Thai ban on e-cigarettes could lead to ’10-year jail term’

webfact

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

As far as I am concerned it's perfectly legal. 

In the UK and some other places.

But the fact is they are illegal in Thailand and you could end up in very hot water with that stance!

It's unfortunate, and illogical, and poorly communicated, as well as punishments out of all proportion.

But, you know, 'This is Thailand' as the saying goes.

We all know how breathtakingly wrong Thailand can be.  That's the way it is.

If this dissuades thousands from visiting Thailand- and it could very well do just that- then it really will be harsh but deserved justice.

Flintstone stuff!

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

In the UK and some other places.

But the fact is they are illegal in Thailand and you could end up in very hot water with that stance!

It's unfortunate, and illogical, and poorly communicated, as well as punishments out of all proportion.

But, you know, 'This is Thailand' as the saying goes.

We all know how breathtakingly wrong Thailand can be.  That's the way it is.

I still think it's legal. 

That is said.  But the reality seems to be that the device is assumed to be imported; certainly at the airport anyway.

It's not a situation anyone really needs.

I suppose if you were caught in bkk for instance having a vape then you could argue you bought it in Thailand, but I doubt it will count for much.

Really annoying.  I don't want to go back to smokes, but wouldn't use ecigs as things stand.

Anyone got any information as to if they are searching at the airport, I have flight in a few weeks and am thinking of putting my atomiser(broken apart)and 100ml liquid separate in my suitcase and the battery in my hand luggage(which I think you have to, airline regulation,).

I have no intention of using in public, too much of a risk,but will only use in the home away from prying eyes.

Part of the problem with Thailand is that they are totally inconsistent with applying laws  and its all down to who you meet on a particular day.(Immigration, passport carrying, reporting TM30, smoking etc, driving licence etc)

I have not seen anything about anyone stopped at Swampy. Any info would be gratefully received.

30 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

Anyone got any information as to if they are searching at the airport, I have flight in a few weeks and am thinking of putting my atomiser(broken apart)and 100ml liquid separate in my suitcase and the battery in my hand luggage(which I think you have to, airline regulation,).

I have no intention of using in public, too much of a risk,but will only use in the home away from prying eyes.

Part of the problem with Thailand is that they are totally inconsistent with applying laws  and its all down to who you meet on a particular day.(Immigration, passport carrying, reporting TM30, smoking etc, driving licence etc)

I have not seen anything about anyone stopped at Swampy. Any info would be gratefully received.

You know as much as anybody.

You probably would not be caught.

I imagine it would be better to buy locally as then you could circumvent the importation offence which seems to be the main thing.

All tourists should be warned when booking a holiday or a scheduled flight to Thailand that if they use electronic cigarettes and bring one with them they will be thrown in prison for up to ten years or made to pay a large bribe to escape going to prison. This is simply the way it is in Thailand and everyone knows that.

They can easily choose a different country to go on holiday instead of choosing to risk spending years in prison.

I recommend that they simply go to another country with less crazy and stupid laws for their holiday.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

All tourists should be warned when booking a holiday or a scheduled flight to Thailand that if they use electronic cigarettes and bring one with them they will be thrown in prison for up to ten years or made to pay a large bribe to escape going to prison. This is simply the way it is in Thailand and everyone knows that.

They can easily choose a different country to go on holiday instead of choosing to risk spending years in prison.

I recommend that they simply go to another country with less crazy and stupid laws for their holiday.

If they have half a brain I think most would take your advice, much nicer in Cambodia, laos and of course Vietnam which has clean beaches and no 10x prices because you are a Farang

On 8/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Just1Voice said:

Can anyone prove a logical explanation as to WHY e-cigarettes are banned in LOS?  Other than the fact the tobacco companies are dead against them for cutting into their profits? 

Apparently, there is no taxation category, therefore anyone who has one, has not paid the duty on it. Needs confirmation, but that's how I understand it.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

sure seems like it could be awkward for people that say.. travel from their home country and were maybe on vacation in some other country. Then they decide to go to Thailand.  What are they supposed to do, throw away the devices?

Hmmm could mail them home?  I think the law is harsh for the offense  BUT it's their law obey it or suffer the consequences. 

sure seems like it could be awkward for people that say.. travel from their home country and were maybe on vacation in some other country. Then they decide to go to Thailand.  What are they supposed to do, throw away the devices?
Imagine not knowing till you get to the Airport. You given up smoking cigarettes after trying for 20 years and now you are faced with the choice of leaving them behind and risk going back to smoking. Who wants nicotine withdrawal on holiday if that was me I would definitely slip back. It's beyond crazy and cruel at the same time. So glad I quit cigarettes for 6 years now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

I know the States is against e-cigs because it is said their candy-like flavor appeals to kids. So kids get started smoking the e-cigs then progress to the regular cigs.

This is what the UK thought too so they researched it and found the percentage of e-cig smokers who convert to real cigs was 0.002% so its negligible compared to the number who stop smoking Tobaco.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:02 AM, spidermike007 said:

This utterly inane and draconian law shows just how desperate the government monopoly is, about maintaining absolute control over tobacco use within the country.

Just another example of how out of touch the officials here are, and how far behind the curve the country is, in general. And how little the health of the people means, to the powers that be.

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards at an astonishing and breathtaking pace. Good job guys! 

Your statement says it all in a nutshell .  

Maybe all the vaping users should get together and have a " Vaping Get together "  protest . The mind boggles , thousands of vaping users making clouds of vape while the authorities and media worldwide look on .  Even the WHO recognizes that vaping is safer and the less of 2 evils by far in their biased report . The UK NHS stated that vaping is 95% less harmful that smoking tobacco . 

This country needs to move away from its insular mentality and open their eyes to what can be had from the western world . Maybe I am being naive and the powers that be do not want to be part of the modern world , little bit like NK ?

21 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

If they are going to warn people about the draconian e-cigarette laws, they might also want to mention that the whole legal system and law enforcement culture in Thailand in general is arbitrary and that combined with the zero logic, zero regard for your life or well being mentality of many you would have to deal with in any kind of hassle  makes for a particularly nasty combination such that if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time you could be in a heap of trouble for little to nothing. A more important warning to people would be, I would think, that people take precaution and use common sense so as not to run afoul of what can be a rather arbitrary and sporadically enforced bunch of laws. You can literally be in a real mess for saying the wrong thing or standing up for yourself to the wrong person. It is also very easy to be lulled into a false sense of not needing to worry at all, and if you are here on holiday that usually is whole point, to drop your fretting and worrying, and it would seem you've come to the right place and indeed the police are generally less obtrusive and ubiquitous than they are in many cities in the world. But ten years for vaping or 10 years for a deck of playing cards if they decide they really don't like you. And that seems to be what it boils down to here: If we like you you can do anything you want, if we don't there's nothing you can do that isn't wrong or even illegal.

10 years for possessing a deck of playing cards??  They sell them in 7/11 but keep them out of sight, since when is it against the law to hold a deck of playing cards??  I am confused.

14 hours ago, mommysboy said:

You know as much as anybody.

You probably would not be caught.

I imagine it would be better to buy locally as then you could circumvent the importation offence which seems to be the main thing.

My experiences are, they intend to check a single person with 3,4,5 suitcases, walk behind one of them and just scoot around them when they get pulled over for inspection......:smile:.....just did it yesterday and it worked like a charm  (hahaha)  Oh, sorry, I don't Vape, but was carrying  coffee from Vietnam and a couple bottles of Lychee flavored e-juice for a friend, which could have raised some eyebrows had I been checked, no pipe or whatever they call that thing.

40 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

10 years for possessing a deck of playing cards??  

Not quite but ...

Section 8, Playing Cards Act B.E 2486 (1943):

No person shall possess more than 120 playing cards or sell playing cards, irrespective of their quality, unless those playing cards have been produced by, or have been stamped with the seal of, the Excise Department.

:coffee1:

Just now, Salerno said:

Not quite but ...

Section 8, Playing Cards Act B.E 2486 (1943):

No person shall possess more than 120 playing cards or sell playing cards, irrespective of their quality, unless those playing cards have been produced by, or have been stamped with the seal of, the Excise Department.

:coffee1:

slightly off-topic - so I assume the two decks I bought in 7/11 on Soi 18, nice plastic playing cards, had the Excise Stamp..................its interesting to note that you have to ask for them, they are not kept in plan sight..........Thanx

On 14.8.2017 at 6:24 PM, inThailand said:

How many Thais smoke e-cigarettes? This law and it's 10 yr sentence is geared at the falangs they so love.

This is a stupid view. I think you must ask how much Thais have 2.500 THB for buy a safe e-cigarette what not explode in your face?

And this are not so much. Plus the expensive liquid, ...

But everyone who fly to Thailand can read at latest on the plane that the import of e-cigarettes are forbidden. So play by the rules and you will not be in trouble.

Who fly to Singapure and eat cheawing gum? Only idiots who are think they can make their own rules and law. Same this  idiots who bring e-cigarettes to Thailand.

Law is law. No matter how stupid the laws are.

2 minutes ago, snowgard said:

This is a stupid view. I think you must ask how much Thais have 2.500 THB for buy a safe e-cigarette what not explode in your face?

I've never spent anywhere near that and no explosions here.

And this are not so much. Plus the expensive liquid, ...

The ejuice I use would be approximately 165 Bht for a month as opposed to approx 2100 Bht in Thailand (assuming the brand I used to smoke in Thailand, which was one of the cheapest from choice not necessity,  hasn't gone up that much) or approx 21,320 Bht in Australia. for cigarettes. 

Even cheaper when I mix my own rather than premixed.

Not sure if the "expensive" argument stacks up.

But everyone who fly to Thailand can read on the plane that the import of e-cigarettes are forbidden. So play by the rules and you will not be in trouble.

I assume this is a new thing as I've never seen anything with it written down on a flight (haven't been back for a few months).

Who fly to Singapure and eat cheawing gum? Only idiots who are think they can make their own rules and law. Same this  idiots who bring e-cigarettes to Thailand.

Good to see your objective view on people who make a choice.

Law is law. No matter how stupid the laws are.

At least you got one thing spot on.

Archived