Thai ban on e-cigarettes could lead to ’10-year jail term’

webfact

This is a stupid view. I think you must ask how much Thais have 2.500 THB for buy a safe e-cigarette what not explode in your face?

And this are not so much. Plus the expensive liquid, ...

But everyone who fly to Thailand can read at latest on the plane that the import of e-cigarettes are forbidden. So play by the rules and you will not be in trouble.

Who fly to Singapure and eat cheawing gum? Only idiots who are think they can make their own rules and law. Same this  idiots who bring e-cigarettes to Thailand.

Law is law. No matter how stupid the laws are.
I think that's the point of the last 13th pages complaining about a stupid law. And until recently I don't there has been any warnings anywhwre and I don't think there is still for most airlines.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I think that's the point of the last 13th pages complaining about a stupid law. And until recently I don't there has been any warnings anywhwre and I don't think there is still for most airlines.

The law is not just stupid, but arguably anti-social since these things actually prevent lung cancer, etc. 

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

10 years for possessing a deck of playing cards??  They sell them in 7/11 but keep them out of sight, since when is it against the law to hold a deck of playing cards??  I am confused.

Sorry, I retract that about cards. I was echoing something someone else said without checking it. I hope you did not stress out too much about it. Having more than 120 cards is illegal however.

That said, many will assume that you are using the cards for gambling. Cards are not often played just for fun in Thailand. So, just having them could conceivably give any cop who really wanted to nail you an excuse to do so.  Which was my point, that because of the arbitrary way that the law is enforced it is very easy to stray into gray areas without knowing it.

Maybe you recall the senior citizen bridge club in Pattaya that got raided by the police last year. In that case, the police seemed to have a hard time accepting that people don't necessarily use cards for gambling only. Penalties for gambling are a year in the slammer. 

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

I've never spent anywhere near that and no explosions here.

The ejuice I use would be approximately 165 Bht for a month as opposed to approx 2100 Bht in Thailand (assuming the brand I used to smoke in Thailand, which was one of the cheapest from choice not necessity,  hasn't gone up that much) or approx 21,320 Bht in Australia. for cigarettes. 

Even cheaper when I mix my own rather than premixed.

Not sure if the "expensive" argument stacks up.

I assume this is a new thing as I've never seen anything with it written down on a flight (haven't been back for a few months).

Good to see your objective view on people who make a choice.

At least you got one thing spot on.

Prices in Thailand for Vaporizer & Liquid: https://www.thaivapeshop.com/collections/starter-kits

It can be that you use the cheap models but they are unsafe. Also the liquid. Do you know what sh.t is all inside?

Also a lot of goverment websites (UK, Germany, ...) advise that e-cigarettes banned. A lot of airline websites to. And some airlines have written the restrictions also in their board magazine. I read it. Same I read all the time the important law/restrictions if I fly to another country.

But I know too how crazy it looks if you walk at the Night Markets and see there some stalls who sell vaporizers and liquid and the police is there and NOT SEE SOMETHING.

TiT

How about these fools concentrate on the continued saga with "Boss" and he eluding justice over the killing of a BiB. Manpower wasted on trivialities where it should be used on REAL crime. September is getting closer!

10 years for e-cigerettes = gimme a break! Boss wont get anywhere near that if the system ever gets it's act together.

I think they've stung Boss for a lot more than £125 The problem is the police have got their act together.

22 hours ago, superal said:

Your statement says it all in a nutshell .  

Maybe all the vaping users should get together and have a " Vaping Get together "  protest . The mind boggles , thousands of vaping users making clouds of vape while the authorities and media worldwide look on .  Even the WHO recognizes that vaping is safer and the less of 2 evils by far in their biased report . The UK NHS stated that vaping is 95% less harmful that smoking tobacco . 

This country needs to move away from its insular mentality and open their eyes to what can be had from the western world . Maybe I am being naive and the powers that be do not want to be part of the modern world , little bit like NK ?

The challenge there, is that most Thais live in a box that is approximately one meter, by one meter. And about 180cm high. Every once in a while they stand on their tip toes, and peer over the lip of the box, and they are scared by what they see. The outside world can be a very, very scary place. Most here are so fabulously conventional, in their thinking, that it boggles the mind. It could take generations before Thailand catches up with the rest of the world. 

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

This has made the UK press, well The Daily Telegraph anyway. 

Do they really wish to alienate a whole genre of visitor, plus their friends and family? Or is there more money in protecting their tobacco monopoly?

Daily Telegraph article

I couldn't hand on heart say what the motivations are for the ecig ban and draconian punishments; perhaps ecigs are viewed as a risk to public health, or someone's vested interests have been threatened.  I reckon it is very likely a mixture of both the aforementioned.

Likewise, it has long been noted that dictatorships, whilst fiercely nationalistic, actually do their own country down, most often by way of wrecking the economy.

The ban is neither here nor there- the damage is the small minded interfering with civil liberties, coupled with a sense that this is aimed at tourists.

As far as I can see, a tourist at the airport has no defence for being stopped with a vaper, whereas a native can go on puffing freely.  This is because the offence relates to the importation of equipment and not its use.  The local will be assumed to have purchased within Thailand, whereas the tourist plainly will have bought overseas.

14 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Hopefully this will save some lives and promote better health.

How so?

Based on current knowledge ecigs appear far less toxic than cigarettes, crucially so regarding carcinogens  So, a useful avenue to get people to quit smoking has been blocked, while those currently vaping in Thailand are at risk of returning to smoking.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

How so?

Based on current knowledge ecigs appear far less toxic than cigarettes, crucially so regarding carcinogens  So, a useful avenue to get people to quit smoking has been blocked, while those currently vaping in Thailand are at risk of returning to smoking.

https://www.theauthenticgay.com/10-vaping-health-risks/

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=dangers+of+vaping&oq=dangers+of+vaping&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6565j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

How so?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/29/vaping-as-bad-for-your-heart-as-smoking-cigarettes-study-finds/

Vaping as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes, study finds

3 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Quite honestly the information presented here is nothing more than scare mongering and exaggeration, eg, popcorn lung has never been associated with smoking, even though cigarettes have exponentially higher amounts of diacetyl2. 

What is true is that nicotine carries some health risks, roughly on a par with salt and caffeine.  And yes, the odd device has exploded (vent would be more accurate), though these are modified (mods).  The risk is the same as that of a mobile phone.  It is easily overcome by using a less powerful gadget. 

27 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I couldn't hand on heart say what the motivations are for the ecig ban and draconian punishments; perhaps ecigs are viewed as a risk to public health, or someone's vested interests have been threatened.  I reckon it is very likely a mixture of both the aforementioned.

A clue might lie in the name of the "Thailand Tobacco Monopoly". Note the 'Monopoly' part...

7 minutes ago, joeyg said:

It very soon transpires that is becomes a 'could be'

Note: “Lots of things have short term effects on aortic stiffness - and nicotine is already known to do this. On the other hand, so does caffeine, and in both cases it is transitory, without any significant long term effect.”

4 hours ago, joeyg said:

I'll tell you what will happen. If the devices are confiscated at the airport these people will stop by the first 7/11 and buy a packet of cigarettes.

The mentioned Swiss Guy who has been arrested for vaping in public and importing his vape gear in July is still sitting there and is waiting for judgement, I wonder why others here, who were also arrested for the same reason were released and free to go after a few hours and after having payed a fine, and this guy, who had already paid a huge deposit to get out of his 6 days of custody still cannot leave the country and go home before a judge hasn't passed sentence.... :sad:

Just a hint: What if I take a so rather cheap e-cig with me while travalling and flight and on arrival at the airport I'd through it in the next bin. You all here write about lots of existing and good vape shops and almost every market seems to sell them too, or I just ask in the thaivapers forum, so then I could buy a small one for my 3 weeks of stay there (possession and using is legal, but only in private) and either I'll throw it away before checking out or just take it with me home, there is nothing against "export" I assume? How about that?

On 8/16/2017 at 7:27 AM, Salerno said:

Got any figures on that as IMHO it's a load of <deleted>.

I never said I believe it.

I am saying that's what the US (and Thai gov'ts say). Don't kill the messenger. Please read my posts more carefully. Thank you.

On 17.8.2017 at 11:50 AM, joeyg said:

This is going to be the outcome! 100%! U are very very smart and have a real understanding about the needs of the people on this planet.I admire you.I want to be you! Can you send me a picture of you so can hang it on every wall in my house and me and my family can praise you!Thank you! You are wonderful !!

Just a hint: What if I take a so rather cheap e-cig with me while travalling and flight and on arrival at the airport I'd through it in the next bin. You all here write about lots of existing and good vape shops and almost every market seems to sell them too, or I just ask in the thaivapers forum, so then I could buy a small one for my 3 weeks of stay there (possession and using is legal, but only in private) and either I'll throw it away before checking out or just take it with me home, there is nothing against "export" I assume? How about that?

Might be good Ideal. But you still have the risk of police stopping in a bar and maybe you will have to pay a fine. I wouldn't take it home with me be just bin it. I sure a board member could tell you where to go to buy them.

12 hours ago, nikotin said:

This is going to be the outcome! 100%! U are very very smart and have a real understanding about the needs of the people on this planet.I admire you.I want to be you! Can you send me a picture of you so can hang it on every wall in my house and me and my family can praise you!Thank you! You are wonderful !!

Thank you.

Special branch arrest big "E-Cigarette Agent" in Kanchanaburi raid

cigs.PNG

Image: Daily News

Special branch 191 cops in association with Kanchanaburi police have taken down what Daily News said was a big player in the e-cigarette business.

Evidence worth three million baht was seized and displayed at the police station downtown in a big show of force.

E-cigarettes are illegal in Thailand with penalties as severe as five years for selling equipment and ten years for producing.

Trisak Sirichumsaeng was arrested in Pak Praek Road after search warrants were enacted at two premises in the western Thai town.

A large amount of evidence was on display at the Kanchanaburi police station for the press conference. This included 56 contraptions for smoking and 2,840 bottles of vaping fluid.

Trisak admitted his crimes in every detail.

He was peddling his drugs to users through the Line application and a website. He would then dispatch orders through the post and receive money via bank transfer.

The goods had come from Bangkok and head of special branch Surachet Hakpan had ordered action in the illegal trade.

Source: Daily News

On 17/08/2017 at 4:34 PM, SueH said:

The mentioned Swiss Guy who has been arrested for vaping in public and importing his vape gear in July is still sitting there and is waiting for judgement, I wonder why others here, who were also arrested for the same reason were released and free to go after a few hours and after having payed a fine, and this guy, who had already paid a huge deposit to get out of his 6 days of custody still cannot leave the country and go home before a judge hasn't passed sentence.... :sad:

It doesn't do to speculate, however, I think it is possibly to wonder if this was an ordinary case of farang caught with vaper.

Archived