New To Chiang Mai

Gonzo the Face

Apparently one of the shops outside the moat in the North East area sells them now.

It's one of those shops that also sell rain coats.

Probably ok if you're stuck in first gear but I don't think it would last long on a GSX 1000.  But no doubt some idiot will try and then ask for a refund!

Might be ok in the rain as long as you treat the clear plastic part with something like Rainex 

Will try and stop by this week Gonzo.  I feel a McBarf calling....

There must be hundreds of benefits :smile:, but i can only think of one.

If you are stopped somewhere in midday sun or gentle rain it will shield you.

My g\f had one, and ended up taking it off after a short period of time.

The rain drops build up on the front screen and end up blocking vision.

She got caught in an afternoon squall and ended up on the wrong side of the road, quicker than you could immagine..totally out of her control......that was the decider for her...

Passing and overtaking vehicles tend to draw you towards them because of sail effect.

Enough hazards riding a scooter around without adding to it be using one of these novelties.

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

DSCF0132.JPG.996e01a3d7747ee7a40f9f028eb

These have been about Chiang Mai and Thailand for about 8 years now. A hard top version was going around 4 years ago.

You are correct, but as OP said, and i noticed, moreso in Mae Sai, but also CM, there has been a resurgence of them..a new , must have model, if you like..

They are everywhere in Mae Sai area, I started seeing them maybe 6 weeks-2 months ago, and they spread like wildfire. Great during rainy season if your puttsing around town. So many Thai Yai here that can't leave the Ampour, so it's not used at high speeds. And yes there has been a couple articles about their legality.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

See more of them in Chiang Rai than Chiang Mai. I understand they are illegal. I would think one couldn't do more than about 30 km/hr with them, probably collapse on the rider at higher speeds.

" I would think one couldn't do more than about 30 km/hr with them, probably collapse on the rider at higher speeds."

Not at all.

My g/f's one has a sign that suggested it was successfully wind tunnel tested to130kph.

I'll see if i still have the sign to show you.

46 minutes ago, happyas said:

" I would think one couldn't do more than about 30 km/hr with them, probably collapse on the rider at higher speeds."

Not at all.

My g/f's one has a sign that suggested it was successfully wind tunnel tested to130kph.

I'll see if i still have the sign to show you.

You believe everything you read? What speed have you or she got up to with it?

I think they are great , a Honda Wave convertible .  Saying that a brilliant idea for taking the kids to school . A couple of weeks ago in Maesai I saw the Patrol Plod taking pics. of them , maybe illegal not too sure .

" Do you believe a kid can fly ".
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

BMW in production 2000 - 02ish:

bmw-c1.jpg.0a4784d13bff25797392e8bf24291272.jpg

And again in 2009 (as electric concept):

c1-e.jpg.f79dac605c270917f0b06e2948e9c92e.jpg

These look to be a lot more solidly constructed than the plastic film ones I've seen around Chiang Rai. Although I do wonder what how that thicker plastic would perform in an accident. Interesting both riders don't seem to feel the need for helmets.

On 8/13/2017 at 4:18 PM, elektrified said:

Actually they are everywhere. But I heard they were illegal to use.

Yeah, and big plastic bags covering the driver and paqssenger are Okay??  Boggles the mind.

9 hours ago, bazza73 said:

These look to be a lot more solidly constructed than the plastic film ones I've seen around Chiang Rai. Although I do wonder what how that thicker plastic would perform in an accident. Interesting both riders don't seem to feel the need for helmets.

In France when you drive this Bmw scooter you don't need to wear helmet

Archived