Trump condemns 'hate' after protest violence in Virginia

rooster59

Trump condemns 'hate' after protest violence in Virginia

640x640 (12).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump reads from a prepared statement as he delivers remarks on the protests in Charlottesville, Virginia, from his golf estate in Bedminster, New Jersey U.S., August 12, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Saturday condemned violence that erupted between white nationalists and counter-demonstrators on Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"We must ALL be united & condemn all that hate stands for," Trump wrote in a Twitter message. "There is no place for this kind of violence in America."

Officials had approved the protest march in downtown Charlottesville but cancelled the event and declared a state of emergency after outbreaks of violence.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-13

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know 4 year olds who can condemn hate.  I heard his response speech was tepid, and didn't focus on any group.  Rather like Rodney King saying, 'why can't we all get along?'  After Trump's flaccid response, he walked out without fielding any questions.  Right-wingers responded to Trump's response with, "Yay, he's still our guy!"  

There are soooooo many reasons Trump should be tossed out the exit door.  I wish I could say he's just ignorant and ineffectual, but in fact, he's much worse.......

14 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I know 4 year olds who can condemn hate.  I heard his response speech was tepid, and didn't focus on any group.  Rather like Rodney King saying, 'why can't we all get along?'  After Trump's flaccid response, he walked out without fielding any questions.  Right-wingers responded to Trump's response with, "Yay, he's still our guy!"  

There are soooooo many reasons Trump should be tossed out the exit door.  I wish I could say he's just ignorant and ineffectual, but in fact, he's much worse.......

(Not this right winger...)

Former KKK leader David Duke strikes out at Trump for condemning a white nationalist rally: 'It was White Americans who put you in the presidency'

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/former-kkk-leader-david-duke-200532936.html

13 minutes ago, rijb said:

Former KKK leader David Duke strikes out at Trump for condemning a white nationalist rally: 'It was White Americans who put you in the presidency'

"When you lay down with snakes

You come up poisoned every time"

from the song "Firing Line"

14 minutes ago, rijb said:

great avatar pic - of Fat Boy wearing Trump's hair.

What gets me  wondering about America. Is if it is the land of freedom of expression why do people always have to disrupt right wing protests? Do they not have the right to free speech also? They should be allowed their say. No one has to listen no one has to care what they say but they have the right to say it.If right wingers used violence to stop anything they would be the bad guys and go to jail. If right wing protests have violent thugs show up and destroy the protest it is ok. This is not the American way that America tries to say it is.Seems as though violence against right wingers is ok. Quite a double standard as I see it  speaking as an outsider.

38 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

What gets me  wondering about America. Is if it is the land of freedom of expression why do people always have to disrupt right wing protests? Do they not have the right to free speech also? They should be allowed their say. No one has to listen no one has to care what they say but they have the right to say it.If right wingers used violence to stop anything they would be the bad guys and go to jail. If right wing protests have violent thugs show up and destroy the protest it is ok. This is not the American way that America tries to say it is.Seems as though violence against right wingers is ok. Quite a double standard as I see it  speaking as an outsider.

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of "free speech"? They're free to protest, just as the left wingers are free to counter-protest. Both occur regularly. Do you think that nobody should counter-protest or prevent the Westboro Church people from disrupting funerals of soldiers for example? Or is your outrage confined only to the Right?

Do you have information that the rest of us do not about who started the fights/violence? We do know already that the guy who drove his car into a group of protesters at 40kph and then reversed back into them was a Right-Wing Neo-Nazi. Care to comment on that? Was that terrorism?

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

It's a land of hypocrisy!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-country-colin-kaepernick-165000514.html

1 hour ago, SouthernDelight said:

No, it's how the job market works in capitalistic society.  Can you get a job in your country with hate tattoos on your face?  A bad post (hate posts, drug abuse pics, etc.) in Facebook has cost people their jobs.

White supremacist terrorism in Charlottesville. Of course trump can't name it. That's his base.

" Trump’s refusal to condemn white supremacist violence, coming on the heels of his silence in the aftermath of last week’s mosque bombing in Minnesota, is just the latest affirmation of his fundamental immorality. The president’s racist, anti-Semitic, Muslim-hating acolytes heard the words Trump didn’t say on Saturday. They know they have an ally in the White House, a man who will abet anyone who abets his own hold on power."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/08/in_his_speech_on_charlottesville_donald_trump_told_the_nation_exactly_what.html

It's worth noting, because many people assume a town in the south is necessarily right wing, that the good people of Charlottesville voted 80 percent for Hillary Clinton and also voted in the city council that approved the removal of the statue of Robert E. Lee. So that was all legal and democratic. 

Why did white supremacist / Nazi / KKK / alt-right / trumpist invaders in Charlottesville feel so emboldened now?

Obviously ... they now have a friend in the white house.

Our totally unpresidential president. 

Yes, he won.

What a tragedy!

Donald Trump's incredibly unpresidential statement on Charlottesville

"Mr. President - we must call evil by its name," tweeted Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colorado. "These were white supremacists and this was domestic terrorism." Tweeted Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, another fellow Republican: "Very important for the nation to hear @potus describe events in #Charlottesville for what they are, a terror attack by #whitesupremacists."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/12/politics/trump-charlottesville-statement/index.html

Too bad he can't condemn the white supremacy movement that he tacitly supports. 

I dont recall there being this many neo-nazis and white supremacists during the administration of Obama, or Bush or Clinton. 

A young white man drives into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one and critically injuring several, and Trump condemns hate in the vaguest terms possible.

Had it been a Muslim driving the car, Trump and his supporters would be going nuts over it.

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

That was a pretty strong condemnation of the violence coming from a racist, sexist, narrow minded bigot...

He could have threatened to nuke 'em.  He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

43 minutes ago, heybruce said:

A young white man drives into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one and critically injuring several, and Trump condemns hate in the vaguest terms possible.

Had it been a Muslim driving the car, Trump and his supporters would be going nuts over it.

And the muslims would have gone nuts if it was a female driver.

11 minutes ago, rijb said:

And the muslims would have gone nuts if it was a female driver.

Dude, the topic here is not Islamist terrorism which is indeed a real thing.

It's white supremacist terrorism.

ALSO a real thing. 

trump can never even begin to be an effective American leader without confronting the Nazi rot in his OWN base. 

16 minutes ago, rijb said:

He could have threatened to nuke 'em.  He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

We agree on one thing. He is damned. Too bad for him (no, I don't really care) but he's inflicting his bizarre mental illness on the nation and the planet. That is not OK. Patriotic Americans of different political wings get that by now. 

Just now, heybruce said:

Actually I think Muslims in the US are cool with female drivers.  I understand a lot of US Muslim women drive.

That's true but that is an issue in Saudi Arabia for example. But not the topic HERE. The dude was simply trying to DEFLECT. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Dude, the topic here is not Islamist terrorism which is indeed a real thing.

It's white supremacist terrorism.

ALSO a real thing. 

trump can never even begin to be an effective American leader without confronting the Nazi rot in his OWN base. 

I'm not your "dude" and I'm not interested in your pompous lectures.   I responded to a previous post.  

Those of you who know how I feel about Trump and his kind. Also know how I feel about free speech.

You are for free speech only when you protect the free speech you disagree with. 

If those right wing idiots were allowed to protest, non of this would have happened, and they would had being exposed for the idiots they are.

But it takes two to tango ,

don't forget not even for a moment that fascism can exist on the left as well as the right.  

Just now, rijb said:

I'm not your "dude" and I'm not interested in your pompous lectures.   I responded to a previous post.  

This is an open forum. I'm also not interested in your peculiar sensitivities. If you post here expect that it's open to response from anyone.

Just now, Jingthing said:

This is an open forum. I'm also not interested in your peculiar sensitivities. If you post here expect that it's open to response from anyone.

Same to you.  :cheesy:

Archived