980kg ganja seized in Sakon Nakhon

rooster59

980kg ganja seized in Sakon Nakhon

mari2.jpg

Police on Saturday (Aug 12) seized 980 bars of compressed marijuana, weighing about 980 kilogramme in total, in a search of a van which had been abandoned in a bush in Muang district of Sakon Nakhon province.

Villagers of Ban Don Tum in Tambon Ngiu Don on Friday night informed Muang district police after they found a black Hyundai H1 van abandoned in a bush behind a fertiliser plant.  The van’s doors were locked.

Pol Col Kanapot Panomchai of Muang Sakon Nakhon police station said police got a tip-off that trafficking gang would enter Tha Rae district last night (Aug 11), so, checkpoints had been set up to inspect suspicious vehicles.

Officers at a checkpoint stopped the black Hyundai van for a search, but the driver sped away until villagers informed the police that they found the car abandoned at the scene, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/980kg-ganja-seized-sakon-nakhon/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-13

All these big busts seem to be as a result of a 'tip-off'. Who on earth is doing the 'tipping-off', and why? The gangs transporting and selling the stuff must have security like a sieve. Or loose tongues after a bottle or two of Lao Khao. I can't imagine that the BiB have a particularly efficient network of undercover agents, somehow.

21 hours ago, nisakiman said:

All these big busts seem to be as a result of a 'tip-off'. Who on earth is doing the 'tipping-off', and why? The gangs transporting and selling the stuff must have security like a sieve. Or loose tongues after a bottle or two of Lao Khao. I can't imagine that the BiB have a particularly efficient network of undercover agents, somehow.

Childish ineptitude is abundant in every level of Thai society, all the way from the peasants to the PM. Why should drug smugglers be any different?

On 8/13/2017 at 3:48 AM, nisakiman said:

Yeah, it does seem to be a lot of tipping off.  But then again, we don't hear about the ones that are not caught and they might outnumber the tipped off caught ones by hundreds or thousands?  I have no idea on the total amount of drug traffic.  Almost as amazing to me is how many are able to speed through check points.  Standing on the side of the road and just flagging down traffic is not a very strong checkpoint.  No physical barrier or a couple of cruisers set up blocking the road?  Or simply just put one or two cars a mile or two down the road and radio ahead if somebody runs the check point.  Kind of like all these ridiculous high speed chases that kill people.  Simply radio ahead and get some cars on the road in front of the oncoming car!

Archived