Thai ban on e-cigarettes could lead to ’10-year jail term’

webfact

Thai ban on e-cigarettes could lead to ’10-year jail term’

by Ben Ireland 

Agents are being urged to warn customers about a Thai law that prohibits e-cigarettes being brought into the country.

Pat Waterton, manager at Langley Travel, said she was unaware of the ban until her nephew, James, paid a £125 ‘fine’ after being threatened with jail for having an e-cig in Bangkok.

Advice on the Foreign Office website includes a paragraph stating: “These items are likely to be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted.”

Waterton said: “I got a message from my sister saying James had been arrested in Thailand because he had an e-cigarette. He managed to pay the policeman, who had told him he could go to jail. Ten years seems a long time to go to prison for smoking an e-cigarette.”

Full story: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/285414/thai-ban-on-e-cigarettes-could-lead-to-10-year-jail-term

-- Travel Weekly 2017-08-14

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utterly ludicrous. The developed world is encouraging their use and Thailand, showing how far from being developed it is, is now nailing tourists as they arrive for having one, which pretty clearly is for personal use, threatening crazy prison sentences and demanding "fines." You can now cross another substantial group of people off the list of prospective visitors. Well done Thailand, first place in the "shooting ones self in the foot" awards.

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I wonder if the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has any interest in a ban on e cigarettes?

Probably not.  Hell professionals say that e-cigarettes are less addictive.  Those who wish to quite smoking give them a try and then try to kick the habit altogether. 

How about these fools concentrate on the continued saga with "Boss" and he eluding justice over the killing of a BiB. Manpower wasted on trivialities where it should be used on REAL crime. September is getting closer!

10 years for e-cigerettes = gimme a break! Boss wont get anywhere near that if the system ever gets it's act together.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Utterly ludicrous. The developed world is encouraging their use and Thailand, showing how far from being developed it is, is now nailing tourists as they arrive for having one, which pretty clearly is for personal use, threatening crazy prison sentences and demanding "fines." You can now cross another substantial group of people off the list of prospective visitors. Well done Thailand, first place in the "shooting ones self in the foot" awards.

"Developed world....." ?

How so?

13 hours ago, inThailand said:

How many Thais smoke e-cigarettes? This law and it's 10 yr sentence is geared at the falangs they so love.

I see them quite regularly, just smoking that thing in public on the street in BKK.

I'm going to start being more careful where I vape. But up until now, I've not been questioned vaping it anywhere, at airports, at immigration offices and anywhere else. 

Stupidest law. I hope it doesn't start becoming a problem taking them through customs, I've had no issue up to now. 

I heard about few cases.

1 guy in pattaya was sweeped from beach rd. Paid 60k to fix problem.

1 guy was stopped on Suvarnabhum told he pay 200k fine or go back home, he choose go back, then found out he got stamped 2 years ban.

Heres recent one

http://vaping360.com/vaper-arrested-thailand/

10 years is ridiculous, who is making this laws?

14 hours ago, inThailand said:

How many Thais smoke e-cigarettes? This law and it's 10 yr sentence is geared at the falangs they so love.

Go outside a night club more often.... VERY large numbers of Thai young men and women vaping... the jailhouse are not large enough to cater for the potential population!!!

I'm going to start being more careful where I vape. But up until now, I've not been questioned vaping it anywhere, at airports, at immigration offices and anywhere else. 

Stupidest law. I hope it doesn't start becoming a problem taking them through customs, I've had no issue up to now. 

They already fine ppl or ban on airports

And fine is like 200 000

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It appears that the crime is importation not actually vaping.

I bought mine in Thailand before they were declared illegal.

Where do I stand ?
Scum will get ya anyway just to get some money of ya.

Vap at home, not in public, dont take it to airports.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

It appears that the crime is importation not actually vaping.

I bought mine in Thailand before they were declared illegal.

Where do I stand ?

In a similar position. Got my first one brought in from Australia and bought the next one in Thailand, both instances before the clampdown. Bought the current one online from a Thai website with no problem at all and consumables from yet another Thai online site.

Very confusing. Has anyone got the actual laws on this? English translation or Thai?

16 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Probably not.  Hell professionals say that e-cigarettes are less addictive.  Those who wish to quite smoking give them a try and then try to kick the habit altogether. 

I think you missed his point!

The poster was saying , Do you think the Tobacco monopoly has a ' vested interest ' in stopping people using e cigarettes meaning they are then forced by cravings to buy tobacco products instead when they visit Thailand

Archived