Thai ban on e-cigarettes could lead to ’10-year jail term’

webfact

14 hours ago, inThailand said:

How many Thais smoke e-cigarettes? This law and it's 10 yr sentence is geared at the falangs they so love.

Unfortunately the industry has itself to blame for coming under close scrutiny , although the penalties are ludicrous : some manufacturers deliberately set out to capture the youth market with the flavours they make and promote ( Red Bull, many sweets youth oriented drink, fruit and candy/chocolate type flavours). This was most unhelpful given the battles to stay legal in other places ( mostly a battle won).

A few zealots in Thailand seized on this and rather than regulate, control, tax, it was decided to blanket ban. Very foolish decision.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Can anyone prove a logical explanation as to WHY e-cigarettes are banned in LOS?  Other than the fact the tobacco companies are dead against them for cutting into their profits? 

Asked...and answered.

This utterly inane and draconian law shows just how desperate the government monopoly is, about maintaining absolute control over tobacco use within the country.

Just another example of how out of touch the officials here are, and how far behind the curve the country is, in general. And how little the health of the people means, to the powers that be.

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards at an astonishing and breathtaking pace. Good job guys! 

The Thailand Tobacco Monopoly is the reason e-cigarettes are illegal. They have seen in other countries how e-cigarettes are helping people quit smoking, and that will mean less money for them. In 2009 the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly's sales were 50 billion baht (roughly 1.5 billion dollars), with net profits at 5.8 billion baht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_Tobacco_Monopoly.

The TTM purchases tobacco leaf through eight offices around the country, and also imports some tobacco from international suppliers. The TTM produces 19 brands of cigarettes. Sales in 2009 were 50 billion baht, including exports. Net profits were 5.8 billion baht. Export sales in 2009 were down 60 percent on 2008. The TTM's leading brands are Krongthip 90, WONDER American, WONDER Menthol, Falling Rain 90, and Gold City 90. At the end of 2009, the TTM had a total of 4,247 employees.[3]

The TTM is one of the most profitable state enterprises, returning substantial revenues to the state treasury.[4]

48 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

They should probably make a concerted effort to publish this information globally via the usual tourist info channels, and ask airlines to make announcements for flights into Thailand.

They should but they wont!

Don't know how you folks see it, but I'm so glad that murder, rape, bribery and all that good stuff is still punished with less severity than this god awful alternativ smoking BS that most folks with reading abilities can make a quality decision over, granted it needs to have some regulations to it /rolleyes

The Thai Government seems to be working overtime to kill the tourist industry.  With other countries fighting and winning, the war for tourist dollars, Thailand passes laws, closes attractions, and fails to maintain so much as clean beaches.  Thailand cannot survive as a tourist mecca on its fading reputation alone. Given the trouble in the South and ongoing bad press, it's only a matter of time before Thailand's tourist industry slips away.  

No matter how hard the officials here, and the apologists try to convince us that Thailand is a developed country, and is no longer among the ranks of the third world, I will continue to deny that possibility. There are a hundred reasons for doing so. But, endemic corruption, and a nation state so desperate for income, that is it willing to allow it's own people to die from it's own products, and to go this far to prevent people from using a healthier product, is no developed country. We are living deep within the third world. It can be illusory at times, when walking around Siam Paragon. But, this is the third world people. Believe it. 

Wow,its really easy these days to get into alot of shit here!I am vaping a few years now and this would mean i "have" to go back to real cigarettes!Thats a nightmare.What is the acual law on this?I thought using and having and bringing them in for personal use is completly fine??

I'm getting close to blowing the hatch and punching outta here. When I finally blast-off of this rock, I'm never coming back.

Too many stupid laws. Too much corruption. No hope for this country and its people.

Let's face it: they don't want us here. They never did, and they never will.

There are plenty of Thais selling openly vape gear and liquid in outdoor markets...

I see more vendors now than before the latest crackdown....

I have talked to the sellers they are selling with out a care in the world..
How can this be?....no big mystery really...

Vaping farangs have become a cash cow...

I am not sure if Thais get hit with huge fines or not but I know plenty of farangs are getting big fines... 

Also most the liquid they sell now in Thailand has nicotine either 3 or 6% which

is super low and not really high enough for most ex-smokers....So you would

have to vape a lot more to make up the difference and end up buying a lot more

vape juice.....   

Totally ridiculous as usual. When will this country ever turn their attention to important matters instead of being so juvenile.

The mindset of the supposed leadership will ensure that Thailand remains at the bottom of the pile in Aswan

I'm now coming to the conclusion that even Thaksin was better than this lot and that's saying something!

Sometimes you just have to wonder.

10 years for vapes?

Same as playing cards.

I have a friend who was inquiring about bringing replacement cards for a bridge club.

Nope, more than 120 cards and you risk the same 10 years.

It is time for legislators, when they get them, to go through the laws and seriously study whether they make sense.

In the meantime, I'll be sure I always have underwear on and a shirt while driving.

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Utterly ludicrous. The developed world is encouraging their use and Thailand, showing how far from being developed it is, is now nailing tourists as they arrive for having one, which pretty clearly is for personal use, threatening crazy prison sentences and demanding "fines." You can now cross another substantial group of people off the list of prospective visitors. Well done Thailand, first place in the "shooting ones self in the foot" awards.

Well nicotine based e-cigarettes are also illegal in Australia unless on prescription for stop smoking aid

ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES CONTAINING NICOTINE
Commercial retail sale and personal possession/use of nicotine electronic cigarettes
 The sale and personal possession or use (among other things) of nicotine electronic cigarettes is currently unlawful in every jurisdiction in Australia (unless specifically approved/authorised/licenced/etc)(1-9). This is due to controls on nicotine that apply in each state and territory by reason of it being classified as a ‘Schedule 7- Dangerous Poison’ under the Commonwealth Poisons Standard(10).  This position could change in the future should an electronic cigarette product be registered by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (‘TGA’) (discussed below).

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well nicotine based e-cigarettes are also illegal in Australia unless on prescription for stop smoking aid

Commercial retail sale and personal possession/use of nicotine electronic cigarettes
 The sale and personal possession or use (among other things) of nicotine electronic cigarettes is currently unlawful in every jurisdiction in Australia (unless specifically approved/authorised/licenced/etc)(1-9). This is due to controls on nicotine that apply in each state and territory by reason of it being classified as a ‘Schedule 7- Dangerous Poison’ under the Commonwealth Poisons Standard(10).  This position could change in the future should an electronic cigarette product be registered by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (‘TGA’) (discussed below).

So do you need a prescription for cigarettes in Australia also... 

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

That's true but 1. It's not illegal to vape nicotine based liquid. 2 its LEGAL to import juice with nicotine and/or nicotine liquid ( for personal use)...no problem whatsoever.

Are they really serious? E cigarettes don't always contain nicotine ,it's up to the user what he put into the device ,So if they are Illegal than cigarettes /Tobacco/cigars should be illegal.Maybe it's just a Money Greed thing,They can't make enough money on the sales of the E Cigarettes but make Billions on the smokes.

2 hours ago, Bazza444 said:

he means the rest of the World, anywhere BUT Thailand !

Singapore, total ban:

Those guilty of the offence are liable to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both. Repeat offenders are liable to a fine not exceeding $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Fact is that these so called cigarettes can cause a lot of health problems

What facts?

Archived