thai people will just say oh well, many ways to die, up to karma etc but i watch out for my health its all you got in this world. Things are bad in isaan. Worst air quality and then you have the Opisthorchis viverrini parasite issue leading to liver cancer, worst in the isaan region and in the entire world. Dont eat koi pla or som tam pla ra. Youll still probably be exposed if you eat at thai resturants, no one is washing their hands after handing raw food LoL. Stay safe guys. 

4 minutes ago, at15 said:

I know thai people will just say oh well, many ways to die, up to karma etc but i watch out for my health its all you got in this world. Things are bad in isaan. Worst air quality and then you have the Opisthorchis viverrini parasite issue leading to liver cancer, worst in the isaan region and in the entire world. Dont eat koi pla or som tam pla ra. Youll still probably be exposed if you eat at thai resturants, no one is washing their hands after handing raw food LoL. Stay safe guys. 

Hmmm, will have to look into how bad it is everywhere in the region. Seems like a blanket statement about the entire region categorically bad. I believe there are pills you can take for the fish parasite?

Thanks for the tip on koi pla. I had a bite or two with my FIL during Sonkran this year. My wife doesn't want me eating it. 

More research required. I suppose Bangkok is dirtier and more unhealthy.

2 minutes ago, kunfish said:

Hmmm, will have to look into how bad it is everywhere in the region. Seems like a blanket statement about the entire region categorically bad. I believe there are pills you can take for the fish parasite?

Thanks for the tip on koi pla. I had a bite or two with my FIL during Sonkran this year. My wife doesn't want me eating it. 

Bangkok and southern thailand are actually pretty good for avoiding this parasite. Here is a map: 

O. viverrini is the parasite and CCA is liver cancer. 

preview.jpg

3 minutes ago, kunfish said:

I do not eat any Isaan grub..After seeing what goes into it it is a no no for me. I have had my own food regime for many years with no probs...One just has to use ones loaf...

Any farang moving to Isaan can do his own thing, same as me..:stoner:...Actually the locals like my singing.....:giggle:

On 9/7/2017 at 11:36 AM, transam said:

I do not eat any Isaan grub..After seeing what goes into it it is a no no for me. I have had my own food regime for many years with no probs...One just has to use ones loaf...

Any farang moving to Isaan can do his own thing, same as me..:stoner:...Actually the locals like my singing.....:giggle:

what has singing got to do with the topic?

Just throwing it out there- Khon Kaen is a far more entertaining place to live and there are numerous schools that hire with higher end salaries.. That being said, it sounds like your big question boils down to 'do I move and try to make it work with a Thai girl in a relatively boring place' and nobody but you can answer that. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket if you do take the leap. You will likely be used and seen as a walking bank account. Have a separate income and keep doors open for an escape. Note that marriage in Thailand is not recognized in the U.K. So you will be safe in the long run if you find the need to get away. Most of the unhappy foreigners I've met are miserable because they don't see a way out. 

14 minutes ago, Raivien said:

Just throwing it out there- Khon Kaen is a far more entertaining place to live and there are numerous schools that hire with higher end salaries.. That being said, it sounds like your big question boils down to 'do I move and try to make it work with a Thai girl in a relatively boring place' and nobody but you can answer that. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket if you do take the leap. You will likely be used and seen as a walking bank account. Have a separate income and keep doors open for an escape. Note that marriage in Thailand is not recognized in the U.K. So you will be safe in the long run if you find the need to get away. Most of the unhappy foreigners I've met are miserable because they don't see a way out. 

Thai marriage isn't recognised in the UK.....?

Archived