Birth Control Pills in Thailand

SkyWeung

My wife had an operation over 2 months ago to remove a very large ovarian cyst.

We just discovered 2 1/2 months later she has now 2 medium sized cysts.

The doctor at Sripat prescribed Yasmin and Berara. She has never been on the pill.

After doing some research, we are eliminated Yasmin because of the greater danger of of blood clot and cases of reported deaths.

Anyone here have issues with cysts?

I have read on the internet that .03 mg or greater of estrogen is better in preventing cysts.

The price of Berara is 350B with .03 mg. I found Diane-35 which is manufactured by Bayer in Brazil has .035 mg and is only 145B.

Neither Berara or Diana were on any of the lists. Are both products fairly new or don't have a good reputation.

Does anyone know why the major difference in price?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheryl, thanks for all your great answers in this thread.

My wife has used tricilest for the past 5 years, this year we've had trouble finding it. She's not done well on the two other brands we've tried.

Is Tricilest no longer being made?

If so, what is the closest replacement?

Thank you so much for your help.

An off-topic post discussing illegal drug has been removed.

AFAIK Tricilest is still available. Suggest you contact the distributor for the name of a pharmacy near you where it has recetly been supplied:

DKSH

Contact Information: tel.png Tel: (+66) 2220 9000 , 1364 (Call Center) fax.png Fax: (+66) 2220 9090 email.png Email: [email protected]

This thread is WONDERFUL. I'm in a similar situation now, where I've run out of my stocked up supply of BC pills from the states and am now trying to figure out which brand in Thailand matches the one I was taking in the US. I've googled it and can't seem to find a good list like the ones Sheryl is providing here. ;)

I've been taking Previfem, which is 21 tablets of 0.25 mg norgestimate and 0.035 mg ehinyl estradiol, and then 7 placebo tablets. I actually have 2 requests:

1.) Is there any brand available in Thailand with the same medication and doses?

2.) Is there a brand that has the same hormones but works on that tri-something-level I saw mentioned in a few of the earlier replies, where the dosage changes a little bit each week? I think trying pills with different levels of medication each week might work better for me (I often break out pretty bad the week before my period when on the same amount of hormones for all 21 days), so I wanted to know what's available.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!

"Cilest" brand is identicial to what you now take - 0.25 mg norgestimate and 0.035 mg ehinyl estradiol plus 7 placebo tabs

"Triclest" is a tri-cycle version of it, wherein the progestin (nirgestimate) dose is gradually increased: 7 tabs norgestimate 0.18 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg, then 7 tabs norgestimate 0.215 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg, then 7 tabs norgestimate 0.25 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg.

Both will take some looking around to find, but they are here.

Thanks Sheryl! I'm having trouble finding a place that actually sells it in Bangkok. They don't seem to carry either versions at Boots or Watsons, nor any local phatmacies I've tried. Do you happen to know what other pharmacies/places might carry it? Google is still proving unhelpful for me.... thank you again!!

Hi All

Can you tell me how many years you can be on

contraceptive injection, she has it ever 3 months, so I would say it is Depo-Provera,

i've looked everywhere but cant find a answer

thx

There is no specific time limit. But if planning to have a child later, it may take as much as a year for full fertility to resume.

Thanks Sheryl! I'm having trouble finding a place that actually sells it in Bangkok. They don't seem to carry either versions at Boots or Watsons, nor any local phatmacies I've tried. Do you happen to know what other pharmacies/places might carry it? Google is still proving unhelpful for me.... thank you again!!

Try the large pharmacy on Sukhumvit near Soi 2 (sort of opposite the expressway entrance). You could also try the pharmacy at the entrance to Foodland on Soi 5 and the small one inside Villa Market, both of these tend to stock things popular with farang women.

If all else fails call the distributor and ask for names of pharmacies recently supplied ot - see details in prior post ofr DKSH which is the distributor for both Cilest and Tricilest.

Hi All

Can you tell me how many years you can be on

contraceptive injection, she has it ever 3 months, so I would say it is Depo-Provera,

i've looked everywhere but cant find a answer

thx

There is no specific time limit. But if planning to have a child later, it may take as much as a year for full fertility to resume.

Thx for the reply.

so when you say no specific time, 5/10/15 years or so is ok

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Another question regarding Tricilest.

Is there a similar birth control pill besides Tricilest? I am desperately looking for one since Tricilest is so hard to find...

Here is the content list:

7 white tab each containing

norgestimate 0.18 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg,

7 light blue tab each containing

norgestimate 0.215 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg,

7 blue tab each containing

norgestimate 0.25 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg

plus 7 green inactive tabs.

Sorry to bother you with this question, but I still new to Bangkok. Thank you very much in advance!

I was actually going to ask the same thing. I'd rather find something similar that's more readily available in more places so that I don't have to trek across the whole city to only *maybe* find it. Some places that were supposed to have Cilest/Tricilest said they were 'out of stock' and couldn't tell me when they were expected to get more (though that may have been a language barrier issue, to be fair)

Unfortunately no, Triclest is the only triphasic brand of this. And Cilest is the only non-triphasic brand that contains norgestimate as the progestin.

Not sure where you have tried but you will need a very large pharmacy that has a lot of foreign clientele. Suggest the one on Sukhumvit near Soi 2. Could also try the one inside Foodland on Soi 5 as it often has things popular with farang women.

Failing that call the distributor(DKSH, contact details in earlier post) and ask what pharmacies they have supplied it to recently.

When you ask for the drug be sure to show them the name written down.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I take Femodette which is 21 tablets of Gestodene (75 micrograms) and Ethinylestradiol (20 micrograms). Could you tell me which alternative I can get in Thailand?

Thanks!

Meliane. Comes in 2 forms: plain Meliane has just the 21 tabs and Meliane ED has that plus 7 placebo tabs/

Also Annylynn, but usually Meliane is easier to find.

Hi

I take Femodette which is 21 tablets of Gestodene (75 micrograms) and Ethinylestradiol (20 micrograms). Could you tell me which alternative I can get in Thailand?

Thanks!

Meliane. Comes in 2 forms: plain Meliane has just the 21 tabs and Meliane ED has that plus 7 placebo tabs/

Also Annylynn, but usually Meliane is easier to find.

Thank you so much Sheryl :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been taking microgynon since I moved to Thailand a year ago, but I am unhappy with some of the side effects (specifically, reduced libido). I am on hormonal birth control primarily for dysmenorrhea, but I also use it for contraception. Any suggestions on a similar pill to microgynon that might have different side effects?

I have also been thinking of trying the mirena IUD. Does anyone know if/where it can be inserted in Bangkok?

Hi,

I've been taking Microgestin Fe 1/20 from the US for almost 2 years and now that I'm back to Thailand I need to find something similar. It has 1mg norethindrone acetate and 20 mcg ethinyl estradiol. Could anyone reccomend anything that comes close to that? I was mostly taking BC since I was dating someone, I don't have period problems etc so I don't want to end up getting anything with high dosage and Microgestin never gave me any side effects so I really hope there's something I could find here sad.png

Thank you!

Unofrtunately there are no BC pills in Thailand with norethindrone as the progestin. You can get the same estrogen dose but will have to take it with a different progestin. Brands with 20mcg ethinyl estradial are:

Ciclomex-20

Annylynn (comes as 21 or 28, 28 being with 7 inactive tabs so that you take continuously)

Lindynette20

Meliane or Meliane ED (ED=has the 7 inert tabs)

The above are all the same thing so doesn't matter which you get. Meliane is probably easiest to find.

Unofrtunately there are no BC pills in Thailand with norethindrone as the progestin. You can get the same estrogen dose but will have to take it with a different progestin. Brands with 20mcg ethinyl estradial are:

Ciclomex-20

Annylynn (comes as 21 or 28, 28 being with 7 inactive tabs so that you take continuously)

Lindynette20

Meliane or Meliane ED (ED=has the 7 inert tabs)

The above are all the same thing so doesn't matter which you get. Meliane is probably easiest to find.

Thank you for your help! I hope changing the progestin won't have too many side effects *fingers crossed*.

• 4 months later...

Hi sorry to bother you Sheryl, I just found this post and am hoping you might be able to help. It's tough when your new here!

I have to take mini pill due to migraines. But didn't get a chance to test any before moving here, doctor at home prescribed cerazette, which I've been taking for 3 months. Have had varying side effects- some which have now subsided (spotting) but a few new ones these past few weeks( sore breasts, nausea) Can you suggest any other brands I can get here that might be better. ( I have done a few tests and it's definitely the pill causing side effects- not pregnant) - if you could offer any advise I would be greatly appreciative.

Progestin- only pills in Thailand are:

Cerazette, same as you have been taking (desogesterol is the progestn)

Dailyton and Exluton - progestin is lynesterol

Hyan - the progestin is levonorgesterol

Since the desogesterol is causing you unpleasant side effects I'd suggest you try one of the other preparations, starting with levonorgesterol since if you tolerate it, you could then consider getting implants which are the same drug but releasing of more steady blood level than when you take a pill.

If that fails, try one of the lyensterol products.

Or - have you considered an IUD?

Hi,

Sheryl, you are awesome! My girlfriend has endometriosis and has been taking Yaz for 2 or 3 months continuously, then with a 4 day break and then again (to help with her endometriosis). She has been having more and more breakthrough bleeding. She needs to see a doctor, but she keeps putting it off. In the meantime I have researched better pills for her. The best options (with the least negative feedback) for Endometriosis and bleeding appear to be:

Leostrin 1.5/30 or 1/20

Demulen 1/35 or 1/50

Zovia 1/35 or 1/50

Can you please tell me what would be equivalent in Thailand?

Thanks so much, it is wonderful the time you put in to responding!

We are on Koh Chang and the selection is limited, but I will go to Bangkok to get them if necessary.

None of these formulations available in Thailand.

I am not aware of any pill formulation being proven better than another for endometriosis. Individual women will react differently. The larger issue is whether taken continuously for blocks of time as opposed to just 3 weeks on one week off.

Aside from pills, Depo-Provera and implants (both of which are progestin-only) are sometimes used. Best to try the injection (Depo-Provera) first; if it suits and there is no plan to become prgannt in the next few years, implants are an option.

Failing that there are other non-BC hormones that can be used.

Best to consult an Ob-GYN specializing in endometriosis.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm hoping this thread is still going....

I live in Thailand and used to be on Cilest but they've stopped selling them (JJ recall). Cilest cleared my skin but was pretty bad for water retention.

I want a pill with the least probability of water retention issues...I haven't got bad acne so I don't mind if it doesnt help the skin,,,

The pharmacist gave me Melodia as an alternative to cilest but I looked up the contents and they don't seem similar at all...

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I hope this feed is still going.

I was taking Yaz by Bayer pills for the last 5months and now I'm out of my stock here in Thailand. So do you know if I can buy them somewhere in Bangkok or if not what is the best alternative? :/

Archived