Best bars to watch football in and have a chat?

roro1990

Hi,

I'm living in Chiang Mai and I'm looking for a decent bar to watch football in with friendly people. I prefer places where they play the commentary as opposed to loud music. 

I went to Ratvithi road on Sunday but the Chiang Mai Saloon was full of huge groups of backpackers, making it impossible to strike up conversation. I'm only 27 myself but I like places with less of a raucous party atmosphere. The U.N. Irish Pub also had plenty of groups and seemingly no solo travellers. 

Anyone here have a particular recommendation for a decent sports bar with friendly customers? Thanks. 

you can come to us! Radost Cafe & Sports Bar, we have free pool, Darts and free oosball, (www.radostcm.com) we are in soi 9, moonmuang, we play Premier League, Spanish League and Bundesliga, also the late games, when all the other bars are closed. But to watch this games you have to be in our bar before 11.45 pm, 

we don´t let anybody in after this time, we have 3 V´s (soon 4) and we put the english comentary on.

You find here people from all over the world, 

15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Downunder is full of aussies, OP said he want's to have a chat not an argument :biggrin:

His profile doesn't say where he's from and there is more than one sort of football. If he meant the soccer variety, well then there is a great chance he'll end up in an argument.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Downunder is full of aussies, OP said he want's to have a chat not an argument :biggrin:

I don't know why anyone would expect a pub with that name to be otherwise in terms of the nationality there.

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Jesus.. he's looking for a bar, not a retirement home.

Agreed! Mad Dog otherwise known as "Dead Mens Shoes",  youre only entitled to a seat if the previous occupant died recently! They look at you like the locals looked at the American guys in "American Werewolf In London"......oooh, ahhrr....youre not from round here are you?!

If it is US football you are talking about then the UN Irish Pub is a decent place. Games are delayed so you need to look at their website to see which games are being shown at which time.  Also, since games are on a delayed broadcast, you need to stay off the Internet for a day or so to have the experience of not knowing who is going to win. I always go by myself and usually meet affable folks at the table, often folks younger than myself. I do avoid the one or two faces I recognize from photos here on ThaiVisa.

Sod a dog but none of you even mentioned O'Malleys as a fine place to watch a variety of sports. I have been there to watch the American version of football, rugby, Irish Football and Hurling, Boxing, MotoGP, Formula1. Scott the owner has one of those Android boxes and will happily search for whatever floats your boat sportwise.

6 hours ago, EL159 said:

Well done, idman, advertising that the place in question uses an illegal method to play his sports coverage! Not a great idea. So called android boxes provide illegal coverage!

Yeah well, like you had to just go and shout that out also....,  

1 hour ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Great thanks for that..., I'm there when my team plays..., in fact I don't mind watching any AFL team playing..., well, any team accepting Collingwood that is !! :wai:

I have been there twice and being a Swans supporter I watched last years GF and this year when Collingwood won by 1 point.

Last time I was in Chiang Mai and the Swans played I watched on my computer and they won.

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Yeah well, like you had to just go and shout that out also....,  

Sorry, but I just get constantly annoyed by all the people on here who run the following two totally contradictory lines:

1. "Truevisions? Rip off, rubbbish, not worth the money....blah, blah, blah"

2. " I m trying to watch football on this ( illegal) android box thingy and boo hoo, it doesnt work very well..."

You pay your money, you take your choice, but stop whingeing when the cheap option doesnt work very well!!

On 8/16/2017 at 5:55 PM, BarnicaleBob said:

B&B Sugar Bar, on Kotchasam Rd, just south of Loi Kroh Rd, owned by an American who loves to play American football on all of his big screens.  No bar girls to hassle you and good food or snacks to go with your drinks while you watch the game. 

Do you know if he shows NBA basketball? Love it.

8 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Yes. The American owner is back in the colonies and will be for sometime for medical reasons. Hopefully the games will go on at B&B Sugar Bar.

Best of luck to him. Obviously providing a real service.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best place is Winstons 
A new sports-pool club with a very appealing layout and it actually is a real sports bar. 

The wide choice of live sports and the beautiful friendly bi lingual staff is a great asset. 
There is 1 overhead projector on a large screen & 5 x 55" TV Screens around to cover most major games or matches. 
Main events generally go on the overhead screen, staff will try to cater for everyone, generally its first come first serve.
Sitting across the main road from Central Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Mall, Winstons is Big, but warming, its comfortable, very well laid out, clean light and airy. 
40 people can be seated at tables, 10 in the VIP corner, and 12 around the bar. There is seating outside available. 

There are 2 pool tables, (one American type pool table and the other table standard competition table) 
The prices are very reasonable and a nice surprise for such an up market looking place. this suits locals and foreigners. 
There is free food every other Saturday, (6pm-9pm)
Plenty of dry parking below the club. There is a very small charge by the authorities, but this can be redeemed at the bar. 
There are clean toilets on the premises. 

20664823_139307119900760_6952996569725129193_n.JPEG

Archived