Birth Control Pills in Thailand

SkyWeung

Hello ladies...!

Actually, I've got two questions for you.

So, the thing is, I've been taking the pill for now 4 years. I've been using Alesse from the start and I love it. No side effects, no weight gain, and awful abdominal pains during my period, which was really a problem in my teenage years, have disappeared...! And I had it for free for 4 years because I was part of a research on a new vaccine in a women's health clinic, and it was one of the privileges.

So now the research is finish, my supplies are gone and I'm living in Thailand, where they don't have my beloved Alesse anywhere... :D

So I tried another one, called Mercilon (I think) but stopped after 10 days, after I found myself suffering from headache all the time. Maybe it's a coincidence, and I might try it again, but do you have any advice on a better one that I could find at the pharmacy here (I lived in Chiang Mai)...?

And the second question is : I've been taking the pills for 4 years, and I always start taking it the Sunday following my period. So when I ran out of Alesse, I went to the pharmacy, bought another brand and started the Sunday after my period like I did before. Then I had the headaches and stopped after 10 days, and two days later (on Dec. 11th), well, I was expecting it since it's quite normal, I had like a «fake» period. If I had carried on with the pill, I would have had it on the 22th of December, but I had had that «fake period» so nothing happened. But today, surprise, I have my period again...!! I didn't expect it before Jan. 18-19th since it would be my «normal» time (if I never had stopped on the pill), but now I'm really confused... should I start a new set of pill nest Sunday already...? I'm confused, I just don't know when my ovulation happens, now...!!

Help...!

:o

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, the thing is, I've been taking the pill for now 4 years. I've been using Alesse from the start and I love it. No side effects, no weight gain, and awful abdominal pains during my period, which was really a problem in my teenage years, have disappeared...! And I had it for free for 4 years because I was part of a research on a new vaccine in a women's health clinic, and it was one of the privileges.

You obviously want to get a pill with the same dosage of the same ingredients as Alesse! I did a bit of Googling and discovered that Alesse contains ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel. I found these other brand names with the same ingredients; you'll need to check the dosage on your Alesse box and choose one with the same dosage.

Aviave

Enpresse

Lessina-28

Levlen

Levlite

Levora

Nordette

Seasonale

Tri-Levlen

Triphasil

Trivora-28

The last three have different dosages of ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel for different days, so wouldn't be your first choice if Alesse pills were 21 the same and 7 different.

• 1 year later...

hi ladies... thought i would rekindle and old thread about what i would like to ask :o

ok, i am still in perth, aus at the moment, but am wondering if i can purchase Valette pill anywhere in thailand... chiang mai would be even better :D

although i can purchase 6 months in advance etc, am wondeirng if i can get them over there, and possibly a lot cheaper than 20AUD per month!

thanks in advance

You will not be able to find Valette here, at least not in pharmacies although you can get similiar preparations. There are a large number of OTC birth control pills for sale here, locally made.

Valette contains 30 micrograms of ethinolyestradiol (a syntehtic estrogen) plus 2 mg of dienogest (a synthetic progestin). There are many brands of BC pills sold in Thailand with the same dose of ethinolyestradiol, where they differ from Valette is in the specific progestin used. That won’t make any difference in terms of effectiveness, and you can switch right over to any of them, but it may or may not make a difference in side effects, you won’t know til you try. Oral combination (estrogen + progestin) BC pills sold in Thailand which contain 30 micrograms of ethinolyestradiol include the following brands:

 Gynera, Gynera ED (same except ED has 7 inert poills to take during the off cycle time)

 Lindynette30

 Marvelon 21 and Marvelon 28 (same thing but the 28 brand has 7 inert pills to take during the off-cycle period)

 Microgest ED

 Microgynon30 ED

 Microlenyn30

 Nordette

 Oralcon-F

 Rigevidon

 Yasmin

I see the Yasmin and Gynera brands most often.

For anyone else with a similiar question, what you need to do is to get the generic name of your pill including dosage and then find a local brand with same. usually there will be 2 active ingrediants, one an estrogne and one a progestin. Matching up the same estrogne dosage is the most important consideratyion. Matching it to a preparation with the same progestin is ideal but if not possible, does not pose a problem in terms of effectiveness, you can switch right over at the start of your cycle. Different progestins may differ though in side effects for individual women.

You are unlikely to find your exact brand name here and even if you do, it will be far more expensive than the locally made preparations.

After many years in thailand, I go with the safest bet of asking the doctor in your home country and bringing it with you!

After a "birth control" catastrophy using the local variety a few years ago, better safe than sorry. Changing over to a new type requires your body some time to adjust. You may not be as protected as you think for the few cycle!

• 3 months later...

I used to take Microgynon it was very good for me, I was not sick and I did not gain weight, or have problems with my skin while on it, I also tried Marvelon ( gave me morning sickness and tender breasts ) Diane35 ( same as Marvelon but also I was sick from all the smells more than usually ) and finally Microgenon was the best mild and effective.... when I diceded to have a baby I stoped using it and in 6 months I was pregnant. I was on it 7 years or more

I was taking Mercilon21 for 6 years. (I was advised by my doctor)

First I was bringing them with me, then decided to try thai Mercilon21, fortunatelly it was the same as from my home!

One month didn't take the pills and as a result- my lovely baby!!! :o

After birth the doctor advised to use NuvaRing ( vaginal ring) by Organon, but I couldn't find it here. And as before, I brought some with me.

My wife has used Meliane from thailand but here in the US it's not available so she's now on YAZ. She would rather be on Meliane.

First I was bringing them with me, then decided to try thai Mercilon21, fortunatelly it was the same as from my home!

One month didn't take the pills and as a result- my lovely baby!!! :)

After birth the doctor advised to use NuvaRing ( vaginal ring) by Organon, but I couldn't find it here. And as before, I brought some with me.

• 1 month later...
My wife has used Meliane from thailand but here in the US it's not available so she's now on YAZ. She would rather be on Meliane.

Hi gals, another option for us ladies to consider is having a Mirena coil fitted, prior to leaving your home country. Not for everyone of course, but just another option. It is both a contraception and for women approaching menopause.

http://www.mariestopes.com.au

http://www.jeanhailles.org.au

http://www.womhealth.org.au

cheers

• 1 month later...

may I ask why? what were the differences. Can I not get just anything here?

• 1 month later...

In addition to preventing unwanted pregnancy, birth control pills exhibit numerous health benefits also. Some of these include:

1) Cancer Prevention: One of the major health benefits of birth control pills, is to prevent ovarian and uterine cancer. At times it may also provide prevention from colorectal cancer.

2) Prevention from Ovarian Cysts: The intake of birth control pills can reduce the risks of ovarian cysts to a very large extent.

3) Bone Density Improves: Though birth control pills are known to improve bone density, they do not essentially help much in reducing bone fractures.

4) Menstrual cycle improves: Birth control pills effect the menstrual cycle big way.

Reduce bleeding during period.

Lessens pelvic pain during menstruation.

Effects the physical and emotional symptoms of PMDD.

I would recommend you to consult a doctor before using of ANY pills.

If you want to know more you can ask the doctor on this site or send him a letter. He will help to find your own medicine! The link in my signature.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to identify a bc pill for my girlfriend other than Yasmin which she has been taking. Am looking for a pill containing levonorgestrel rather than drospirenone. I hope someone is savvy enough with these ingredients to be able to suggest the appropriate brand names.

My concern stems from an article I read about Yasmin and Yaz which apparently use drospirenone, and about which there are some questions. (see The New York Times of 26 Sept).

Anna tab

Dior

Microgynon

Microgest

Nordette

Oralcon

R-Den

Rigevidon

Triquilar

And I think there is a generic GPO formulation as well, just called levonorgestrel + ethanylestradiol

Thank you very much. (I don't suppose one is better than another among them.)

If I may ask a follow up question: Is it very important to see a doctor for guidance in choosing a brand? If so should see go to a gp at any decent clinic, or consult a gynochologist? Or is it a case of trial and error and sticking with the first one which doesn't cause unpleasant side effects?

Except for the triquilar all the brands mentioned contain the same thing: 150mcg of levonorgesterol and 30 mcg of ethinylestradiol.

They differ only in whether or not they include 7 "placebo" tablets (often iron or vitamins) to be taken during the "off cycle" week. The point of that being that by not having to stop and then restrat taking a pill every day the woman is less likely to forget. This is a matter of personal preference.

Triquilar differs in that it contains different dosages during the cycle. The first 6 tabs contain 50 + 30 mcg, the next five contain 75 + 40 and then 10 contain 125 + 30. Idea is to more closely imitate the hormone flunctuations of a normal cycle, and has the advantage of providing overall less of the progestin (levonorgestrel) than the other brands do. This can be an advantage for women with a tendency to high blood pressure, high blood lipids or impaired glucose metabolism/family hostory of diabetes. On the other hand, precisely because it does result in flunctuating hormone levels during the cycle, some women may experience pre-menstrual modo swings and other pre-menstrual problems with it and not on the fixed dosage regimens. Varies with the individual.

Women with chronic helath problems (e.g. diabetes, high blood lipids, hypertension etc) should definitely consult a doctor before going on the pill, in that instance I would recommend the doctor tretaing the chronic condition as the best source of advice.

No need for an otherwise healthy woman to consult a doctor in choosing brand, but advisable to either get a medical opinion or at least thoroughly research the contraindications etc on the initial decision to take the oral contraceptive per se. Not advised for all women and some are at higher risk than others of the rare but serious adverse effects such as blood clots etc.

Except for the triquilar all the brands mentioned contain the same thing: 150mcg of levonorgesterol and 30 mcg of ethinylestradiol.

They differ only in whether or not they include 7 "placebo" tablets (often iron or vitamins) to be taken during the "off cycle" week. The point of that being that by not having to stop and then restrat taking a pill every day the woman is less likely to forget. This is a matter of personal preference.

Triquilar differs in that it contains different dosages during the cycle. The first 6 tabs contain 50 + 30 mcg, the next five contain 75 + 40 and then 10 contain 125 + 30. Idea is to more closely imitate the hormone flunctuations of a normal cycle, and has the advantage of providing overall less of the progestin (levonorgestrel) than the other brands do. This can be an advantage for women with a tendency to high blood pressure, high blood lipids or impaired glucose metabolism/family hostory of diabetes. On the other hand, precisely because it does result in flunctuating hormone levels during the cycle, some women may experience pre-menstrual modo swings and other pre-menstrual problems with it and not on the fixed dosage regimens. Varies with the individual.

Women with chronic helath problems (e.g. diabetes, high blood lipids, hypertension etc) should definitely consult a doctor before going on the pill, in that instance I would recommend the doctor tretaing the chronic condition as the best source of advice.

No need for an otherwise healthy woman to consult a doctor in choosing brand, but advisable to either get a medical opinion or at least thoroughly research the contraindications etc on the initial decision to take the oral contraceptive per se. Not advised for all women and some are at higher risk than others of the rare but serious adverse effects such as blood clots etc.

Once again, many thanks for a very helpful reply.

• 2 months later...

Hi, my partner takes Yasmin as her BC pill. However I have read that the side effects include hair loss which she has experienced for some time now.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this side effect also and if they changed to an alternative pill and if so may I ask which one they now use?

Thank,

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
In addition to preventing unwanted pregnancy, birth control pills exhibit numerous health benefits also. Some of these include:

1) Cancer Prevention: One of the major health benefits of birth control pills, is to prevent ovarian and uterine cancer. At times it may also provide prevention from colorectal cancer.

2) Prevention from Ovarian Cysts: The intake of birth control pills can reduce the risks of ovarian cysts to a very large extent.

3) Bone Density Improves: Though birth control pills are known to improve bone density, they do not essentially help much in reducing bone fractures.

4) Menstrual cycle improves: Birth control pills effect the menstrual cycle big way.

Reduce bleeding during period.

Lessens pelvic pain during menstruation.

Effects the physical and emotional symptoms of PMDD.

I would recommend you to consult a doctor before using of ANY pills.

If you want to know more you can ask the doctor on this site or send him a letter. He will help to find your own medicine! The link in my signature.

Well there's only one thing that appears strange to me...it's just an idea but if you look at the breast cancer incidence rate here:

http://www.time.com/time/2007/breast_cancer/

for one reason or the other Asia doesn't have breast cancer like europe or north america or australia. Now the story goes that breast cancer is caused by a 'modern lifestyle' so that's why 3rd world countries don't have it...but does that explain that there is almost no breast cancer in Japan? One exceptional thing of Japan compared with europe and the US is that birth control pill use in Japan is very low (less than 5%)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

To open the topic of Birth Control in Thailand again...

I am currently taking a Birth Control called Lo Ovral. I will be traveling for another couple of months and I need to get more Lo Ovral. I considered ordering it from home, but postage alone will probably be $10 - $15. Can I get the same thing, or the equivalent here in Thailand for cheaper?

Thanks all!

• 6 months later...

I've been on Meliane for about 10 months now, ever since I moved to Thailand. When I was back in the states, I was on Loestrin 24 Fe and was very happy. I tried to match the progestrin dose as closely as possible but there weren't that many options. I've felt fine up until this month, despite some weight gain. This month I started spotting two weeks prior to my expected period and have been off and on. I just finished this month's pack and am waiting to get my real period. Besides this, I've been having major hormone/emotional fluctuations, totally fine one minute and feeling as if the world was going to end the next. I've been on such an emotional roller coaster this month, I'm considering changing birth controls. I'm hoping changed hormone levels have caused these sudden irrational emotions that I can't seem to control. Do you ladies have any thoughts/suggestions? I've had bad experiences with an ob/gyn at Chiang Mai Ram and am wary to go back for a consult about birth control.

Women vary enormously in their reaction to oral contraceptives, the same formulation that works fine for one woman may make another feel like %^$.

In addition, a pill that use to suit may start to give trouble to the same women even after years of use, especially as she nears or passes the age of 40 at which point the "peri-menopause" sets in and hormone levels become much more unstable. Synthetic progestins in particular often set off or exacerbate peri-menopausal problems.

Meliane's estrogen somponent is the same as that of Loestrin 24Fe but the progestin is an altogether different compound.

Unfortunately there is no birth control pill preparation in Thailand that is the same as Loestril 24 Fe. the only brand that contains the same progetsin had a different form and much higher etstrogen dose.

Felicity, my advice would be that you consider a non -hormonal form of contraception such as the IUD. Most women do well with IUDs, the excpetion being women whose periods are excessively heavy and painful to begin with. (And of course the method is contraindicated in women with certain gyn disorders).

It is possible that even off hormonal contraception you'll have the mood swings to some extent. if so, it likely means you have either entered the "peri0meniopausal" period OR are suffering form PMDD. The latter will be apparent if you keep track of when the problems occur relative to your menstrual cycle. If the problems come mainly or only in the 2 weeks before your period and then there is dramatic relief within 24 hours of getting your period, that's PMDD. If feels like a curtain suddenly lifts and sanity is restored. Then sometime after id cycle - immediately at mid cycle for some women, a bit later for others -- the "crazies" and fuzzy thinking set in again.

PMDD and peri-menopasual issues can overlap, many women (I was one) develop noticeable PMDD only when they reach their perimenopausal years. But it can also come much earlier, some women have it their whole lives. Women with PMDD are best off not taking hormonal contraception. Natural (bioidentical) progesterone will give some relief as will SSRIs (often needed only for the second half of the cycle). I required both. The problem vanishes as soon as you hit menopause.

• 1 month later...

Archived