Communithai Magazine

sceadugenga

Yes. I personally liked the last edition I read the best (in an antagonistic kind of way). Must have been december's edition. The thai language section was my favourite where the writer both tried to establish himself as a cunning, daring, ironic butin the end completely useless and full of mistakes. Funny reading I must say.

Other than that, no, the magazine was never good but then again it might have been giving it some time (if it's going to disappear that is).

It's still funny to read about local stuff, I mean the interviews they had in the beginning were quite ok. A bit funnier if they had done it at 11 pm on a Friday night perhaps.

For what its worth it just wasn't worth it......worthless :o

Wasn't worth what?

I thought it was a free magazine and though I only saw one edition, I thought it was pretty good considering the alternative, no magazine.

I thought it had potential, I liked the free advertising section but they needed to edit out things like house sales.

I would have thought that house sales would have been one of the main revenues of the magazine.

For what its worth it just wasn't worth it......worthless :o

Wasn't worth what?

I thought it was a free magazine and though I only saw one edition, I thought it was pretty good considering the alternative, no magazine.

I thought it had potential, I liked the free advertising section but they needed to edit out things like house sales.

I would have thought that house sales would have been one of the main revenues of the magazine.

You're possibly right but his main advertising seems to come from two real estate companies, full page colour ads. They may not like him putting in freebies for people.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to know what's going on with the magazine, why don't you contact them?

Finally got around to it, same day reply,

"Hi ,

The magazine is doing better than ever.

Because of expansion, we're skipping the Jan issue

and will do either a Jan/Feb or just a Feb issue.

- Matthew"

• 4 weeks later...
If you want to know what's going on with the magazine, why don't you contact them?

"Hi , The magazine is doing better than ever.

- Matthew"

I think the mag is history, heard he is on the way to China. :o

Any news about the "News"?

:D :D :D

"Hi , The magazine is doing better than ever.

- Matthew"

I think the mag is history, heard he is on the way to China. :o

Any news about the "News"?

:D :D :D

Got an email from him last week, says it's on the way

Since there don't seem to be any open questions, I don't have much to say except,

'If you have any questions or info for the mag, contact the mag directly.'

But if you want to speculate or gossip, this is the place for it.

If you want clear, honest and straight answers - even though some deadlines have been

missed as they are in all businesses (even sandwich businesses and software) you all

know where to find me. I'll meet you in person (if you have the courage)

to discuss the magazine or any other important things in this community.

Like myself, the magazine is alive and well and you'll see it soon.

And: try to be encouraging and positive in the way you talk about others.

It's what builds community. Strong communities are the single thing that

can solve the difficult problems here and back home.

Discouraging and negative talk is destructive by itself. All the best to each of you.

Since there don't seem to be any open questions, I don't have much to say except,

'If you have any questions or info for the mag, contact the mag directly.'

But if you want to speculate or gossip, this is the place for it.

If you want clear, honest and straight answers - even though some deadlines have been

missed as they are in all businesses (even sandwich businesses and software) you all

know where to find me. I'll meet you in person (if you have the courage)

to discuss the magazine or any other important things in this community.

Like myself, the magazine is alive and well and you'll see it soon.

And: try to be encouraging and positive in the way you talk about others.

It's what builds community. Strong communities are the single thing that

can solve the difficult problems here and back home.

Discouraging and negative talk is destructive by itself. All the best to each of you.

Hi there Mr Ozark

discouraging and negative talk seems to be a standard Thailand Farang trait; a lot of guys come here looking for things they never find and allocate the blame else where.

As the one who started the original post I accept that it would have been better to email you personally, but this is a discussion forum and I wanted to see what others thought of it as I spend hardly any time at all socializing in Chiang Rai.

It was a shame that the negative comments came without any reasoning, they were just that, negative, and one could have even been construed as a personal attack. Mate, as a present and future magazine editor get used to it. Every time you say that the sun rises in the East someone will attack you for showing bias to others who also believe this.

I said I believed the the magazine had potential, may be this wasn't a positive enough comment but it would be hard to say much else about any magazine in it's first year of publication.

I believe the city of Chiang Rai needs your magazine and will support it in any way I can, (don't ask for donations I'm a retiree :o )

Good luck and I'll email you personally in the next few days,

Sceadugenga

Anyhow, criticism is usual in whatever form it comes. Expecially when it regards newspapers, magazines and editors. If there is material in a magazine that is beyond belief for what should be considered printable then the editor or writer has to face the facts: it´s just not good. But, things can always improve and that´s what the whole idea is about as far as I´m concerned, to improve something that from the beginning was a little bit slap dash.

There is also a possibility of scaling it down a bit, making it easier to comprehend and dismiss the naive contributions about jedyod and crazy this crazy that. There´s a whole other, much more interesting scene than that street when it comes to nightlife.

Also, what is the target group? Well, westerners in Chiang Rai, I guess. And the typical westerner living in Chiang Rai is retired, what do they want? I have no clue as I am 20 years away from a Thai retirement.

I write articles from a very different perspective on Thailand for a Swedish webpage and the amount of criticism I get is well beyond the little knicketinag that´s going on here. It´s just the way Sceadugenga says, it doesn´t matter what you do because there is always someone that doesn´t agree or think he knows better. But, to not being able to discuss, criticize or even mention a public issue on a public web board is just going totally opposite what "community" is all about.

I think we have an opportuntiy to support a fellow Farang in his endeavours to provide us with a free service. in the form off a very much needed Chiang Rai magazine. Its is so very easy to give negative feedback, im guilty of that myself on occasion, but we have choices, for those who dont like it dont read it, for those who like it but can see opportunites, contact the Mag, they seem very open to ideas and feedback. Commuinthai, keep up the good work, and thanks for providing us with a free Mag that gets better all the time.

I think we have an opportuntiy to support a fellow Farang in his endeavours to provide us with a free service. in the form off a very much needed Chiang Rai magazine. Its is so very easy to give negative feedback, im guilty of that myself on occasion, but we have choices, for those who dont like it dont read it, for those who like it but can see opportunites, contact the Mag, they seem very open to ideas and feedback. Commuinthai, keep up the good work, and thanks for providing us with a free Mag that gets better all the time.

Well said.

I have mislaid my old copy of the mag and can't find the address or no.

Anybody know where to contact them?

Thanks

Hello,

Yes, Mumbo Jumbo, I did promise it would be out sooner and broke my promise.

I'm doing my best right now to get it out right away.

I'm very appreciate of the comments and encouragement in the above posts.

No donations wanted or expected and criticisms welcome - much more palatable with

some positive advice which can be acted upon.

I've had some trouble over the past months dealing with some feedback on this forum

and have tried to deal with it in the best way I can.

Sometimes I haven't been diligent about checking up on things here.

But, if I didn't recognize this forum as being a key part of Chiang Rai's community,

I'd be a hypocrite.

Thanks for your feedback, Sceadugenga. Goski, I appreciate your candidness.

I usually say 'contact the magazine' because I've had emails and web addresses

erased from my posts before an I'm not sure it won't happen again.

I'm hoping anyone with any feedback at all will pick up the mag and look at the

contact info. All the email comes to me. So do the phone calls.

Domyamkung: thanks for the kindness. And I appreciate your comments, Rainmaker

I'd like to in the future months open up the magazine to more feedback and contributions from others.

Many people have asked for a 'gossip' page or letters to the editor. In reality, there hasn't really been

anything worth printing. Much less sent to magazine directly for print in these categories.

I'd like to offer a place for this on the website when I get the chance to write it.

And I'd like to point people there. This may be a kind of competition to TV, but I think

there's room enough in this town for a magazine to have a web site where people discuss,

submit, criticize, sell and gossip. No real threat to big TV. So, that's the plan.

IF YOU have any ideas about this, please let me know.

all the best to each of you,

- Matthew (MrOzark)