BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

New Thai driving licenses to bring the country up to international standards

New Thai driving licenses to bring the country up to international standards

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Sanook reported that all drivers' licenses issued from September 4th will be the smart card variety.

This means they have the magnetic strip and QR code on them.

Old paper licenses can be exchanged for the new ones at a cheaper rate from today.

The old licenses are still valid but any new ones will utilize the new technology.

The Department of Land Transport said the move will bring Thailand up to international standards.

They will cost 305 baht from next month for a standard license.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-15

2 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

The licenses may be Smart(?) but will the drivers be....:wink:

Farangs yes,  Thais no

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Farangs yes,  Thais no

As long as I read daily:

You can rent motorbike in Thailand without License, but drive slowly and carefully,

Stupid Police, they fined me 500 Thb because I had no helmet,

Corrupt Police, they fined me 10.000 Thb for driving under influance,

I disagree.

Having smart licenses is all very well, assuming of course you can get the millions of Thais who don't have a license, to be bothered to actually get one.

Yes, nice new shiny smart cards will ensure better driving. As usual, a facade solution.

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Department of Land Transport said the move will bring Thailand up to international standards.

Suck on it Libya.

The licenses may go up to international standards level but the drivers still remain at international disaster level.

An insulting/Thai bashing post was removed.

What does it feel like to be a superintelligent, first class driver in a country of lazy idiots?

I'd like to know because that's not my experience at all. Cut the white colonialist crap please

1 hour ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- Sanook reported that all drivers' licenses issued from September 4th will be the smart card variety.

This means they have the magnetic strip and QR code on them.

Old paper licenses can be exchanged for the new ones at a cheaper rate from today.

The old licenses are still valid but any new ones will utilize the new technology.

They will cost 305 baht from next month for a standard license.

This is not new news the 5 year Thai DL has been a smart card for about 10 years and is the only Thai DL that can be used overseas. Thais have been able to exchange their old paper licenses for the 5 year DL for the pass 10 years. You can put the 2 year temporary DL in this same catogory as being a smart card. To my knowledge a paper DL has not been issued for 11 years.

6 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Thai DL has been a smart card for about 10 years

Those are with magnetic strips. QR code seems to be the latest "smart" addition.

1 minute ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Those are with magnetic strips. QR code seems to be the latest "smart" addition.

I have had 5 DL's all smart cards with magnetic strips. All info is embedded in these strips. Unless they are putting my DNA in the strip I do not buy it. I have just returned from a 3 months visit to the USA my Thai 5 year DL was accepted with NO IDP for ID and car rentals.

26 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

This is not new news the 5 year Thai DL has been a smart card for about 10 years and is the only Thai DL that can be used overseas. Thais have been able to exchange their old paper licenses for the 5 year DL for the pass 10 years. You can put the 2 year temporary DL in this same catogory as being a smart card. To my knowledge a paper DL has not been issued for 11 years.

In March of this year I used my 2yr thai driver licence in the UK in fact the girl in the hire company asked if I had an overseas licence as it was less hassle than having to register on the .gov website and having to get a reference number to allow the hire company to access my driving history..