Never been to Issan. Is there anything really worth seeing there?

thaibeachlovers

Now in what will probably be the last year of staying in Thailand before I leave it for ever.

Although I have been visiting Thailand since the 1970s, I never went to Issan.

Is there anything good enough there that I won't find elsewhere in LOS that I should make the effort to see?

Thanks.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isan consists of 20 provinces so there is much to see. You could go to one many traditional festivals, such as the Bun Bungfai Rocket Festival. This fertility rite, originating in pre-Buddhist times, is celebrated in a number of locations both in Isan and in Laos, but most vigorously and most famously in Yasothon Province.  Other Isan festivals are the Candle Festival, which marks the start of vassa in July in Ubon and other locations; the Silk Festival in Khon Kaen, which promotes local handicrafts; and the bangfai phayanak or Naga fireballs of Nong Khai.

Some more

Buriram

Prasat Hin Phanom Rung

This historical park contains some of the most extensive Khmer era ruins in Thailand. A new visitor center will be opened in 2002 to facilitate more visitors.

Loei

Phu Kradung

National park which contains and surrounds the highest mountain in the northeast. Its a popular hiking and camping spot among Thais.

Nakorn Ratchasima

Most Thais will refer to Nakorn Ratchasima as Korat. There's not much to the town itself, but several things to see in the area.

Thao Suranaree Festival

In the 19th century the wife of a city official named Thao Suranaree led a band of local women who managed to defend the city against a Lao invasion by getting the Laotian soldiers drunk. A statue and shrine containing her ashes defends the western gate of the city to this day, and every year from 23 March to 3 April they hold a fair in her honor in the precincts around the gate.

Pak Thong Chai

Famous silk weaving village about 20 miles south of Korat. Note, however, that prices won't be any cheaper than Bangkok.

Prasat Hin Phimai

A large, extensively restored Khmer shrine dating from the tenth century. About 40 miles northeast of Korat.

Dan Kwian

A small village about 10 miles southeast of Korat, famed for its ceramics.

Surin

Elephant Roundup

About the only thing worth seeing in this town. The annual roundup is held every November.

Udon Thani

Ban Chiang

About 35 miles east of Udorn Thani town, this archaeological dig has become a tourist attraction. Artifacts dating back 5,000 years have been found here.

Ban Pheu

You will find cave paintings a several areas of bizarre geological formations near this village about 30 miles northwest of Udorn Thani.

19 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Except that a significant amount have relocated to Pattaya..... might as well meet them there. ?

And there it is - post #13?  Didn't have to wait that long.   

1 hour ago, tonray said:

If you wait about 3 years you can ride the sky train in Khon Kaen 

If you mean the raised railway passing through KK, that's not a skytrain.

If you mean the planned tramway from South to North, well, that's not a skytrain either

17 minutes ago, hansnl said:

If you mean the raised railway passing through KK, that's not a skytrain.

If you mean the planned tramway from South to North, well, that's not a skytrain either

I think the skytrain is in Bangkok   :shock1:

Only us cowboys up here!

No absolutely no reason for you to come up here to Isaarn, you stay in ' real Thailand ' such as Nana plaza and Patpong or the exotic Pattaya!

You would only be bored with us up here in the sticks!

Given your question some thought.  I have lived in Isaan  for many years and am very happy where l live. Driven around a bit and  done all the wow Temples and other stuff. But would I have liked to have come here to travel around, no. Would  I talk family or friends from back home to come here, no. Reckon the would be bored.

Isaan is very flat and it is just mile after mile of the same stuff until you get to borders,  like Lao where the flatness ends.

Sure there are a few festivals worth seeing but then that is just a day out.

Ubon  Candle festival is a wow, when you see it it is way different to the thought of a few candles, most candles are as big as an articulated truck with candle sculptures that are truly amazing..

I think if you have been around the world a bit then Isaan maybe a disappointment. There isn't one place in Isaan that l would visit again..But don't get me wrong, I love where I live..:stoner:

I live in Isan and I like it very much. Take a look at Khao Yai Nationalpark, stay there in one of the 1000 hotels for a week and explore the area east and west of highway 2, drive to Wang Nam Khiao and Pak Thong Chai. Not flat at all just beautiful. But be prepared of crowded weekends by Thais from BKK.

Nong Khai is another lovely place to spend about one week.

I drive in and out to Jomtien/Pattaya almost daily, everytime I do the trip I see something I hadn't seen before.

For my first 4 years in Thiland I never left Pattaya. I honestly believed the rest of Thailand must be more or less the same........boy....was I wrong.

I have now spent the last 13 years holidaying in about every inch  of this beautiful country (every 6 weeks or so I start off on my next trip).

It really is Amazing.

I have been living in Isaan 13 years and like it well enough , I have a nice home and comfortable life .

I lived in Italy for a number of years before , I am not a good tourist and sight seer , though am a great appreciator of the arts .

I would say NO , there is not a lot to see in Isaan that you cannot see in other places . 

I have not been to Chang Mai and probably will never go .

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Given your question some thought.  I have lived in Isaan  for many years and am very happy where l live. Driven around a bit and  done all the wow Temples and other stuff. But would I have liked to have come here to travel around, no. Would  I talk family or friends from back home to come here, no. Reckon the would be bored.

Isaan is very flat and it is just mile after mile of the same stuff until you get to borders,  like Lao where the flatness ends.

Sure there are a few festivals worth seeing but then that is just a day out.

Ubon  Candle festival is a wow, when you see it it is way different to the thought of a few candles, most candles are as big as an articulated truck with candle sculptures that are truly amazing..

I think if you have been around the world a bit then Isaan maybe a disappointment. There isn't one place in Isaan that l would visit again..But don't get me wrong, I love where I live..:stoner:

I have have always believed the home is where the heart is. Even the most beautiful of landscapes become a bit pointless if you have no one to share them with. Would I live in Buriram if my partner was not there?........ probably not.

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Khon Kaen is notable for 2 famous structures: the first one is a major tourist attraction for Thai tourists and the second, in the photo on the right, well, it's a navigation landmark let's just say.

image.png.702f9ef4199d8622c595f593d2d62099.png

image.png.35c0d23ec62ac7a9f2cff05f961ca35a.png

Great pic!  Taken from the Pullman??

Archived