Birth Control Pills in Thailand

SkyWeung

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sheryl,

Fingers crossed you can help me. I live in Burma and am coming to Bangkok specifically to pick up BCPs for myself as a form of contraceptive.

I should mention I've never used them in the past, so I'm trying to figure out my best option. I've had all the blood tests etc from my doc on this side and am cleared to go, I just need to figure out which one to pick.

I don't have any issues like acne, pcos, or PMS that I'm trying to moderate but the two side effects I'm most concerned about are weight gain and mood swings (and I definitely do want to get pregnant later in life!!). Of course, I also assume a lower dosage (suited to a woman of about 135-140 lbs) would be ideal.

Can you offer a few suggestions for what's available in Thailand and might fit these criteria? I am also a bit frightened by this talk of counterfeit drugs so will buy from a hospital if necessary. Price is not an issue for me. Just effective an effective oral contraceptive with minimal side effects.

Any names you could suggest would be much appreciated. I'm very much in the dark out here.

Thanks so much!

-Desperate

No need to worry about counterfeit BCP here. Purchase from a pharmacy is fine but make sure it is one with air conditioning.

Nor do you need to worry about your ability to have children in the future, BCPs will not affect that. Waiting much past the age of 30 will, however, lower your chances of becoming pregnant regardless of what if any contraception was used.

BCPs have 2 ingrediants, an estrogen and a progestin. For the estrogen, the lower the dose the better in terms of side effects but this comes at the price of a higher failure rate if even one dose is missed.

The other ingrediant, the progestin, comes in many different types and every woman is different in how she reacts so you won't know until you try.

If you are confident that you will never forget a pill -- or that, if you do, you can be sure to use a condom for the remainder of your cycle - then I suggest you try Meliane, which contains 20 mcg of ethinylestradiol (a low estrogen dose ) and has gestodene as its progestin. Gestodene seems to cause less weight gain than other progestins. Meliane comes in two types, regular and ED, the difference is that the ED brand has 7 placebo tablets so that you always take a pill whereas the other one you have to stop after 3 weeks and then remember to restart 7 days later. Most BCP come in this fashion with a choice of either 21 tablets that are all active ingrediants and 21 + 7 placebo.

If you think that you may sometimes forget a pill then better take instead Gynera or Lyndynette 30. these are the same thing but with 30 mcg of the estrogen instead of 20. With that higher does, if just one pill is forgotten you can take 2 the next day with only small increase in risk of pregnancy.

If you find you have unpleasant side effects with the above then would need to to switch to a brand with a different progestin. It is really a matter of trial and error.

Hi there Sheryl! Fingers crossed this thread is still going, it seems you've been so helpful to everyone on here!! Similar to Newbie, I am on Microgestin, but actually Microgestin FE 1.5/30. Like her, I am worried about substitutions because this is finally one of the few birth controls that hasn't had bad side effects for me. Do you have any suggestions of alternatives for the 1.5/30 dosage here in Bangkok?

Thank you so much!!

The closest in Thailand is Anamai but it is a lower dose of the progestin (1 mg instead of 1.5) and slightly higher dose of the estrogen - 35 mcg in stead of 30 (it is actually 50 mcg of mestranol, which is an inactive form of ethinyl estradiol and 50mcg that = 35 of ethinylstradiol.

So not exact. But there is no other preparation with the same progestin.

• 6 months later...

Hi there, I have been taking Yazmin for 2 years but would like to change to something that is exactly the same as Triphasil, does anyone know if a Pill like this is available in Thailand?

28 pack: 6 brown pills, 5 white pills, 10 yellow pills, 7 red pills.

The active ingredients in TRIPHASIL are levonorgestrel and ethinyloestradiol.

Each brown pill contains 50 micrograms levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms of ethinyloestradiol

Each white pill contains 75 micrograms of levonorgestrel and 40 micrograms of ethinyloestradiol.

Each yellow pill contains 125 micrograms levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms ethinyloestradiol.

Each red pill contains no active ingredients.

There is only 1 triphasic BC in Thailand, Tricilest. It contains a completelt different progestin than does triphasil (norgestimate), and the estrogen dosage is 35 mcg throughout (while the progestin dose ramps upward during the cycle).

• 9 months later...

Hi Ladies,

I apologise if someone has posted this question before, but I didn't see it while reading through this thread... So perhaps some of you can help to advise me as to what I should / shouldn't do!...

I used to take microgynon 30 contraceptive pill, I never had any troubles with it, but I stopped taking it about 6-7 years ago as I wanted to give my body a rest from taking the pill for a while.

I would like to start on a contraceptive pill again, however I am easily able to get to a doctor and the 'clinics'/'pharmacies' where I live are questionable (I'm fatally allergic to certain muscle relaxant drugs and anaesthetics, it's incredibly rare, but lucky me, I have it! I always tell my pharmacist clearly when I'm buying something, my husband will also re-iterate in Thai - but she always reassures me that there is no way anyone could be allergic to what she is providing... Twice I have trusted her, luckily only struck by a fairly bad allergic reaction, since then I have certainly learnt my lesson now I always google each chemical component in anything I am prescribed!!!) anyway, apologies for the side story!

Back to my actual question....

I remember back in the UK when I was going for my microgynon prescription always being asked whether I smoke, and I remember having a blood pressure test every time. Back then I was a social smoker, now, unfortunately I am a daily smoker, trying to quit!

So, given everything I have mentioned above, I would love to hear back from you ladies with some advice as to whether you consider it wise to just start taking microgynon 30 again without seeing a doctor, or incredibly stupid. If not microgynon 30, is there a safer alternative that perhaps I could start myself on for now, or is that not a good idea either?

Any advice welcomed :)

Thank you x

p.s. please don't tell me to step smoking - I hear that from myself enough times every day!!!!! ;)

As you may know, one of the potential risks of taking oral contraceptives is a slight increase in the risk of blood clots. This risk is much elevated in women who smoke.

The general guidance is that women who are aged 35 and over and who smoke, should not take the pill. It is not absolutely contraindicated in smokers under the age of 35 but they still run an increased risk of serious side effects compared to non-smokers.

The above is pretty much all a doctor can tell you (assuming there is nothing else pertinent in your medical history). A doctor would also check your blood pressure as you should not  take the pill if you are hypertensive.   So if planning to restart the pill on your own, if you haven't had your BP checked recently, do so first. Most pharmacies can do this.

Assuming you are under 35 and not hypertensive, and no other underlying medical conditions, the pill is not contraindicated, but  you need to decide for yourself if you are Ok with the slight increase risk of blood clots due to being a smoker.

. If you do opt to take the pill, it should be one of the second generation ones, as these appear to be a little safer for smokers (though smokers are still at elevated risk). Microgynon is a a second generation pill and Microgynon 30 is available here.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, dieter1 said:

what to do  when acne like symptoms  appear all the time using BCP  ?

A change in pill may help. Suggest seeing a GYN and explaining the problem.

The pills that tend to cause acne contain, in addition to an estrogen, one of these progestens: norgestrel, norethindrone acetate and levonorgestrel. If on one of those and suffering acne, a change in pill will probably help.

Pills that instead contain drospirenone or cyproterone acetate are less likely to cause acne and may even help it . Justima, Yaz and Yasmin are some brands that contain  drospirenone. They vary in their estrogen dosage though so need to consider a number of factors including risk factors for complications of estrogen and also whether there is ever a tendency to forget a dose.  Lower estrogen dose is safer in terms of estrogen associated health risks but mush more likely to result in pregnancy if a dose is missed.

Hi, Sherryl after reading the forum about the BCP, I found out that you help/answer all the questions ask. 

Please help me, give me some advise. 

I will try to take BCP as a cure for my acne. as I do have the hormonal imbalance that cause a break out and acne on my face.

Can you suggest what BCP should I take? 

Thanks in advance! 

- lei 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i have a question... i am a user of diane pills germany for 6 years.. i didnt get pregnant until now. the problem is i switch into diane pill thailand,  are diane pill thailand are contraceptive? are these birth control? thank you. please reply..

i have a question... i am a user of diane pills germany for 6 years.. i didnt get pregnant until now. the problem is i switch into diane pill thailand,  are diane pill thailand are contraceptive? are these birth control? thank you. please reply..

Yes, Diane pills are a contraceptive.

I assume you mean "Diane-35"

Are you saying you have gotten pregnant despite taking them? Did you miss any doses?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there hope you can help. I was recommended to take a progesterone only pill by my doc at home as I am a smoker. What brands are available in Thailand and are they as effective? I have stopped taking the pill for 2 years previously because of mood swings and lack of sex drive I feel more balanced now but am more sexually active again and want to be protected. Will progesterone only pills set me back again and what brand is best available here? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the knowledgeable help!

Archived